Auburn cheating investigation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad

Anybody got some inside info on this one? Is it something awesome and illegal like "a student hired a Latvian hacker off the dark web to hack into the professor's computer"? Or is it something stupid and not even unethical like "they had old copies of the test"?
 

Anybody got some inside info on this one? Is it something awesome and illegal like "a student hired a Latvian hacker off the dark web to hack into the professor's computer"? Or is it something stupid and not even unethical like "they had old copies of the test"?


I love how they used the tactic where they “offered leniency to students who came forward and revealed their knowledge of the incident”.

I can only imagine the wave of teary eyed students banging on the deans door ready to throw their fellow students under the bus in exchange for a slap on the wrist...

Disgusting....
 
I live fairly close to Auburn, and this actually made the local nightly news broadcast. The news anchor said they didn't have specific details on what the cheating actually entailed, but that they'll be sure to continue their investigation and air a breaking news update when more is known, LOL
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I'm a betting man it stems from the undergraduate levels as well. Imagine racking up $169k in loans while cheating your way through school and then getting caught at the very end. Auburn's mean gpa is a 3.5 and their mean pcat is a 62 percentile. Does that add up? These kids have the same gpas as people getting into medical school. I'm guessing the medical school gets a low of low mcat high gpa from them.
 
I see no big deal nowadays when I see news like this.
One of my classmates, who comes from the same country as mine, has gpa of 3.8 before entering the pharmacy program. Our group wonder how because she can't understand English!!! She can read and speak but she can't understand when hearing people speaking English. We had to help her to understand the lectures in our own language after class and everyone became exhausted and started to stay away from her. At the review of the infectious disease block, the professor told everyone to put everything away during the review before the test, not to use media or to write anything. She started to write when the review started. Oh my god. We couldn't believe she couldn't understand a simple instruction. She passed all the blocks except for this one. I always think out loud, speak what's in my mind and don't worry about the consequences. I told the professor what I know. I'm so disappointed with this pharmacy program because they pass everyone. The tests are surprisingly easy. And I think all pharmacy programs nowadays are like that.
For the next class, 2021, they have to lower passing rate from 90% to 85% in some blocks. Isn't that cheating??? And I'm sure the tests are getting easier and easier.
I used to say schools provide knowledge, not provide jobs. Now I see they don't care about knowledge any more. I have to learn more by myself out of school. The only regret I have after I finish this program is I can't go back to work as a tech anymore if I can't find a pharmacist job.
I've never paid attention to the CJPE scandal. But I've heard from a classmate that the test taker got 100% correct within 30 minutes. I can't believe they don't change the questions in the tests every year.
I see nothing wrong when people use old tests to study.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I see no big deal nowadays when I see news like this.
One of my classmates, who comes from the same country as mine, has gpa of 3.8 before entering the pharmacy program. Our group wonder how because she can't understand English!!! She can read and speak but she can't understand when hearing people speaking English. We had to help her to understand the lectures in our own language after class and everyone became exhausted and started to stay away from her. At the review of the infectious disease block, the professor told everyone to put everything away during the review before the test, not to use media or to write anything. She started to write when the review started. Oh my god. We couldn't believe she couldn't understand a simple instruction. She passed all the blocks except for this one. I always think out loud, speak what's in my mind and don't worry about the consequences. I told the professor what I know. I'm so disappointed with this pharmacy program because they pass everyone. The tests are surprisingly easy. And I think all pharmacy programs nowadays are like that.
For the next class, 2021, they have to lower passing rate from 90% to 85% in some blocks. Isn't that cheating??? And I'm sure the tests are getting easier and easier.
I used to say schools provide knowledge, not provide jobs. Now I see they don't care about knowledge any more. I have to learn more by myself out of school. The only regret I have after I finish this program is I can't go back to work as a tech anymore if I can't find a pharmacist job.
I've never paid attention to the CJPE scandal. But I've heard from a classmate that the test taker got 100% correct within 30 minutes. I can't believe they don't change the questions in the tests every year.
I see nothing wrong when people use old tests to study.
I have trouble understanding french when spoken too fast. She probably doesn't watch movie only practice reading and writing. And you guys need to speak slowly. Where is she from?
 
I have trouble understanding french when spoken too fast. She probably doesn't watch movie only practice reading and writing. And you guys need to speak slowly. Where is she from?
We just wonder how she can communicate when she goes on rotations and works. Since she didn't pass one block, the faculty thinks it's good that she has one year off to improve her English listening skill.
But what I mean is the program is so easy that even a student doesn't understand the lectures and has one way communication can still graduate.
Also students can get high grades in undergrad if they know which community college/instructors to go to.
 
We just wonder how she can communicate when she goes on rotations and works. Since she didn't pass one block, the faculty thinks it's good that she has one year off to improve her English listening skill.
But what I mean is the program is so easy that even a student doesn't understand the lectures and has one way communication can still graduate.
I don't think so. To know politics and medical is b-c level in English. I'm a2 in french and german but only practicing reading and writing. Not talking to anyone because no one uses german since ww2(banned) and french has died out. If there is no one to practice with it will be hard. C1 level is reading literature like Goethe in german. Which is really hard. B1 to be a citizen in most countries
 
We just wonder how she can communicate when she goes on rotations and works. Since she didn't pass one block, the faculty thinks it's good that she has one year off to improve her English listening skill.
But what I mean is the program is so easy that even a student doesn't understand the lectures and has one way communication can still graduate.
Also students can get high grades in undergrad if they know which community college/instructors to go to.
Most of the world speaks English now. Just that most Turkish people can text me in English and not listen/reply. That's all they learn in school. Reading comphrension is there, listening is not, nor practicing speaking
 
No surprise here. When I was in school, the frats were rewriting test questions after an exam. I know plenty who did not even go to lectures and got above the mean because they already have the exam questions from the previous class. I don't know why professors keep on using same multiple choice test questions. You are paying $40-50 k/year in tuition and professors are too lazy to even write new test questions? How about making it a written exam? I guess they would rather round with the medical team and wait for a doctor to ask them a question.

I expect the same cheating happened with the CPJE. The pass rate dropped 50% after the board got rid of the old test questions. If you are going to cheat throughout pharmacy school, why wouldn't you also cheat on the board exam?

This is why pharmacy school is a big joke. Just classroom learning. No real actual experience working as a pharmacist. All med students have to take a standardized exam after their second year. Go ahead and cheat. You won't get a residency spot.
 
I meant failure rate went up 50%, not pass rate:
We'll see for 2020. Coz they had to let 2019 takers pass. Not many had to retake.
But exam administrations now treat takers as cheaters.
I saw a msg like this last night:

"Hello guys, I need some help. I took my third attempt this past tuesday and got an email from NABP that they want me to write an explanation about score variation with documents. What does it mean? What do I send them? Pass or fail? Anybody with same experience?"
 
All med students have to take a standardized exam after their second year. Go ahead and cheat. You won't get a residency spot.

What keeps them from cheating on the standardized test? The CPJE is a standardized test after all. If the issue is cheating I don’t see how “more tests” is the solution.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The incoming classes are ranked top 20 in the country but they have a low naplex pass rate of 89%. Similar schools with entering classes of a 3.5 gpa have a pass rate of over 95%.

Actually this year. Pass rate for the NAPLEX for Auburn is 91% and but low on the MPJE at 81%
 
If I'm a betting man it stems from the undergraduate levels as well. Imagine racking up $169k in loans while cheating your way through school and then getting caught at the very end. Auburn's mean gpa is a 3.5 and their mean pcat is a 62 percentile. Does that add up? These kids have the same gpas as people getting into medical school. I'm guessing the medical school gets a low of low mcat high gpa from them.

Partially correct. But Auburn does not take the PCAT anymore.
 
I love how they used the tactic where they “offered leniency to students who came forward and revealed their knowledge of the incident”.

I can only imagine the wave of teary eyed students banging on the deans door ready to throw their fellow students under the bus in exchange for a slap on the wrist...

Disgusting....
What is bad that it screws the P4s over who had nothing to do with cheating a chance for employment or residency. This should have been handled internally, not leaked to the media
 

Anybody got some inside info on this one? Is it something awesome and illegal like "a student hired a Latvian hacker off the dark web to hack into the professor's computer"? Or is it something stupid and not even unethical like "they had old copies of the test"?
I heard the students had old copies of exams
 
I don't think so. To know politics and medical is b-c level in English. I'm a2 in french and german but only practicing reading and writing. Not talking to anyone because no one uses german since ww2(banned) and french has died out. If there is no one to practice with it will be hard. C1 level is reading literature like Goethe in german. Which is really hard. B1 to be a citizen in most countries

I can't be the only one who doesn't know what this person is blabbing on about lol
 
I can't be the only one who doesn't know what this person is blabbing on about lol
if you are going to use a French word as a username (I assume you took French, it means again) see








old English German vs Frisian (germanic dutch)





old English on tv

dont be crazy now. English is French and German mixed in. If you are passionate to learn about old languages or Europe in general you would pursue this route like me (then again I went a lot to europe and practiced... but yeah there are many famous literature and authors out there not just shake sphere.

I can give a European history lecture, but thats for another time. Too passionate about this subject, got to do other things now.
 
Last edited:
Am I supposed to be amazed that the Germanic languages are derivative of each other?
Pretty much all European languages are. If you are not interested in the subject it's ok. It helps me identify Americans by descent though 🙂

It seems you know this info though. So it's not directed to you.

Also helps in your travels if no one understands you. Linguistics is another field though.
 
Last edited:
if you are going to use a French word as a username (I assume you took French, it means again) see








old English German vs Frisian (germanic dutch)





old English on tv

dont be crazy now. English is French and German mixed in. If you are passionate to learn about old languages or Europe in general you would pursue this route like me (then again I went a lot to europe and practiced... but yeah there are many famous literature and authors out there not just shake sphere.

I can give a European history lecture, but thats for another time. Too passionate about this subject, got to do other things now.


what the hell does what you were saying has anything to do with the topic... and your previous jibberish made absolutely no sense
 
what the hell does what you were saying has anything to do with the topic... and your previous jibberish made absolutely no sense
you asked me a question. I answered it. My previous gibberish was about the English language skill in the states. I answered your question, but then again you aren't in linguistic . So you are welcome. My apologies because I also did theatre which combines ideas of a topic within a subtopic which isn't only pharmacy
 

Anybody got some inside info on this one? Is it something awesome and illegal like "a student hired a Latvian hacker off the dark web to hack into the professor's computer"? Or is it something stupid and not even unethical like "they had old copies of the test"?

My P1 year, we had some old tests go around for bio-pharm and I just glanced at them to get an idea of what the exam would be like. Turned out the teacher reused a TON of questions (which didn't help me, as I didn't try to memorize anything) and he ended up finding out. He was pissed, but blamed himself.

The next exam our average was like 55% 😀 . Holy crap that was an impossible exam to finish. He wanted to push our averages down so we wouldn't coast, and he was punishing us. There were two guys that always finished their exams in half the time of everyone else. I remember looking up with ten minutes to go and they were both still going. . . knew I was screwed. Still got a B in the class because I worked my ass off and went to the professor with a lot of questions so despite actually scoring a high C, I got a B. It probably helped that I missed a question or two on the tests that went around for the first exam.
 
My P1 year, we had some old tests go around for bio-pharm and I just glanced at them to get an idea of what the exam would be like. Turned out the teacher reused a TON of questions (which didn't help me, as I didn't try to memorize anything) and he ended up finding out. He was pissed, but blamed himself.

The next exam our average was like 55% 😀 . Holy crap that was an impossible exam to finish. He wanted to push our averages down so we wouldn't coast, and he was punishing us. There were two guys that always finished their exams in half the time of everyone else. I remember looking up with ten minutes to go and they were both still going. . . knew I was screwed. Still got a B in the class because I worked my ass off and went to the professor with a lot of questions so despite actually scoring a high C, I got a B. It probably helped that I missed a question or two on the tests that went around for the first exam.
Lol. Let me guess, Dr. DeRuiter?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The cheating is actually much worse than reported. The students have the exam answers and clinical practicum (OSCE or PBA) answer sheets given to them by a professor who was fired. But the school has kept all these tests the exact same. This makes it all the more comical when the administration keeps giving teachers and students various academic and character awards. Not to mention the lying to incoming prospective students about the great new curriculum even though this place is just a degree mill and a very unhealthy place to learn at.

All of this isn’t even as bad as the gossip and backbiting that occurs within the classes and also from the teachers themselves to the students. For starters, the professors at HSOP cannot stand the students and this is well known among students especially when there is a bout of public mocking and humiliation of students that say or do anything that may be considered out of line. This makes for an awful learning environment. It is very confusing when they give us students lots of surveys to take and reflection papers to write and then chastise us about how we are wrong. I really regret going here and hope it doesn’t get worse.
Auburn is like how Florida was 20 years ago. Sorry about your burdens, it'll end soon enough. I'm not sure it gets better on the other side.

It's really not hard to write new questions. I do retain certain questions, and I blatantly tell my students what those questions are as I expect them to memorize the answers.

I will send you a PM about a really good answer on professionalism issues there.
 
When I was an undergrad taking "physics for physics majors" 101 the first exam was considered "too easy" as the avg was too high then we got wrecked on the second exam and final exam (averages sub-40% vs 85% on the first exam)

It would be fun to wreck people's **** as a lecturer
 
Here at Auburn there is active cheating on written exams and clinical exams though, which is more than 70% of our final grade. The cheating was exposed publicly during the spring of 2020, but in reality it was found out during the fall of 2019 and the dean tried to cover it up as an accreditation issue when he spoke and blatantly lied to the classes. It apparently involved the pharmacy fraternities at Auburn, both of which have not been punished.

Both fraternities are actively involved in this cheating still to this day. Other pharmacy related groups and clubs are also involved in similar cheating rings. I have a problem with staying here when all my friends are cheating, I’m actually studying, and the administration is not punishing or kicking out students. I’m also worried about accreditation - will this school still be accredited when I graduate? And, if so, is that a sign that I should’ve cheated and worked less hard all along?

Should I have gone to pharmacy school somewhere else? I just don’t know why this is not being talked about and dealt with by my school or its accrediting authorities.
No, it's kind of a thing. Yeah, Auburn isn't going to lose its accreditation and that went on during my own training. It's pretty laughable because we all knew who actually knew what they were doing and who were idiots in my class which it didn't matter as it was 2004 and a license and a pulse got you hired. It does matter now for my class year as no one bothered to dispel some of the reputation, so we still think that frat association means "cheater", "drunk", and "idiot" and refuse to interview. Where I am at now, frat association is actually a negative if put on the resume for CV's or job postings due to similar behavior at the local school as well as cronyism that HR blocks. Other places in the Midwest, you actually have to be a frat member to get decent chances at residencies and hospital jobs, so it's all types.

Don't worry about it, it's not going to be a problem for you. Working hard is not a bad thing especially if you are on your way up. Just keep the memories and be prejudicial against them if you ever get to a position of power like several of us here.
 
Wow. Disappointed in my alma mater, but from what I hear about the way things are going there it's understandable. From the changes that have taken place in the administration and professor levels and in the curriculum, the dean has really done a number on the profession in Alabama and not for the better. Not sure why you would hire an androgynous bald guy from out of state to push a liberal political agenda rather than improve student outcomes. Seems odd to me.
 
I clicked on this thread thinking it was a new "cheating" scandal, but no, it is a 2 year old thread that was resurrected with a comment that seems to have little to do with the OP.
 
Lol yes! Geeze, they're changing their name to the "college" of pharmacy... because that will make a difference. They must really be searching for crap to talk about in these committee meetings Marilyn tells me about. She says the students still have the cheating materials too. Christ. Just change the curriculum back to the way it was. It's not a medical school. Dean Hansen just got a little bit of power and messed things up.