Aua??!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tiretrauma

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Im reading all of these threads and see nothing on AUA. I have done a ton of research on carib schools and it seems that this is one of the best and up and coming schools in the carib. So my question is what is everyone's opinion on SDN? I am on valuemd and it seems to get a good rap there but nothing here...so I thought I would start a thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, if you can't get into Ross,SGU,or AUC...then you look at SMU,AUA and SABA. AUA has many transfers from Ross....a good friend of mine transfered there from Ross. Your real trouble with AUA will be financing. They don't have the loan structure available like the other schools...my friend had to put a ton of her tuition on a credit card. AUA does not have near the clinical availability as the other schools but it is possible. Many states still do not recognize AUA so look into that first...You will also have to plan on moving around in order to fulfill all your clinical core requirements. Keep in mind...'up and coming' does not matter to todays Medical Board...they want established schools with years of proving themselves. Ross,AUC and SGU have spent years dealing with red tape and govt. strong arms to get where they are. Up and coming is a good start but does not mean it's as strong a choice as the big three. But like all carib bound MD's.....you do what you gotta do.

why would some one transfer from ross to AUA?

by the way Im going to the AUA seminar in manhatten tom

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, there should be more on studentdoctor about AUA. I will be transferring in to AUA for my clinical years. I'm trying to find out more information about life as an AUA clinicals student. It looks like NYC might be the best place to be to do your clinicals. I do not want to have to move around, and there are tons of rotations available in the NYC area. Trouble is, I've heard that NYC is damned expensive. I have no idea how I am going to finance my two years left of medical school. Without Staffords I am going to be reliant on credit-based loans. I was advised to have a credit score above 650. Mine is 688 right now. I have no one financially or otherwise able to act as my cosigner. Things look somewhat bleak. Maybe things will work themselves out though. Also, I am worried about my prospects at getting into any residency I might want. I have zero interest in primary care. I am interested in radiology and EM. I did score a 229 on the Step 1, so hopefully that will help me. Psychiatry wouldn't be too bad.

I agree, there should be more on studentdoctor about AUA. I will be transferring in to AUA for my clinical years. I'm trying to find out more information about life as an AUA clinicals student. It looks like NYC might be the best place to be to do your clinicals. I do not want to have to move around, and there are tons of rotations available in the NYC area. Trouble is, I've heard that NYC is damned expensive. I have no idea how I am going to finance my two years left of medical school. Without Staffords I am going to be reliant on credit-based loans. I was advised to have a credit score above 650. Mine is 688 right now. I have no one financially or otherwise able to act as my cosigner. Things look somewhat bleak. Maybe things will work themselves out though. Also, I am worried about my prospects at getting into any residency I might want. I have zero interest in primary care. I am interested in radiology and EM. I did score a 229 on the Step 1, so hopefully that will help me. Psychiatry wouldn't be too bad.

What made you choose AUA over other carribean Med schools such as SGU or Ross

Now don't go pulling out torches and ropes......but nobody CHOOSES AUA over Ross,AUC or SGU. Many students who failed at Ross transfered to AUA when I was at Ross. I personally know 7 people from class who did just that. I kept in touch with 4 of them throughout the years. Everyone of the 4 said AUA was just a little easier to handle. That is NOT a put down on AUA! Everyone will take the Step 1 and 2 so it doesn't really matter what someone has to do to get to that point. However, AUA is not even in the same area code as far as Ross/AUC/SGU goes regarding future endeavors with residency. I had two AUA students in one of my cores in NYC and both of them had to travel back and fourth from Maryland to NYC to get everything done in an efficient time frame. Yes, NYC is ridiculously expensive but it can be done. If you simply rent a room where others live..often sharing a kitchen,bathroom, etc...you can make it work. You either balls up and live in the ghetto (not advised) or find a decent area and share the costs with several other tenants. Please don't think I am bashing AUA. Every school has to start somewhere....AUA is still new so it's gonna take some hits until years of hard work pay off....which has for Ross/AUC/SGU.