ATTN Canadians Graduating 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jefguth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you planning to apply for licensure in Ontario this coming year, just a heads up about the Ontario Jurisprudence Exam (aka the law exam you need to pass in orders to practice in the province of ontario).

Well it's scheduled for May 14th 2009. I don't know the schedule at most other optometry schools, but this coincides with graduation ceremonies and events at ICO.

Considering this scheduling dilemma, I was wondering if there are any students at other schools with similar conflicts since I intent to contact the Ontario College of Optometrist to ask/beg them to offer an alternative date.

If you're graduating 2009, planning to apply for an Ontario license and have a significant scheduling conflict with May 14th, please post a reply below.

Thank you,

Jeff Guthrie

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you planning to apply for licensure in Ontario this coming year, just a heads up about the Ontario Jurisprudence Exam (aka the law exam you need to pass in orders to practice in the province of ontario).

Well it's scheduled for May 14th 2009. I don't know the schedule at most other optometry schools, but this coincides with graduation ceremonies and events at ICO.

Considering this scheduling dilemma, I was wondering if there are any students at other schools with similar conflicts since I intent to contact the Ontario College of Optometrist to ask/beg them to offer an alternative date.

If you're graduating 2009, planning to apply for an Ontario license and have a significant scheduling conflict with May 14th, please post a reply below.

Thank you,

Jeff Guthrie

my cousin married a girl who had was from ontario, and she had to avoid undergoing the ceremonies in order to do that examination.

i'm sure they will not change the date from what i hear.

Thank you,

Jeff Guthrie

good job on graduating. seemed a bit fast from what i recall. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Skip your graduation and do the canadian boards if you want to start practicing there immediately after graduation. Otherwise, go to your graduation and do the boards the year after. They won't change the date for you, especially for the practicum because they have so many doctors coming in to grade you who take time out of their own work schedule, not to mention the patients that have to sit for your practicum.

Well it's scheduled for May 14th 2009

Hey,

Where did you see that it is scheduled for May 14?

I just received confirmation of my board exam application and the schedule that was emailed to me says that the first afternoon during the board exams is set aside for the provincial jurisprudence exams. I'm doing the early sitting, so that works out to April 29 for me. I imagine it would be the same for the later sitting, but that wouldn't be until May 27 or so.

Unless Ontario has opted not to use those time slots and instead offer a single sitting in between?

Hey,

Where did you see that it is scheduled for May 14?

I just received confirmation of my board exam application and the schedule that was emailed to me says that the first afternoon during the board exams is set aside for the provincial jurisprudence exams. I'm doing the early sitting, so that works out to April 29 for me. I imagine it would be the same for the later sitting, but that wouldn't be until May 27 or so.

Unless Ontario has opted not to use those time slots and instead offer a single sitting in between?

My post was not about the CSAO ("canadian board exams") which are being held either at the end of april and also at the end of may - it was about the Ontario Jurisprudence exam which is scheduled to be held May 14th with an orientation on the 13th.

Go to the Ontario College of Optometrists website and click on calendar to find the dates listed for the law exam.

I see that on the College website now.

What i was saying is that in the board exam schedule i was sent, the first afternoon is set aside for Provincial Jurisprudence exams. So, it seems as if those of us writing the board exams are able to take care of the Provincial exam at the same time.... whereas the May 14th writing may be intended for people only needing to write the provincial exam.

I know that people who wrote the board exams last year took the provincial exam at the same time.

I see that on the College website now.

What i was saying is that in the board exam schedule i was sent, the first afternoon is set aside for Provincial Jurisprudence exams. So, it seems as if those of us writing the board exams are able to take care of the Provincial exam at the same time.... whereas the May 14th writing may be intended for people only needing to write the provincial exam.

I know that people who wrote the board exams last year took the provincial exam at the same time.

I contacted the Canadian examiners, this is what they had to say:

Canadian Examiners in Optometry offers to administer jurisprudence exams on behalf of the provincial regulators; however, not all provinces opt to have CEO administer this exam. The provinces of Ontario and British Columbia administer their own jurisprudence exam on their own schedule. Therefore, any published dates from these provinces are the only dates that the jurisprudence is offered.

Thanks for looking into that.