Attention Drew/UCLA Applicants...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

+ve

Keep Ur Head Up!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This article is from March 29 JBHE Weekly Bulletin

Black Medical School to File Suit Against Los Angeles County

The administration of the Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science in Los Angeles has announced that it plans to file a $125 million lawsuit against the county government. The historically black medical school claims the county unfairly severed its connection with the school and its teaching hospital placing its 248 medical residents in "educational limbo."

The county downsized the hospital after it failed an inspection and was at risk of losing $200 million in federal funding. In order to maintain the funding, the hospital board voted to downsize the facility and end its role as a teaching facility.

The complaint filed by the medical school alleges that public officials "have sought and continue to seek to make Charles Drew University the scapegoat for the county's betrayal of its obligations to the impoverished and medically underserved in our community."

After hearing of the plans for the lawsuit, Mike Antonovich, a county supervisor who has been highly critical of the university's performance, said, "Drew University will fail in court as they failed as a medical school."

Members don't see this ad.

“Drew University will fail in court as they failed as a medical school.”

That's very harsh! those of you who interviewed there, what did you think? have they decided where you guys will do your 3rd and 4th year clinical rotations? I declined my interview there only because they seem to be having some issues right now. I applaud them for their mission and commitment to underserved.

After hearing of the plans for the lawsuit, Mike Antonovich, a county supervisor who has been highly critical of the university's performance, said, "Drew University will fail in court as they failed as a medical school."

Wow, I can't believe he said that. It is as if he is orchestrating their failure. I read the claims the school filed in the lawsuit and they were valid with strong defenses for the claims filed. I interviewed there and they seemed confident in their ability to prevail in the face of this adversity. They said that the 3rd and 4th year clerkships are done through UCLA (Harbor, Olive View) as well as other locations in the underserved communities of LA. When I asked the students what they would change about the school if they could change one thing, one student stated that he wished he could do more rotations through the Drew/MLK (Now named MLK-Harbor) Hospital and the other students strongly agreed. They said they they really enjoyed working with the Drew faculty and had the opportunity to get more hands- on experience in such venues. I applaud the school and it's mission. I haven't heard back from them yet and despite the problems they are having, I think it is still a very strong program. The issue with the hospital is something that is a problem faced by many public hospitals. It is unfortunate that the huge region that the hospital served is now forced to travel miles for healthcare. I only hope that this situation is fixed expediently for the sake of those individuals. Although the hospital went under review for very legitimate reasons, it is my opinion that people like Mr. Antonovich fail to realize how much shutting down that hospital for good will hurt that community in South LA.
Okay, enough of my rambling...