Attn August '02 MCATers: When will you start studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctora Foxy

Meow
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you typically start studying when the school year is over or are you already doing it? What about reapplicants who are waiting to get in now (like me)--when will you start studying just in case?

Members don't see this ad.

I dunno about everyone else, but I'm gonna start studying as soon as I get my April scores back. :wink:

I would say study whenever you have tim euntil school ends. I.e. if your friend is driving you somewhere on spring break, bring your MCAT book. Just my .02

Members don't see this ad :)
when i took the exam in august . . . i didnt start studing until i believe end of june . . . but im not positive . . . but what i did to prepare for it was to just take TONS AND TONS of practice exams . . . during the week i believed that i took 3 full length practice exams . . . and studied what i got wrong . . . if you are taking one of those course review class . . . i would recommend, if youre not doing anything else this summer because otherwise itwould be hard, to just finish that in a month if possible or sooner since summer is only three months . . . and take tons of practice tests and study what you got wrong . . . i also recommend on top of that to do two verbal passages a day . . . with this i can probably almost guarantee you a score above a 30 . . . it worked for me . . . my girlfriend who scored a 36 and her kaplan diag was a 21 . . . and another friend of mine . . . well good luck studying . . . oh and i heard that the format changed for the august mcat . . something about verbal being at the end and less questions on the exam as a whole . . im not to sure about that but u should probably check with one of those course review centers .. . alright . . . good luck!

3 weeks before...like i'm doing for the april one! (willing to do anything to get off those darn waitlists)

I took the August '00 MCAT. I received my April scores in mid-June and started studying the Monday after I got them. I only studied 5-6 weeks though. I quit at the end of July when I had a very good friend die suddenly from a drug OD. It can be done in a month or so, you really just need to concentrate on your stuff.

Remember:
You can never study too much, but you can definetely study too little. Be on the safe side and start VERY early.

I'm starting 2nd week of May, 14 weeks out from the test. I'm taking 1 full length MCAT every Saturday, Studying the material and taking topicals Monday-Friday, and Working a 12 as a phlebotomist on Sundays. I'm giving this test my all the first try so that I'm not on here talking about preparing to take it a 3rd time, 4th time, etc. in years to come. :cool:

Mid June after my overseas health promotion project :clap:
What's up with the change in format?
I know it's changing after this year for sure, but is it changing for august?

It will be the same this August. Next April will be the first "new MCAT". Though not a lot is changing, as far as I can see...