Attention Baylor Students!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lookleft

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 4th year student who will be in Houston for a month. I have some family obligations that require me to be in Houston. I need to fill this month with an away rotation, and am looking for a rotation that requires the least amount of time. Which rotations would you suggest, again because of my out of school obligations I would prefer something very low demanding. I know some rotations the attendings don't even care if you show up as a 4th year and you can get away coming in 3-4 days a week, or leaving at noon.

Any help would be very much appreicated. Thank You.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What you should do is go and search the elective catalog at the bcm website.

Here are some fairly laid back rotations that I know about:

Radiology (only offered in certain months though)
Dermatology
Ophthomology
Neurology (easy at certain sites only)

What you should do is go and search the elective catalog at the bcm website.

Here are some fairly laid back rotations that I know about:

Radiology (only offered in certain months though)
Dermatology
Ophthomology
Neurology (easy at certain sites only)

However, I still wouldn't count on getting away with coming in only 3-4x a week and leaving at noon. Sure, that could always happen, but it's still somewhat attending/resident/hospital dependent. On ophtho, I was there 8am-6pm while classmates were leaving at 2 or 3. The cush derm selective is a 2-week thing for Baylor students. I have no idea what the derm elective is like.

it's been a super long time since i logged on here, but it's a good thing i did because i'm in ms. a's class but have a bit more info.

The monthlong derm elective at Ben Taub is a cinch - i haven't taken it but i know many who have, and from what i understand you're only working 3 or 4 days per week and of the rest, some are half days to my understanding. keep in mind that all baylor clinical students have thursday afternoons "off" for class/preceptor, so no one will miss you thurs after 1:00 no matter what you're on.

the general radiology elective at Ben Taub is also pretty cush (as cush as you want it to be, as with any radi-holiday rotation) but very difficult to get as it fills up super fast. doing radiology at a different hospital will NOT be a cush experience, an unfortunate few in our class have suffered through that.

some students here take a monthlong "clinical ethics" elective, to fulfull requirements for the "ethics track," which i hear is also super cush - lots of short days and such. not sure if visiting students can take it, but definitely worth looking into.

those are the cushies that come to mind. i'm sure there are random cush experiences here and there (had a friend who did a month of pedi allergy/immunology which seemed pretty chill), but i can't really speak to those. of course if you haven't already, you can also check out UT-houston opportunities. good luck!

pedi derm at TCH is SUPER cush from what i hear. 3 days a week and some of them only half days. ridiculous.

pedi derm at TCH is SUPER cush from what i hear. 3 days a week and some of them only half days. ridiculous.

Good luck getting into it. In July I tried to get into the November slot, and it's full. They take 1 person per month. Not only do derm people want to do it, but all the pedi people want it as well.