AUC is better than the rest!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flpostbac

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, maybe I got your attention. I'm not an advocate of AUC or ross or SGU...but, recently AUC has posted a sampling of recent matches with U.S. residencies...

And I couldn't help but notice significant matches at affiliate hospitals of Duke, Yale, USC, Case Western, and even Columbia Surgery (huh?)...

Now I realize some of these may not be the main hospitals of each school or perhaps that these may be exceptions to the rule, but I haven't seen the same level of residencies posted on either of SGU's or Ross's websites...

More examples include Opthalmology at Emory. I've heard one could kiss optho good-bye if they earned an MD in the caribb.

Even matches at UPenn (ivy) and Penn State Hershey, very respectable placements.

So, is this reliable data?

I was somehow under the impression that AUC had a "lesser" reputation than Ross or SGU...perhaps this isn't the case?

The link:
<a href="http://www.aucmed.edu/05_rr.php" target="_blank">http://www.aucmed.edu/05_rr.php</a>

Maybe it doesn't matter which caribbean med school you go to...perhaps success just depends on the individual, and the decision to go to one over the other is merely splitting hairs...???

What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

What's more important, I think, is to look at how many people start the program and ultimately succeed. As I've stated before on another post, I've calculated (based on the numbers of students who start compared to the number who ultimately graduate each June), that Ross has about a 35-40% attrition rate during the course of the entire program. I'd be interested to see what AUC's program-long attrition rate is, and I suspect that it is higher than both Ross and SGU's.

As far as individual residencies, sure each school can trot out their poster children of success. However, Ross (and I'm not sure about SGU) lists ALL of their residency placements - each year - along with the students' names, not just a select few "representative" programs. I'm sure that both Ross and SGU could collate a list and come up with a similar, if not equal, list. Again, the list still proves that majority of Carib grads will end-up in Family, Peds, and IM. This is just fine if you start medical school, like myself, knowing that's what you ultimately want to do. Few will get other placements. For example, a grad from Ross this past year placed at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN... rural family medicine. Nice affiliation, but no Categorical Surgery, etc.

I agree that if you have your heart set on Opthamology, ER medicine, or other "choice" residencies, you may want to reconsider the Caribbean route... unless, of course, you have connections. :wink:

Members don't see this ad :)
The website just says where SOME of the "recent" graduates have gone to. It may be quite misleading as "recent" may mean the past five years as well. Who knows? I'd like to see a year by year breakdown of all the graduates.

Nice tirade, nvrsumr. What's your point exactly? All Carib grads don't "deserve" the placement they get? They are just "bodies" and don't get the same training in the same residency program that their U.S. grad counterparts get?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by nvrsumr:
•Wake up and make your own luck.•••••:confused:

Please describe what you mean by this statement.

And, check me if I'm wrong, but Dr. Cuts is a soon-to-be Caribbean grad. Why would his posting here make any difference to your nearly incomprehensible argument?

Hey -- I don't see nvrsumr's "tirade"??? NOT FAIR NOT FAIR:( :( :( !!! lol

Originally posted by A&amp;W
The website just says where SOME of the "recent" graduates have gone to. It may be quite misleading as "recent" may mean the past five years as well. Who knows? I'd like to see a year by year breakdown of all the graduates.

Yeap, I agree with that.

You hit upon a key word: "affilliate".
And by the way, these affilliates are often quite excellent. SGU places a lot of people at Yale-Norwalk, a community hospital. But that's the key. They generally post the affilliate's name. So reading a match list can be very misleading. Be quite careful that you know which are the university programs and which are the affiliates; a list can seem quite modest or quite impressive depending upon how its skewed.