Attendings: How many of you work post-call?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently do a regular day post-call if not up most of the night. This is modified if cases went overnight, and may result in a post-call day off if the OR ran beyond 3 AM.

Curious to hear your situations.

Members don't see this ad.

Post call always off. We do 3p-7a Monday through Friday/Saturday morning. Sat/Sun are 24 hours. We do back up call where if you did work in the middle of the night you'd be expected back but that's very unlikely to happen though one time while I was on call I got 3 cases at once at 2 am. We have two CRNAs on home call but fortunately I was able to convince OB that their "urgent" C/S had to wait.

I should add that I take call from home.

While it sounds appealing to some to do it this way (versus in-house), my suspicion is that its true purpose is to avoid giving automatic days off post-call.

Another limitation that this imposes is that you must be within a fairly small radius in case you're needed back at the hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
Home call. Rare to get called in after heading home. I can count 4-5 times in the last year I've been called in at night. Post call day is a full workday. After having done in house call in a busy trauma center and always having the post call day off, my current set up is much preferred.

Always "available" post call until 3pm... but that comes with a $1000 price tag + minutes and units if called in. :D

Got crushed this weekend. Friday-Sunday... felt like residency. :mad:
Our calls are usually pretty benign... but not always (AAA, emergent heart, or like this weekend... ortho train from the 90 y/o sick as s**t hip fractues...).

Despite being available, we get called in post call 10-50% of the time depending on the time of the year (spring break, december, etc being busy). Usually a couple easy cases and then home.

I would say 80% of the time I'm home on first call by 8pm. 20% of the time I get called back in for a labor epidural.

Everyone has post call day assigned off...But because of trades the hungry docs will often work someone else's call for the call compensation. Then work their own scheduled "regular" day while the guy who gave away his call gets the post call day off.

Some of the hungry docs work well over 100 hours/week routinely in my practice.

While it sounds appealing to some to do it this way (versus in-house), my suspicion is that its true purpose is to avoid giving automatic days off post-call.

yeah, i agree that's what it is. for you guys who get the next day off completely - are you on call by yourself, or supervising crna?

at my old job, we were on call from home with the crna in-house and they called us in for any operative cases; worked the next day no matter what til about noon-ish, occasionally the whole day.

always have day off after call. weekdays, we come in at 1 or 2 pm, and stay until 7 am. saturday and sunday are 24 hours, 7am to 7am. occasionally you'll hang around to help get a few cases started, but never really stay past 7:30 or 8:00. We stay in house and have 1 CRNA in house with us. We have one CRNA and one MD backing us up from home (almost never get called in at night). Usually do a few labor epidurals over night and maybe a case or two. occasionally crank all night long, and occasionally sleep through the night. I would not work at a job where I don't have the day off after call.

Home call. Weekday Trauma/ add on call is 6A-6A. Weekday OB is 6P-6A with another guy covering 6A-6P. Weekends we have 3 guys on rotating between Trauma, OB, and backup call in 12 hour shifts.

Always assigned the second shortest row post trauma/ add on call and always assigned 3rd shortest row post OB call (the call guy gets the shortest row).

Sometimes you work, sometimes you don't. Some days you want to work, some days you don't. If you aren't working, you aren't making money.

- pod

In-house 'til the cases are done (usually 7-10p), then on call from home with in-house CRNA. Cases go all night or I get called back for a case < 1 per quarter. Post-call day is technically off, but we all have academic responsibilities that keep us in the hospital on those post-call days. In the ICU, I'm on 7-at-a-time, on call from home each night, and off (well, non-clinical, as above) the Monday following the week in the ICU.

We do 1:18 in house OB call. 1130AM-0700 AM. Post call days always off
1:18 call from home, rare callbacks (1-2x per year). Work post call

drccw

7a-7a OB non trauma small community hosp, sometimes sleep all night in house. Usually work next day, first one to go home. So... 24-32h shift.

7a-7a OB non trauma small community hosp, sometimes sleep all night in house. Usually work next day, first one to go home. So... 24-32h shift.

Sounds like inefficient use of manpower unless OB is busy. Hope you get a fat stipend for sleeping in the hospital.

We are 5pm-7am in house......once or twice a month.....trauma center....usually work til 10pm-1am....off postcall.