Aua?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andichad4JC

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any insight and useful info on American University of Antigua? I have been accepted to Ross and am ready to go, but got contacted by AUA. I am actually kind of impressed with their work ever since the president started (He was the president of Ross prior to the buy out).

Any takers?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah AUA is a pretty good school scholastically but financial aid is a hot mess. My suggestion is if you have gotten acepted to Ross go because it will be some time before AUA gets Cali and also there are no regulatory hang ups with getting residency or lic in any state if you are a Ross grad. Downside of Ross, they are all about the money. They are not really interested about the students. They accept way more students into the first term class than they can handle and they know that many will not make it, but they still get that tuition. Sad but true, I have many classmates that transferred from Ross. Not to say AUA is a bad school they are new and have done more than any other medical school in the short time they have been open respectively. It's just financial aid is such a sad mess. Though I must admit it gets better each semester.

AEDMD2B
December cometh and I am off this rock.

How is AUA med school? What are your pros and cons?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any insight and useful info on American University of Antigua? I have been accepted to Ross and am ready to go, but got contacted by AUA. I am actually kind of impressed with their work ever since the president started (He was the president of Ross prior to the buy out).

Any takers?

Go to Ross. At least if you graduate from there, you can get licensed in all 50 states.

Just to be clear, if you go to a school that is currently not accredited by a state licensing board, you will never be able to get licensed in that state if they subsequently get accepted unless you go back and repeat some of your medical core curriculum. Don't get burned.

-Skip

Do you recommend Aua? Which states approve it? I would consider applying to Ross and Sgu but due to prerequisite requirements and cost (I cannot afford to pay that much), I cannot consider them.

Do you recommend Aua? Which states approve it? I would consider applying to Ross and Sgu but due to prerequisite requirements and cost (I cannot afford to pay that much), I cannot consider them.

I don't recommend any program. I recommend doing your own homework, collecting data about issues that will affect your decision, and making the best possible choice for you, your family, and your future.

-Skip

i heard AUA is a decent school.

It appears that AUA has been granted approval for "residency in all 50 states". I don't know if this translates in to permanent license to practice medicine unsupervised in all 50 states, though.

AUA College of Medicine has been approved by New York State Education Department and recognized by the Medical Board of California, allowing students to obtain residency positions and secure clinical clerkships in those states.

http://www.auamed.org/becoming-a-physician

-Skip

Not every state yet... Kansas requires foreign medical schools to have been in operation for at least 15 years. AUA is a young school and will not be approved by Kansas until 2019.

Just because you can do residency in a state does not mean you can get licensed after residency. Example: St. Matthew's University can do residency in TN but after those residents finish they cannot stay and get licensed in TN.

Yeah, that was kind of my point (hence the quotation marks). Not that I understand it. If you are qualified to complete your training in a particular state, I'm not sure why you can't get a license at the end. Doesn't make much sense to me.

-Skip

Yeah, that was kind of my point (hence the quotation marks). Not that I understand it. If you are qualified to complete your training in a particular state, I'm not sure why you can't get a license at the end. Doesn't make much sense to me.

-Skip
Nope, it doesn't make since from an academic perspective. It has to do with the business of medical education and politics.