1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Aua?

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by Andichad4JC, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Andichad4JC

Andichad4JC Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Medical
    Anyone have any insight and useful info on American University of Antigua? I have been accepted to Ross and am ready to go, but got contacted by AUA. I am actually kind of impressed with their work ever since the president started (He was the president of Ross prior to the buy out).

Any takers?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. aedmd2b

aedmd2b New Member

Medical Student
    Yeah AUA is a pretty good school scholastically but financial aid is a hot mess. My suggestion is if you have gotten acepted to Ross go because it will be some time before AUA gets Cali and also there are no regulatory hang ups with getting residency or lic in any state if you are a Ross grad. Downside of Ross, they are all about the money. They are not really interested about the students. They accept way more students into the first term class than they can handle and they know that many will not make it, but they still get that tuition. Sad but true, I have many classmates that transferred from Ross. Not to say AUA is a bad school they are new and have done more than any other medical school in the short time they have been open respectively. It's just financial aid is such a sad mess. Though I must admit it gets better each semester.

AEDMD2B
    December cometh and I am off this rock.

4. puppy234

How is AUA med school? What are your pros and cons?

5. Top Gun

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Go to Ross. At least if you graduate from there, you can get licensed in all 50 states.

6. Skip Intro

Skip Intro Registered User
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just to be clear, if you go to a school that is currently not accredited by a state licensing board, you will never be able to get licensed in that state if they subsequently get accepted unless you go back and repeat some of your medical core curriculum. Don't get burned.

-Skip

7. piyalis

Medical Student
    Do you recommend Aua? Which states approve it? I would consider applying to Ross and Sgu but due to prerequisite requirements and cost (I cannot afford to pay that much), I cannot consider them.

8. Skip Intro

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't recommend any program. I recommend doing your own homework, collecting data about issues that will affect your decision, and making the best possible choice for you, your family, and your future.

-Skip

9. titanlord1

titanlord1 Membership Revoked
    Removed Account on Hold

Pre-Pharmacy
    i heard AUA is a decent school.

10. Skip Intro

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It appears that AUA has been granted approval for "residency in all 50 states". I don't know if this translates in to permanent license to practice medicine unsupervised in all 50 states, though.

http://www.auamed.org/becoming-a-physician

-Skip

11. Del Caribe

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Not every state yet... Kansas requires foreign medical schools to have been in operation for at least 15 years. AUA is a young school and will not be approved by Kansas until 2019.

12. drcrispmd

Physician Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just because you can do residency in a state does not mean you can get licensed after residency. Example: St. Matthew's University can do residency in TN but after those residents finish they cannot stay and get licensed in TN.

13. Skip Intro

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yeah, that was kind of my point (hence the quotation marks). Not that I understand it. If you are qualified to complete your training in a particular state, I'm not sure why you can't get a license at the end. Doesn't make much sense to me.

-Skip

14. wolfvgang22

Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Nope, it doesn't make since from an academic perspective. It has to do with the business of medical education and politics.