AUA (no MCAT) vs. Ross/SGU/AUC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Williamseph97

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just had my Ross interview today. The admissions officer said I'd probably have to retake my MCAT that I took in 1997 since its too old, even though it was a good score (31). It would be a major PIA for me to study for the MCAT after having last looked at the basic science courses over a decade ago. The admissions rep at St. George's told me that I'd have to retake the MCAT, but that all I'd need would be around a 22.

AUA, on the other had, doesn't require the MCAT. However, no federal financial aid is available and AUA isn't recognized in all 50 states.

So, is it worth the hassle of spending summer studying for the MCAT and retaking it to get into St. George, Ross, or AUC vs. going to AUA? Also, even though the tuition is less at AUA, with the higher interest rates I'd be paying for private loans, does anyone have an idea of the overall cost of attendance relative to the other schools that do offer the lower federal loans?

Thanks for any input.
 
Hm...

Study a month or two, aim for a 24, get a 22, and get your ass to SGU.

2 months of study for something that sounds like it's worth it to me. You've waited 12 years after all. What's a couple more months? And correct me if I'm wrong, but if I were in your shoes, it would be the anxiety of the chance you'd score way below what you were aiming for and not the actual pain in the ass of studying.

I say go for it.

You shouldn't be attending AUA if it isn't an absolutely must. For that matter, you shouldn't be at any Caribbean school if it isn't an absolutely must. It's like you're intentionally climbing down the food chain when you don't have to. (Settling.)
 
i agree with above. SGU ROSS AUC SABA are 1 million times better than AUA simply because you can practice in all 50 states when you graduate from there. AUA grads can't practice in california, Arkansas, Missisippi, Tennessee, and a few other states that fallow the california list for approved medical schools, and that list is growing.

So suck it up study and and go to SGU at least you'll have the peace of mind that you'll actually be able to be work as a doctor in the US with their degree.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your're not that old and it is worth having options in all 50 states.
 
I just had my Ross interview today. The admissions officer said I'd probably have to retake my MCAT that I took in 1997 since its too old, even though it was a good score (31). It would be a major PIA for me to study for the MCAT after having last looked at the basic science courses over a decade ago. The admissions rep at St. George's told me that I'd have to retake the MCAT, but that all I'd need would be around a 22.

AUA, on the other had, doesn't require the MCAT. However, no federal financial aid is available and AUA isn't recognized in all 50 states.

So, is it worth the hassle of spending summer studying for the MCAT and retaking it to get into St. George, Ross, or AUC vs. going to AUA? Also, even though the tuition is less at AUA, with the higher interest rates I'd be paying for private loans, does anyone have an idea of the overall cost of attendance relative to the other schools that do offer the lower federal loans?

Thanks for any input.

Taking the MCAT is like riding a bicycle. Once you've taken all the courses and everything, it doesn't matter if you're taking it a month after recieving your degree, a year after receiving your degree, or ten years after receiving it, as long as you take the time to go over and review it, you should still be able to claw back to what your previous score was.
 
Agree w/above.
You need to take the MCAT. It DOES matter what med school you go to.
It WILL matter in the future. You should try to get into the best medical school you can get into (best meaning most chances for success in future residency and practice, including highest chance of good clinical rotations, decent teaching and a high USMLE pass rate for the school). I would not personally go to any med school not recognized in all 50 states...there are reasons why the schools that aren't recognized are not recognized.

If you aren't willing to spend a couple months studying a bit for the MCAT, then you should think about whether you want to spend the next 7-11 years preparing to practice medicine. That might sound harsh, but take it from one who has been there (med school + residency) and started at a slightly nontraditional age (mid 20's).
 
This is harsh also, but its for your own good.

To OP: Please tell me you are joking?! You want to attend medical school, and yet you do not want to study for a comprehensive test, one that will help you gauge how prepared you might be to enter Medical School.
Get the facts straight, please. Medical school is all about reading, studying, and Test taking! Even the thought of attending medical school again makes me cringe because of the insane amounts of studying, 6-8 hours a night, and regular examinations (i.e. midterms, finals, shelf, comprehensives).
The road to get in shouldn't be easy, since the road through it is so darn difficult.

Please ask yourself, OP, if you really think retaking the MCATs is a "PIA". If so, then perhaps anatomy labs, biochem finals, path exams, USMLEs, etc may be a PIA as well.

Good luck, which ever road you take. I dont recommend AUA, at all.

rlxdmd
 
This is harsh also, but its for your own good.

To OP: Please tell me you are joking?! You want to attend medical school, and yet you do not want to study for a comprehensive test, one that will help you gauge how prepared you might be to enter Medical School.

To be fair, he did take the MCAT and got a 31...

...but it was 12 years ago.
 
Thanks for all the replies. I was leaning towards taking it again if I was required to do so. I just wanted to get a feeling if the so called big 3 were that much better than AUA.

I know that med school is going to much more difficult than the MCAT, but can you blame me for not wanting to retake a test that I ALREADY have a much higher average than the schools I'm looking at require? Frankly, I think it's idiotic these schools are requiring me to retake this test since they are foreign schools, but rules are rules I guess....
 
i agree with above. SGU ROSS AUC SABA are 1 million times better than AUA simply because you can practice in all 50 states when you graduate from there. AUA grads can't practice in california, Arkansas, Missisippi, Tennessee, and a few other states that fallow the california list for approved medical schools, and that list is growing.

So suck it up study and and go to SGU at least you'll have the peace of mind that you'll actually be able to be work as a doctor in the US with their degree.

Do you mean that those states follow the California list.... or that those states in addition to the California list are ones that AUA graduates can't practice in?
 
Do you mean that those states follow the California list.... or that those states in addition to the California list are ones that AUA graduates can't practice in?

The states that AUA and others not on the CA list can't practice:

CA, AR, TN, IN, MS, NM, OR, ID (unless board-certified), KS (if school younger than 15 years), and likely soon to be GA.

And the trend is growing. So, people need to avoid these schools if they can.

And what I don't understand is how can any state deny a license to a board-certified specialist???
 
Being board certified (at least in IM) just means that you can pass a multiple choice test on a computer. It doesn't really say anything about one's clinical competence...I actually think the USMLE tells more, though even it is just an exam/test.
 
I understand your frustration seeing as you did well the first time around. But it has been 12 years. Look at it from an admissions officers standpoint.

There is no guarantee you are still current on that subject matter unless you are an MCAT instructor or such.

By retaking it for them, you are simply proving yourself to them, that you are worthy of admission. Do not think that because they are foreign schools, that for some reason they are lesser institutions. I have personal experience with students at SGU, and I went there skeptical and left there impressed. The student body is filled with ivy league - type grads who did not make the US med school cut.

Besides that, proving yourself to people, whether they be professors, residents or attendings, and employers is what life in medicine is about.

Take it all in. Take a deep breath and repeat the feat of getting a 27 or better on the MCAT.

rlxdmd
 
The states that AUA and others not on the CA list can't practice:

CA, AR, TN, IN, MS, NM, OR, ID (unless board-certified), KS (if school younger than 15 years), and likely soon to be GA.

And the trend is growing. So, people need to avoid these schools if they can.

And what I don't understand is how can any state deny a license to a board-certified specialist???

I apologize for the hijack...

So, in addition to those states, you should add massachusetts and alaska - which go by the california list.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I apologize for the hijack...

So, in addition to those states, you should add massachusetts and alaska - which go by the california list.

Thats 11 states, I didnt realize it was that many. And you think it is going to be 12 soon. My friend said that AUA was doing something to fix this situation.
Is that even true!? Or is he misinformed.

He must have been mistaken. I would be devastated if I couldnt practice in some of those states. But Alaska, I can do without.

rlxdmd
 
yeah AUA is sueing the Arkansas state medical board because they feel like it's unfair for a state to blindly follow anohter state's approval list and that each state should make up their own mind. also they're saying Arkansas is violating the 14th amendment because it's not allowing US citizens to get a medical license and practice medicine in that state.

I personally feel that's all a bunch of BS and the case will get thrown and won't even make it to court. but that's what AUA is doing to "fix" the problem.

yes I think more and more states are going to start enforcing the california list because it's the most comprehensive list out of any US sate. And I think that if the US governemnt tries to push for a national list of approved or unapproved schools there's a good chance they'll use the california list for that.. which will put like 97% carib schools out of business.
 
Thanks for the update. Do you have a link for the case? JW... i can look it up if you dont. LOL I will try to keep an eye out for what happens in that case.

rlxdmd
 
The court papers were interesting to read. There was a lot of generalizations on the part of the plaintiffs' argument. They speak of AUA as if there is nothing wrong with it. It sounds perfect and logical to allow the plaintiffs to obtain licensure.
I wasn't aware that it was owned by an Indian University and opened in 2004. Do they have many alumni in residencies yet? (match list from this past year?)

rlxdmd
 
So, I got a rejection letter from St. George's the other day. That was a shocker. I had a ok science GPA (3.4) from a top ranked college and decent (but expired) MCATs. Is St. George that selective these days?

I got accepted into Ross today and that's where I'll go. They didn't make me retake the MCAT's, so I'm going there for Sep 2009.
 
So, I got a rejection letter from St. George's the other day. That was a shocker. I had a ok science GPA (3.4) from a top ranked college and decent (but expired) MCATs. Is St. George that selective these days?

I got accepted into Ross today and that's where I'll go. They didn't make me retake the MCAT's, so I'm going there for Sep 2009.

You might want to reconsider that decision.
 
william,
it might be worthwhile to call St. George and ask them what was the reason for your rejection. If it's only the MCAT, it might be worthwhile to retake...if you did decent before, you probably will again if you study just a little.
 
If you need to retake the mcat, why not just apply to a US MD or Do school. Just a thought. 31 mcat potential +ok science GPA means= you have a shot. Plus, you have life experience to beef up your PS.
 
yeah don't go to Ross.. you probably got rejected cause you didn't want to retake the mcat. so just retake the mcat and reapply. and even though a 3.4 is low for US md schools DO schools will take you with a decent mcat score. retaking the mcat will be well worth it in the long run.
 
First of all, Congrats! Ross is going to give you a chance to succeed in medicince.

Now that you are accepted to med school take the MCAT like a practice exam.

If you were my brother or sister I would strongly encourage you retake that test this summer just to see if you can get that score again. (think of it as a med school refresher)

Good luck!

rlxdmd
 
I just had my Ross interview today. The admissions officer said I'd probably have to retake my MCAT that I took in 1997 since its too old, even though it was a good score (31). It would be a major PIA for me to study for the MCAT after having last looked at the basic science courses over a decade ago. The admissions rep at St. George's told me that I'd have to retake the MCAT, but that all I'd need would be around a 22.

AUA, on the other had, doesn't require the MCAT. However, no federal financial aid is available and AUA isn't recognized in all 50 states.

So, is it worth the hassle of spending summer studying for the MCAT and retaking it to get into St. George, Ross, or AUC vs. going to AUA? Also, even though the tuition is less at AUA, with the higher interest rates I'd be paying for private loans, does anyone have an idea of the overall cost of attendance relative to the other schools that do offer the lower federal loans?

Thanks for any input.

AUA is now recognized in all 50 states. check california medical board website for recognized international schools.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad