AUA help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
So I have read all previous threads and I know a lot of ppl aren't supportive of med school in the islands. I applied to AUA and am waiting to hear back. I would really just like to know more about the school. I don't want disclaimers to not go to the islands but more of people who have been to AUA or graduated from there and what the teaching staff is like and how the classes are.

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted to AUA last year, and was a bit excited until I did a ton more research by connecting with AUA alumni from their website, as well as doing a lot of research on my own. I was then accepted to St Georges and there was just no comparison.... Even from the start in my interview when I asked questions and did my research, AUA just seemed like a huge risk and a bit sketchy with some stuff, so I chose SGU. Just do your research, talk to alumni and current students if you can, and just know that AUA should be a last resort school. I just didn't get a good feeling from it.

Reactions: 1 user
I was accepted to AUA last year, and was a bit excited until I did a ton more research by connecting with AUA alumni from their website, as well as doing a lot of research on my own. I was then accepted to St Georges and there was just no comparison.... Even from the start in my interview when I asked questions and did my research, AUA just seemed like a huge risk and a bit sketchy with some stuff, so I chose SGU. Just do your research, talk to alumni and current students if you can, and just know that AUA should be a last resort school. I just didn't get a good feeling from it.
Thank you so much for your reply! Do you mind sharing about what stuff made you not chose AUA? They connected me with an alumni so I'm waiting to speak with them sometime this week...im just nervous because I'm seeing a lot of mixed reviews and I had originally thought it was a great school being that it was in top 5 in the islands.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you need to do your research with true and recent statistics to get your own opinion on AUA. From what i've heard from a friend that recently finished her coursework on the island, she noted that a lot of the professors are horrible, mostly MDs or PhDs from the islands.. now, i'm at SGU and we do have the same problem with some "island trained/taught professors", and some of them are okay, but most are horrible.. I can't imagine having lots of them at AUA. Nevertheless, she also noted the disorganization with classes and rotations. Other than that, she had mixed feelings and the alumni I talked to last year graduated around 2014-2016 so things have changed a bit since then. I'd strongly recommend doing in depth research to make sure AUA is the right choice for you, and it should really be a last last resort choice. Even though it's not a "bottom med school" like their sister school MUA, AUA isn't horrible. It is cheaper and smaller class sizes, and I know they do have a partnership with FIU.. but, still, when you are applying for residency, SGU or Ross is just so much more known than AUA.. it's not a matter of getting into med school or staying in, it's a matter of getting residency.. that's your goal. I mostly chose SGU because of the name and connections SGU has.

I don't really think "top 5" exits.. because it used to be the big 3, then some people added SABA so it became top 4, now top 5 with AUA? I still firmly believe in the big 3 (SGU, Ross, AUC).. other than that, do your research and be careful. I don't think Saba and AUA should be noted as a top carib med school... perhaps second tier, but not top. This isn't something you want to rush into. If you can get your MCAT up and get into SGU or Ross for January, try that? No offense, but some of the second tier med schools like AUA and Saba accept students that have a bit lower stats, which means maybe you aren't as prepared. Therefore, if you're going to a carib med school with mediocre resources how do you think you will survive? It's not about getting in, it's about staying in, and getting a residency. I'm not saying you can't do it, heck you may do really well at AUA, but even at SGU they accept a good amount of students that just aren't ready or prepared for med school- either academically, socially, financially, etc... All i'm saying is that it's risky, and you want to minimize your risk as much as you can, so go to a better carib med school if you can.

It's sometimes very difficult to walk the line about how much to disclose when writing anonymously on these forums. One runs the risk of "outing" oneself if too much is said, and it can then become easier to discern who a poster is in real life. While doxxing is expressly prohibited on this forum, it doesn't mean that people who don't like what you say - and with some minimal effort - can then determine who you are in real life and potentially use what you write here against you... in real life. Adverse opinions posted that countervail the current cultural zeitgeist can have very real - and dire - consequences if they become attributable, including loss of employment. (I know for a fact that a similar-type incident happened to a physician personally known to me, and he was summarily terminated for cause from his former group.)

Suffice it to say that, when someone happens to disagree with something I post, it humors me when one of the strategies used against that argument is the "poison the well" type, because I have been far more actively involved in GME than I always let on. I work with all manor of medical students, graduate trainees, and faculty-level attendings who discuss these and other matters on a daily basis. We'll leave it at that. I try to protect my anonymity.

With that said, back to the point...

I've said it before innumerable times on this forum, but it bears repeating:
  1. The "stigma" of being a matriculant of a Caribbean medical school is leveled, if not erased, when you are invited to a residency interview. The key point there is getting invited to the interview. With that, choosing the right school is paramount.
  2. All schools have a track record. All of them. Programs also have a track record. Even U.S. schools and programs. Sometimes, by either superiority or necessity, a student/graduate of a lesser-known, lesser-established Caribbean school will get a spot at a program de novo and unexpectedly. This person has a lot on their shoulders, whether they realize it or not, because the subsequent experience with that person will sort of prejudice that program about how well they were "pre-trained" (i.e., have the foundations) in undergrad med.
  3. LoRs matter. Scores matter. How you dress/act/interact on the interview trail matters.
  4. Go back to the honey hole where you caught the most fish. What do I mean by that? Every school has a list of graduates that got into a program somewhere. Those are the programs one should apply to. That is your best chance at getting into a residency program.
The program that I am affiliated with just accepted a graduate from one of the lesser-known Carib schools. I'm not going to, apropos of the above, tell you who or where. But, suffice it to say, there will be a lot of scrutiny on this person, who is just completing their internship. So far, my interaction has been a little weak with this doctor. Some stuff I would expect any graduate from any medical school anywhere to know... eh... we'll see. I just seemed to get a glazed look.

And, that's the key: graduate programs expect you to know the basics when you graduate from medical school. We don't want to have to teach you how to compose an H&P, how to navigate your way around a hospital, how to talk to people in a professional manner, etc. Just because you got into residency doesn't mean you're going to stay in residency. The GME landscape is littered with bodies of trainees who didn't get their contracts renewed.

So, what's the big picture? Your focus in choosing a school is getting into residency. And, when you get there, staying in residency. There are many schools in the Caribbean - and elsewhere - who will help you to achieve this. Some are riskier than others. But, know that just because you got into residency doesn't automatically mean you are prepared to be there and/or you're gonna finish your training. Be vigilant. Make good choices about the school you choose based on their specific track record of getting graduates into residency in the geographical area you want to train and live, and in the program you want to train. Do not focus on the supposed "Big 3" or "Big 4" or "Big 5" or whatever - it's irrelevant. That progressively becomes less and less important the farther along you go and the more and more you are judged as an individual. Focus on the things I said above. And know that, until you have finished your training, have an independent license, are board-certified, and are out in practice, the scrutiny does not end.... and, even after that, you will have peer review.

Make sure you want all of this. It is not so much about the stigma of being a Carib graduate. It is more about your own individual accomplishments and the image you cultivate as a calm, professional, competent medical professional who regularly demonstrates sound, practical knowledge and good judgment. That starts now.

-Skip

Reactions: 2 users
It's sometimes very difficult to walk the line about how much to disclose when writing anonymously on these forums. One runs the risk of "outing" oneself if too much is said, and it can then become easier to discern who a poster is in real life. While doxxing is expressly prohibited on this forum, it doesn't mean that people who don't like what you say - and with some minimal effort - can then determine who you are in real life and potentially use what you write here against you... in real life. Adverse opinions posted that countervail the current cultural zeitgeist can have very real - and dire - consequences if they become attributable, including loss of employment. (I know for a fact that a similar-type incident happened to a physician personally known to me, and he was summarily terminated for cause from his former group.)

Suffice it to say that, when someone happens to disagree with something I post, it humors me when one of the strategies used against that argument is the "poison the well" type, because I have been far more actively involved in GME than I always let on. I work with all manor of medical students, graduate trainees, and faculty-level attendings who discuss these and other matters on a daily basis. We'll leave it at that. I try to protect my anonymity.

With that said, back to the point...

I've said it before innumerable times on this forum, but it bears repeating:
  1. The "stigma" of being a matriculant of a Caribbean medical school is leveled, if not erased, when you are invited to a residency interview. The key point there is getting invited to the interview. With that, choosing the right school is paramount.
  2. All schools have a track record. All of them. Programs also have a track record. Even U.S. schools and programs. Sometimes, by either superiority or necessity, a student/graduate of a lesser-known, lesser-established Caribbean school will get a spot at a program de novo and unexpectedly. This person has a lot on their shoulders, whether they realize it or not, because the subsequent experience with that person will sort of prejudice that program about how well they were "pre-trained" (i.e., have the foundations) in undergrad med.
  3. LoRs matter. Scores matter. How you dress/act/interact on the interview trail matters.
  4. Go back to the honey hole where you caught the most fish. What do I mean by that? Every school has a list of graduates that got into a program somewhere. Those are the programs one should apply to. That is your best chance at getting into a residency program.
The program that I am affiliated with just accepted a graduate from one of the lesser-known Carib schools. I'm not going to, apropos of the above, tell you who or where. But, suffice it to say, there will be a lot of scrutiny on this person, who is just completing their internship. So far, my interaction has been a little weak with this doctor. Some stuff I would expect any graduate from any medical school anywhere to know... eh... we'll see. I just seemed to get a glazed look.

And, that's the key: graduate programs expect you to know the basics when you graduate from medical school. We don't want to have to teach you how to compose an H&P, how to navigate your way around a hospital, how to talk to people in a professional manner, etc. Just because you got into residency doesn't mean you're going to stay in residency. The GME landscape is littered with bodies of trainees who didn't get their contracts renewed.

So, what's the big picture? Your focus in choosing a school is getting into residency. And, when you get there, staying in residency. There are many schools in the Caribbean - and elsewhere - who will help you to achieve this. Some are riskier than others. But, know that just because you got into residency doesn't automatically mean you are prepared to be there and/or you're gonna finish your training. Be vigilant. Make good choices about the school you choose based on their specific track record of getting graduates into residency in the geographical area you want to train and live, and in the program you want to train. Do not focus on the supposed "Big 3" or "Big 4" or "Big 5" or whatever - it's irrelevant. That progressively becomes less and less important the farther along you go and the more and more you are judged as an individual. Focus on the things I said above. And know that, until you have finished your training, have an independent license, are board-certified, and are out in practice, the scrutiny does not end.... and, even after that, you will have peer review.

Make sure you want all of this. It is not so much about the stigma of being a Carib graduate. It is more about your own individual accomplishments and the image you cultivate as a calm, professional, competent medical professional who regularly demonstrates sound, practical knowledge and good judgment. That starts now.

-Skip

do you have a bunch of files where you keep this drivel typed up and ready to go? i mean really you must have spent a while writing all that up and literally nothing about your response was helpful to the OP...

do you have a bunch of files where you keep this drivel typed up and ready to go? i mean really you must have spent a while writing all that up and literally nothing about your response was helpful to the OP...

I don't think they get it man. Don't waste your energy. His posts are never to the point. I honestly don't even believe that's a real person.

Op from experience the new curriculum is a train wreck. It’s called the next program made to increase the extremely low step 1 scores. It’s basically two exams per semester that count that are made by the NBME so the instructors have no clue what’s on them. There’s no lectures they expect you to learn on your own. There’s 3 short quizzes in between which are nothing like the two CAS exams and they don’t count solely for practice purposes.They don’t have a book store anymore so you’re expected to buy the physical texts before landing or the pdf versions from students on campus. In the fall there’s was a nearly 80 percent fail rate with most repeating to stay alive. The libraries have little space for the hundreds of incoming space so they literally emailed us to either study in our home rooms or at home. Oh the home rooms are made so that you can spend nearly two hours every other day trying to explain to each other the weekly lesson plans and make up your own questions and the instructor just looks on and is banned by university law from explaining what you are supposed to know. There’s cameras watching and one instructor was once angry at himself for explaining the material to us in fear of repercussions.It’s sort of figure it out on your own. By the way with this curriculum you are tested on the same material that you learned in semester 1 until semester 4 so if you have an amazing memory go ahead because there aren’t enough hours in the day to constantly go back and re learn everything. Again it’s at your own risk so good luck OP. It’s a pricy risk being that it is 32,000 per semester with 6.8 interest rate and 3/4 end up repeating to stay alive.

Op from experience the new curriculum is a train wreck. It’s called the next program made to increase the extremely low step 1 scores. It’s basically two exams per semester that count that are made by the NBME so the instructors have no clue what’s on them. There’s no lectures they expect you to learn on your own. There’s 3 short quizzes in between which are nothing like the two CAS exams and they don’t count solely for practice purposes.They don’t have a book store anymore so you’re expected to buy the physical texts before landing or the pdf versions from students on campus. In the fall there’s was a nearly 80 percent fail rate with most repeating to stay alive. The libraries have little space for the hundreds of incoming space so they literally emailed us to either study in our home rooms or at home. Oh the home rooms are made so that you can spend nearly two hours every other day trying to explain to each other the weekly lesson plans and make up your own questions and the instructor just looks on and is banned by university law from explaining what you are supposed to know. There’s cameras watching and one instructor was once angry at himself for explaining the material to us in fear of repercussions.It’s sort of figure it out on your own. By the way with this curriculum you are tested on the same material that you learned in semester 1 until semester 4 so if you have an amazing memory go ahead because there aren’t enough hours in the day to constantly go back and re learn everything. Again it’s at your own risk so good luck OP. It’s a pricy risk being that it is 32,000 per semester with 6.8 interest rate and 3/4 end up repeating to stay alive.

I have a friend there. I can verify that this is true.

Make sure that the alum you connect with has only recently graduated. AUA has the tendency of connecting students with doctors who have been practicing for years, which is bs imho. You need to hear from a grad who has only just started residency (so 1-2 years out).

Make sure that the alum you connect with has only recently graduated. AUA has the tendency of connecting students with doctors who have been practicing for years, which is bs imho. You need to hear from a grad who has only just started residency (so 1-2 years out).

this is a really good point. the islands and the carib schools change SO FAST that talking to someone who graduated even a few years ago is going to be totally different than someone on the island now, or someone still in clinicals.

this is a really good point. the islands and the carib schools change SO FAST that talking to someone who graduated even a few years ago is going to be totally different than someone on the island now, or someone still in clinicals.

But wait, what about @Skip Intro and the other people? lol, I'm sure their advice matters too.

... the carib schools change SO FAST that talking to someone who graduated even a few years ago is going to be totally different than someone on the island now...

You seriously have no absolutely zero clue what you're talking about.

But wait, what about @Skip Intro and the other people? lol, I'm sure their advice matters too.

:rolleyes:

Like anything you say is relevant.

-Skip

You seriously have no absolutely zero clue what you're talking about.

:rolleyes:

Like anything you say is relevant.

-Skip

Lol, skip taking the high road straight to the insults. Well here's the difference between you and I skip, I only asked REAL questions...questions that you don't have any answers for. You took one look at that last thread of mine and you were shooketh and retreated. I don't blame you either.

BTW, when exactly did you graduate medical school in the Caribbean? You know, just to remind those who might now know. Someone said early 2000's but I think that's wrong because that would mean that "...You seriously have no absolutely zero clue what you're talking about."

Even at SGU, an immense amount has changed over the past 2 months in the class schedule and teaching methods.. it'll always change, so talk to current students in classes or very recent clinical students. Alumni that did classes on the island 4+ years ago will probably have a different idea of what's going on today.

Even at SGU, an immense amount has changed over the past 2 months in the class schedule and teaching methods.. it'll always change, so talk to current students in classes or very recent clinical students. Alumni that did classes on the island 4+ years ago will probably have a different idea of what's going on today.

Exactly. AUA has a totally different curriculum from a few years ago. Ross isn't even located on an island right now. Some schools only got their accreditation in the last few years...the schools and islands change at a pretty fast pace.

I swear skip just argues with me to argue. I do not understand why you would argue that the schools are not different when there is literally verifiable proof that they have changed significantly...

Exactly. AUA has a totally different curriculum from a few years ago. Ross isn't even located on an island right now. Some schools only got their accreditation in the last few years...the schools and islands change at a pretty fast pace.

I swear skip just argues with me to argue. I do not understand why you would argue that the schools are not different when there is literally verifiable proof that they have changed significantly...

I will agree to this argument.

You bring up some good stuff man but some people just don't want to listen. When I learned that this skip guy graduated more than a decade ago, I just stop taking his advice seriously. What got you in a decade ago will not get you a residency today. I made an argument that the ideal candidate should have a certain GPA and MCAT before applying to SGU and these guys still want to make anti-Caribbean arguments lol.