Auburn Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MIZMARLEY

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

Because I am not going to be able to make it to Open House/Family Night this coming weekend I thought maybe some of you could answer my questions. I'm most likely going to get to Auburn in May to look for apartments/condos. Is this too early to start looking? I probably will not move until late July and I guess the problem is I have never rented before (I've always lived in a family member's house). When are government loans dispersed? In August? If that is so I will need to have a deposit and first month's rent out of pocket. How much does the average student spend on rent and bills (internet, water, electric)? Do most people live alone or with a roommate? Are there any suggestions for how to find a roommate? I have one dog and a parakeet. Are there many places that are affordable and allow pets? Any suggestions on apartments or condos that have good walking areas for dogs?

Also I was wondering how most people pay for living expenses while in school. Are federal loans enough to cover the cost of living? The loan amounts seemed modest to me. I'm guessing most students live on a tight budget and wondered if most find it necessary to have other sources such as a savings or family contribution.

I also read in an older thread that Auburn does not provide health insurance. Is this still true? Would it be best to get the rabies vaccine series before I get there in the fall or at the Auburn health clinic? I didn't know if it would be cheaper to do it at the school or not.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all!

Because I am not going to be able to make it to Open House/Family Night this coming weekend I thought maybe some of you could answer my questions. I'm most likely going to get to Auburn in May to look for apartments/condos. Is this too early to start looking? I probably will not move until late July and I guess the problem is I have never rented before (I've always lived in a family member's house). When are government loans dispersed? In August? If that is so I will need to have a deposit and first month's rent out of pocket. How much does the average student spend on rent and bills (internet, water, electric)? Do most people live alone or with a roommate? Are there any suggestions for how to find a roommate? I have one dog and a parakeet. Are there many places that are affordable and allow pets? Any suggestions on apartments or condos that have good walking areas for dogs?

Also I was wondering how most people pay for living expenses while in school. Are federal loans enough to cover the cost of living? The loan amounts seemed modest to me. I'm guessing most students live on a tight budget and wondered if most find it necessary to have other sources such as a savings or family contribution.

I also read in an older thread that Auburn does not provide health insurance. Is this still true? Would it be best to get the rabies vaccine series before I get there in the fall or at the Auburn health clinic? I didn't know if it would be cheaper to do it at the school or not.

Thanks.

As far as the rabies vaccination goes, we were told that if you get it done at Auburn (they have a rabies clinic in the fall or spring) you are responsible to pay in full for the series and it costs around $700. you might want to look into prices at health clinics around you b/c i think they are around $185/shot which is cheaper than $700. also, check with insurance if you have it. mine is actually covering my series.

Hey, sorry you couldn't make it to Family Night or Open house :(

It is not too early or too late to start looking for housing in May. There are plenty of options open in Auburn (the housing market is flooded). Kaye has a notebook in the admissions office (where you waited for your interview) full of flyers from people who need roommates or have trailers/condos/apartments for sale and rent. When you come down in May stop by the office to check it out before going house hunting. I am actually looking for a roommate myself ;)

From what I gathered loans will not be dispersed until Fall (when tuition is due). Make sure to complete the FAFSA as soon as you can. This is done online, doesn't take very long and just uses your tax information that you submitted. You will then have to sign a promissory note and accept the loans awarded to you online. This can be done by logging into the Banner system (AU Access) on the AU student page. You will need your Banner ID and password (Kaye will have this info) The AU website also has good information. Go to www.auburn.edu click current students then the Financial Aid tap.

Room and board costs $9,630/year according to the estimated cost of attendance sheet that was passed out at orientation. So that works out to be ~$800/month based on 12 months. That might be a little hi of an estimate. I have been able to find nice living arrangements with roommates for ~$400/month plus the cost of utilities... which definitely didn't add up to be another $400 to give you the $800 estimate. However, living alone will probably be more costly. You will have enough Federal loans to cover your living expenses. You are allowed to borrow the estimated cost of attendance (~$33k IS/contract, ~$60K OOS). The Stafford loan limit is $40K which is ~$7k over the resident/KY/WV cost of attendance. For out of state students the amount that is not covered by the Stafford loan can be paid by the GPLUS program. So no worries... well until it comes time for repayment.

About your concern on living on a tight budget: Most people probably do try to live as cheap as possible. I personally don't think it will be too bad. You obviously aren't going to be able to go on shopping sprees but I doubt you will be starving either. Just live modestly and pick and choose what you think is worth spending the money on. However, I am fortunate enough to be able to receive some help from my parents and I have some saving set aside. This is mostly done because they want to help out as much as possible and lessen the amount of loans I have to take out. So for someone not in the same situation they may have to be a little more frugal... but probably not much. And many people live fully off the loans every year and survive ;)

Living alone or having a roommate is really going to be all personal preference. I personally like having a roommate. Living expenses are cheaper, you have a "built in" study buddy and its nice to have someone to hang out with, cook dinner with, etc. If you decide on having a roommate definitely check out the list Kaye has in the office and/or PM me. I'll be glad to give you details on my condo :)

There are plenty of places that allow pets so don't worry about finding a place that will allow you to have your dog and parakeet. Most places really like to rent to vet students too. I guess we get the over all general reputation for being responsible and less rowdy which must = good tenant. I can't think of any apartments that are particularly known for having good dog walking areas but most place have adequate space for taking them out to use the restroom, etc. And there are plenty of places to take dogs to play around the area, my favorite being Kiesel Park.

There are several options for health insurance.
1. Under the new plan proposed by Obama if you are under the age of 26 and a full time student you will be able to stay on your parents health insurance.
2. Blue Cross Blue Shield has a good individual plan called Individual Blue. Check to see what is offered in your state.
3. You can get major medical coverage under the AAVMA if you are a member of SCAVMA. They accept everyone, pre-existing conditions and all. Can't sign up for this until fall though.
4. Auburn has a graduate student insurance plan. Its not major medical and you have to use the approved docs... aka the AU medical center mostly.

I am going to agree with rileyroo. check your coverage now to see if they cover the rabies vaccinations. $700 seems a little pricey.

Oh and they threw me through a loop this morning when they announced that we had to buy a new computer to the tune of $2000. It is a tablet that will integrate with the CVM system. It actually seems like it is going to be amazing but I had no idea that it was going to be required. This expense will have to come out of pocket and then student loan amounts can reimburse the cost when they come in the fall. All orders have to be made and paid by june 30th. More info is coming in the mail in may with all the details. Just thought I would give you a heads up in case you were thinking about purchasing a new computer.

Hopefully I've answered all your questions fully since I wrote a novel in response. Let me know if I can answer anymore or if I wasn't clear on anything. Good luck with everything and can't wait to meet you this fall! :D

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to AUgirl's amazing post, you didn't miss a thing at open house, mizmarley. someone paid attention/took great notes during Dr. A's presentation!! :D

Thanks to AUgirl's amazing post, you didn't miss a thing at open house, mizmarley. someone paid attention/took great notes during Dr. A's presentation!! :D

And it is much appreciated!! I may PM you about that condo too, AUgirl365. :)

Great, glad I could help! I paid close attention to Dr. A because I had just as many if not more questions than mizmarley lol The whole situation didn't feel real until this past weekend. It is finally starting to sink in that I will actually be in vet school this fall. I can't wait!

The whole situation didn't feel real until this past weekend. It is finally starting to sink in that I will actually be in vet school this fall. I can't wait!

i agree! i really liked the 9am orientation speakers...Dr. A, the IT guys, and Ms. Kaye. they pretty much answered all of my questions regarding financial aid, resources for the fall, and the tablet (which i'm very excited about now). :)