AUA spring class of 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted936442

Hi all,
I was considering applying for AUA this coming fall but I have a few friends that came back after the spring semester and said that it’s a complete disaster over there with the new "next" curriculum. It’s basically only two exams per semester with three mini quizzes that don’t count. I am particularly scared of only having two exams that count. I was also told that there were no lectures which makes no sense seeing as how it is a medical education and it is tough. only recently did they decide to add daily "reviews" that are not really lectures and they are only two hours daily. This makes me wonder if the school is legit enough especially since I heard that the attrition rate for the fall of 2017 was nearly 80 percent. I also visited the school nearly two month ago and talked with the students on campus and they said that they were repeaters I barley found any students that were not repeaters. This is a terrifying gamble being as how the loans for the semester are nearly 32,000 plus 6.8 interest rate. so, my question is towards the spring class that just started this year did you guys have an attrition rate similar to the fall? I've heard that the students relied more on Kaplan, did the Kaplan questions help in anyway? I was considering also going to trinity being as how they have classes of nearly 25 students per semester and they are on an accelerated track in terms of curriculum. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Do NOT go to the Caribbean.

Reactions: 1 users
Do NOT go to the Caribbean.

This.

While Caribbean schools offer real degrees and place people into real residencies, they prey on weak students to pay them for a semester or two and then drop out.

Very few people on this site would ever recommend a Caribbean school over even the worst of the worst US schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,
I was considering applying for AUA this coming fall but I have a few friends that came back after the spring semester and said that it’s a complete disaster over there with the new "next" curriculum. It’s basically only two exams per semester with three mini quizzes that don’t count. I am particularly scared of only having two exams that count. I was also told that there were no lectures which makes no sense seeing as how it is a medical education and it is tough. only recently did they decide to add daily "reviews" that are not really lectures and they are only two hours daily. This makes me wonder if the school is legit enough especially since I heard that the attrition rate for the fall of 2017 was nearly 80 percent. I also visited the school nearly two month ago and talked with the students on campus and they said that they were repeaters I barley found any students that were not repeaters. This is a terrifying gamble being as how the loans for the semester are nearly 32,000 plus 6.8 interest rate. so, my question is towards the spring class that just started this year did you guys have an attrition rate similar to the fall? I've heard that the students relied more on Kaplan, did the Kaplan questions help in anyway? I was considering also going to trinity being as how they have classes of nearly 25 students per semester and they are on an accelerated track in terms of curriculum. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
No lectures means 100% PBL

What does pbl stand for?
Problem based learning. Great for soft sciences...not so great for hard sciences. But apparently “evidence” states otherwise *cue eye roll*

Reactions: 1 user
so true... if you ask the instructor to elaborate there it will be like Armageddon because the cameras are watching them and the students must learn on their own. In fact the instructors are not even proficient in their subject. It’s an unfair money making scheme. How they get fafsa is beyond my imagination.

so true... if you ask the instructor to elaborate there it will be like Armageddon because the cameras are watching them and the students must learn on their own. In fact the instructors are not even proficient in their subject. It’s an unfair money making scheme. How they get fafsa is beyond my imagination.
According to our academic director, PBL is now being required of medical schools for continued LCME accreditation. Lord help us all

This.

While Caribbean schools offer real degrees and place people into real residencies, they prey on weak students to pay them for a semester or two and then drop out.

Very few people on this site would ever recommend a Caribbean school over even the worst of the worst US schools.

Can you please enlighten us as to who succeeds at these Caribbean schools since they offer real degrees and place people into real residencies?

Can the current Antigua students if they see this please answer my question without arguing about the whole carbbiean route and which school is better

Reactions: 1 user