Attention Fall of '10! Letter of Recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoCalAud

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since you all have finished the application process, would you mind sharing with us some advice for the letter of recommendations?

If I ask a professor who knows me well as a student and as an individual, do I have to tell them to write a letter of recommendation following a certain format by the school of my interest? For instance, if University of Colorado has a document on their website that is accessible and ready for us to print out, does that mean my professor has to go by that print out and fill it in or can they write their own way? I hope that makes sense to you all! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Since you all have finished the application process, would you mind sharing with us some advice for the letter of recommendations?

If I ask a professor who knows me well as a student and as an individual, do I have to tell them to write a letter of recommendation following a certain format by the school of my interest? For instance, if University of Colorado has a document on their website that is accessible and ready for us to print out, does that mean my professor has to go by that print out and fill it in or can they write their own way? I hope that makes sense to you all! :)

Yes I have some advice.
Okay so some schools have forms that they want you to use for recommendations. You should use those forms, if the school does not have a form then the professor or audiologist (professional) will know what to write. It usually has to be on the University's letterhead, if not in the specific school form. Again, the professor or professional will know this. What I did, and I received great feedback, was put everything in a folder (pocket folder) with the school's forms, addressed envelopes (stamped) and due date. This makes it easier for them to navigate through your 5-10 forms/schools. For schools without forms, I just wrote a letter to the professor with the due date and envelope pre-adressed and stamped. Hope this helps!
It also is worth your time to ask early!! This is a great way to get started on the application process and start writing your letter of intent/personal statement now.

Thanks!

I applied to a MANY schools when I was applying for grad schools. I felt sooo bad for the people who were writing me letters, because each school pretty much required a different form or format for submission.

You really have to make it clear, convenient and organized for anyone serving as a reference for you. I gave all of my people about a year advanced notice. When I had all of my information together for all the schools I composed a letter to each person with the following outline:

1. Introduction of what I am applying for
2. How they are affiliated with me
ie: if for a professor: what courses I took and how I performed in their class. qualities that make me a good student that would succeed in grad school
3. What my goals are with the degree and why I would be good at it
4. Specific deadline and pertanent information to each program/school, etc.

I had a professor request an additional copy of my letter so he could show other students for future requests.

I also supplied my resume. In regards to the forms, I printed everything and provided stamped envelopes for them to mail what they could. And wrote out specific and clear directions to do online submissions.

I hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
oh yes! I also included my unofficial transcripts and letter of intent to the professors in their folders!!

oh yes! I also included my unofficial transcripts and letter of intent to the professors in their folders!!

Oh yea... good add. I totally forgot about that. I didn't add either of those... but if I could do it all over again, I sooo would!

Yes, if one of your schools provides a form, then the professor should stick to that form. When I was asking people for recommendations, I brought them a big fat envelope with my personal statement, transcript, and resume. I also included a sheet with instructions for each program, as well as any forms provided by those programs. Finally, I included an addressed and stamped envelope for each program.

Remember to:

• Set an appointment to meet with your referee - explain to them the competitiveness of the program, limited seats etc.
  • During the appointment - illustrate why the AuD is what you want.
  • Provide them with an updated CV.
  • Provide them with unofficial transcripts.
  • Give them adequate time. 1 month min - 2 months max notice
  • Provide them with any other forms that schools require. Some schools like Washington U at St Louis require a supplementary form. Print this for them.
  • Try to use the online upload option - this is the best! Your referees will find this convenient.

WOW! I didn't expect to get answers from anyone so soon! Thank you all! :) I'll be sure to take care of all this asap!