AUC Sept 2008 or SGU Jan 2009?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ludacris

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I just got accepted to AUC for Sept 2008. I'm not sure if I should go to AUC or wait until January and go to SGU.

I've already read some threads comparing the two schools and from what I saw, they are pretty much equal in terms of education and facilities. I suppose the support services (e.g. advisers and tutoring) are better at SGU.

Would there be any advantage to wait until January and go to SGU or should I head to AUC this September?

Any advice?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Do not be ludacris!! There is no question?

Go to AUC now! It will set you up better for rotations third year. You would be better in terms of getting everything done by then.

Plus, AUC is a more developed island and the tuition is cheaper.

I started J04 at SGU. I have a friend who started A03 at AUC, then left after one semester to come to SGU (and start over with me because he couldnt transer). The reason he chose to do that was to get a more competitive residency. He is actually now doing general surgery at St. Francis in NJ (gen surg is very competitive). I also rotated with students who went to AUC. Have fun moving around the country with each rotation. Not the case with us. Yeah SGU is more expensive. You get what you pay for. You should go to both islands to compare them, and see for yourself. But the education is def. better at SGU. What is AUC's USMLE first time pass rate? What is SGU's? Where do AUC students match for residency? What about SGU? Here is where SGU matched for 2008 (pretty competitive residencies on there):
http://www.sgu.edu/ERD/2008/ResidPost.nsf/BYPGY?OpenView&RestrictToCategory=PGY1&Count=-1

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm... anyone else?

I'm really on a fence here and I don't know what side to choose.

I also haven't gone through my Ross interview in and I'm pretty sure I'll get into the Ross January 2009 class.

I'm not sure whether SGU will give me a distinct advantage over AUC. I do plan on getting a more competitive residency such as General Surgery or Emergency Medicine... Would that make a difference? What about Ross?

:shrug:

Let's be honest here. Your friend transferred because he failed at AUC.

General surgery is not that difficult if you have the right step1 score.

AUC and SGU will get you to where you want to go. Moreover, starting in September means the 2012 match instead of the 2013 match for SGU.

SGU does not offer any advantage over AUC in terms of competitive residencies. If AUC had 400 students per class instead of an average of 100-120. then more people would get more competitive residencies just because of pure chance statistics.

I started J04 at SGU. I have a friend who started A03 at AUC, then left after one semester to come to SGU (and start over with me because he couldnt transer). The reason he chose to do that was to get a more competitive residency. He is actually now doing general surgery at St. Francis in NJ (gen surg is very competitive). I also rotated with students who went to AUC. Have fun moving around the country with each rotation. Not the case with us. Yeah SGU is more expensive. You get what you pay for. You should go to both islands to compare them, and see for yourself. But the education is def. better at SGU. What is AUC's USMLE first time pass rate? What is SGU's? Where do AUC students match for residency? What about SGU? Here is where SGU matched for 2008 (pretty competitive residencies on there):
http://www.sgu.edu/ERD/2008/ResidPost.nsf/BYPGY?OpenView&RestrictToCategory=PGY1&Count=-1

Hmm.. still deciding!

Anyone else have a few thoughts??

Yeah let's be honest?? He failed? WOW. Pretty naive really. It amazes me how naive people can be. I really do not care if you choose AUC or SGU or ROSS, but for the guy that thinks what I wrote was bs, I cant imagine him being a competent MD. Oh and by the way, I scored a 99, but I'm assuming that is bs too.

And as far as the numbers go, yeah we do have more students. Did you bother to look at SGU's percentage for fields that students matched into? Does AUC even have such a thing? If they do, you should probably compare them. Also compare first time USMLE pass rates. Bottom line, SGU has the best reputation out of all the carib schools. Nuff said.

Let's be honest here. Your friend transferred because he failed at AUC.

General surgery is not that difficult if you have the right step1 score.

AUC and SGU will get you to where you want to go. Moreover, starting in September means the 2012 match instead of the 2013 match for SGU.

SGU does not offer any advantage over AUC in terms of competitive residencies. If AUC had 400 students per class instead of an average of 100-120. then more people would get more competitive residencies just because of pure chance statistics.

It seems that you do not understand the definition of "naïve" because you are not using it correctly....lol

Either your "friend" failed out of AUC and restarted at SGU or is a huge idiot that paid $12,000 plus living at AUC, then started over at SGU for no advantage whatsoever.

We all scored a 99, didn't you hear? :laugh:

If you had bothered to see the Derm , optho, ortho etc matches in AUC's 5 year past, they are statistically roughly equal (with class size adjusted) to SGU's competitive specialty residencies.

You are only fooling yourself if you believe that there is such a thing as reputation from a Caribbean school. You might have more recognition in the NY/NJ area because of SGU graduates doing residencies there, but AUC has more recognition in the MI and LA areas for the same reason. That does not equate to reputation. Once again, your vocabulary is failing you.:smuggrin:

FYI - "Nuff said" .... really? I mean, really? How old are you?:laugh:

Yeah let's be honest?? He failed? WOW. Pretty naive really. It amazes me how naive people can be. I really do not care if you choose AUC or SGU or ROSS, but for the guy that thinks what I wrote was bs, I cant imagine him being a competent MD. Oh and by the way, I scored a 99, but I'm assuming that is bs too.

And as far as the numbers go, yeah we do have more students. Did you bother to look at SGU's percentage for fields that students matched into? Does AUC even have such a thing? If they do, you should probably compare them. Also compare first time USMLE pass rates. Bottom line, SGU has the best reputation out of all the carib schools. Nuff said.

naive

One entry found.

naive

Main Entry: na·ive Variant(s): or na·ïve \nä-&#712;&#275;v, n&#299;-\ Function: adjective Inflected Form(s): na·iv·er; na·iv·est Etymology: French naïve, feminine of naïf, from Old French, inborn, natural, from Latin nativus native Date: 1654 1: marked by unaffected simplicity : artless, ingenuous2 a: deficient in worldly wisdom or informed judgment; especially : credulous b: not previously subjected to experimentation or a particular experimental situation <made the test with naive rats>; also : not having previously used a particular drug (as marijuana) c: not having been exposed previously to an antigen <naive T cells>3 a: self-taught, primitive b: produced by or as if by a self-taught artist <naive murals> synonyms see natural

&#8212; na·ive·ly or na·ïve·ly adverb
&#8212; na·ive·ness noun

How did I use it incorrectly?? Just admit that you assumed he failed, which he did not. He is an A student. Stop assuming, it will get you sued left and right. Either that or he is an idiot? He just matched in GS. What do you plan on doing? What are your USMLE scores? I want to compare them to the idiot's scores. As for me I plan on doing cardiology, and I actually did score a 99, and it is pretty funny that you are naive to think otherwise.

It seems that you do not understand the definition of "naïve" because you are not using it correctly....lol

Either your "friend" failed out of AUC and restarted at SGU or is a huge idiot that paid $12,000 plus living at AUC, then started over at SGU for no advantage whatsoever.

We all scored a 99, didn't you hear? :laugh:

If you had bothered to see the Derm , optho, ortho etc matches in AUC's 5 year past, they are statistically roughly equal (with class size adjusted) to SGU's competitive specialty residencies.

You are only fooling yourself if you believe that there is such a thing as reputation from a Caribbean school. You might have more recognition in the NY/NJ area because of SGU graduates doing residencies there, but AUC has more recognition in the MI and LA areas for the same reason. That does not equate to reputation. Once again, your vocabulary is failing you.:smuggrin:

FYI - "Nuff said" .... really? I mean, really? How old are you?:laugh: