Attention Slow Talkers - Interview Research Paper that got me in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

shtumpa

Juggler
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
n=1, but interested to hear if anyone can relate to this:

So first time around I got 4 interviews but no acceptances. I had worked hard on preparing for the interview and got multiple people to give me mock interviews and give me advice [some who did not know me]. I was consistently praised for speaking methodically and not having speaking fillers ["uh" "you know" etc...].

No acceptances.

Second time around I came across the following research article [forbes] that studied interviews and came to an interesting conclusion - the only things that mattered were:

1) Speech Rate
2) Assertiveness

So this year I forgot all about everything except I made sure to speak pretty quickly and forcefully. Found myself "Umming" all over the place and blanking out on words which I felt really awkward about...but suddenly interviews are translating into acceptances! Nice.

Of course it is possible that there is no real correlation and it was just by chance. I did not really enhance my resume in a meaningful way over the year [worked 50-60 hours a week in non-related field]


I don't think the research is very conclusive [limited age group, location, interviewer careers/positions, etc...] but it worked for me.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Assertiveness shows confidence so that makes sense.

Funny thing is I FELT much less confident...I think this is Tony Robbin's secret. I once heard him say absolutely nothing for 20 minutes in machine gun rapid fire and people were having orgasms...