AUC vs Ross

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

btttbgfr34

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was wondering if you had to pick between these schools, which one would you go for? I received scholarships from both but was wondering if anyone has real insight to these schools. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Of the two options you pose, I'd choose another career

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users
I hate to be that person, but you're probably going to get a lot of "don't do it" responses here. The reality of the situation is that most carib schools are for-profit, and their business model relies on high rates of attrition. Sure, you can become a doctor in 4 years, but a pretty big chunk of people who start these programs never end up graduating. Those who do graduate will face many more obstacles and hurdles in the match than MD/DO US medical grads, which is reflected in the match rate for IMGs.

I would recommend checking out the SDN Caribbean section, and possibly looking at reapplying. I'm not an admissions counselor or adcom member, but the bulk of the advice on this site seems to suggest trying for 2+ cycles with app improvements, broadening your school list, or doing a post-bacc/SMP before you even start to consider these schools.

If you must choose one, probably the less expensive one is your best bet. Both Ross and AUC are among the best Caribbean schools. Outside of that, I don't really have any advice.

Reactions: 1 users
I hate to be that person, but you're probably going to get a lot of "don't do it" responses here. The reality of the situation is that most carib schools are for-profit, and their business model relies on high rates of attrition. Sure, you can become a doctor in 4 years, but a pretty big chunk of people who start these programs never end up graduating. Those who do graduate will face many more obstacles and hurdles in the match than MD/DO US medical grads, which is reflected in the match rate for IMGs.

I would recommend checking out the SDN Caribbean section, and possibly looking at reapplying. I'm not an admissions counselor or adcom member, but the bulk of the advice on this site seems to suggest trying for 2+ cycles with app improvements, broadening your school list, or doing a post-bacc/SMP before you even start to consider these schools.

If you must choose one, probably the less expensive one is your best bet. Both Ross and AUC are among the best Caribbean schools. Outside of that, I don't really have any advice.
This^^^^. Do yourself a favor and do a lot of research before choosing this route. If you are hellbent on doing it, it's not really going to matter much which one you choose.

They are owned by the same for-profit parent, and they are going to present the exact same obstacles to you, so just pick whichever one you like more. Most people only use the Caribbean as a last ditch last resort, and understand the risks. If that's you, I have no interest in trying to talk you out of it. If not, I urge you to educate yourself before going forward. Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone. I was wondering if you had to pick between these schools, which one would you go for? I received scholarships from both but was wondering if anyone has real insight to these schools. Thank you
Hi, I am about to graduate from AUC and honestly loved it. My class size was 54 people I think only 4 people actually ended up not finishing. I felt like the education was great and AUC provided me the platform I needed to get where I am. Medical school is a lot of self learning and as long as you are capable of doing that you will be fine. AUC records all lectures and you dont have to go to class (which was huge for me because I study best by myself and can just watch recordings.) While I was on the island I had two friends transfer from ross. They liked AUC a lot more because they said Ross had class sizes of about 300-500 and all class attendance was mandatory for 8 hours a day and they had no time to study. From comparing with what my friends said, I'd choose AUC. I felt well prepared for step 1 and step 2 and did above average. You do all of your clinicals in america with american medical students and I felt like my education made me stand out in clinicals compared to the students around me. I am about to submit my rank list this month for residency match and had 49 interview offers and ended up doing around 35 interviews. I had interview offers from places as prestigious as Yale. Every single student whether you are from Caribbean or united states has to take step tests - this is your equalizer to all other students and is your area to shine. I know step 1 is pass fail now, but you do have option to report score still (so it can help you stand out). Sorry for the rant, but I do want to encourage you as I was afraid to go to a Caribbean school because of all the negativity I read from online. If I could go back, I wouldve never even wasted my time applying to american med schools and waiting around. Caribbean has rolling admission and it gets the job done as long as you put in the work. AUC all the way! Congrats on the scholarships.

• Dislike
  • Inappropriate
Reactions: 10 users
OP, I saw another one of your posts and you have the stats for DO. You should just apply broadly there instead of taking a gamble in the carribean.

Also I’m not sure why someone would say you can report a Step 1 score. No you can’t, it’s fully P/F from now on. The class size is probably not 54 either since they accept batches of students throughout the year. More like 200.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Hi, I am about to graduate from AUC and honestly loved it. My class size was 54 people I think only 4 people actually ended up not finishing. I felt like the education was great and AUC provided me the platform I needed to get where I am. Medical school is a lot of self learning and as long as you are capable of doing that you will be fine. AUC records all lectures and you dont have to go to class (which was huge for me because I study best by myself and can just watch recordings.) While I was on the island I had two friends transfer from ross. They liked AUC a lot more because they said Ross had class sizes of about 300-500 and all class attendance was mandatory for 8 hours a day and they had no time to study. From comparing with what my friends said, I'd choose AUC. I felt well prepared for step 1 and step 2 and did above average. You do all of your clinicals in america with american medical students and I felt like my education made me stand out in clinicals compared to the students around me. I am about to submit my rank list this month for residency match and had 49 interview offers and ended up doing around 35 interviews. I had interview offers from places as prestigious as Yale. Every single student whether you are from Caribbean or united states has to take step tests - this is your equalizer to all other students and is your area to shine. I know step 1 is pass fail now, but you do have option to report score still (so it can help you stand out). Sorry for the rant, but I do want to encourage you as I was afraid to go to a Caribbean school because of all the negativity I read from online. If I could go back, I wouldve never even wasted my time applying to american med schools and waiting around. Caribbean has rolling admission and it gets the job done as long as you put in the work. AUC all the way! Congrats on the scholarships.
I would be careful reading things like this. Caribbean schools have adcoms comment on threads and even YouTube videos. Seems a lil fishy

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Good catch doodle! Skeptical AF...

Attachments

• WCHr1NC.gif
    WCHr1NC.gif
    6.8 MB · Views: 73
Thank you so much! I heard so many negative comments that I had given up! How did you like housing options? I have been given a scholarship for housing from Ross, that is one of the reasons I was leading towards this school as pporsed t AUC. Are there any on campus housing options?

OP, have you tried applying >1 cycle with a broad school list that encompasses DO schools and your state school(s)? Or read anything on the Carib forum? I'm imploring you to please research the heck out of these schools before going to either. This is not a decision that should be taken lightly, and has the potential to leave you with 6-figure debt while ruining your chances of ever practicing medicine in the US or anywhere.

I'm not trying to be negative, but the advice from the wise adcom members/advisors on this site has been consistent, loud, and clear: exhaust all options before even considering carib. If you don't believe us, believe them. They've been in this game longer than some of us have even been alive.

Neither. Improve your application and then apply to US DO schools (+ MD if you have marked improvement).

I would be careful reading things like this. Caribbean schools have adcoms comment on threads and even YouTube videos. Seems a lil fishy
Are you talking vet schools?

The poster's history does suggest this person is not an adcom impersonating a student, and is probably legit.

As an admissions professional, I also throw caution. It's not the adcoms that have as much sway as program directors and faculty who can truly compare med students and their training. The way the residency system is setting up now, you may have a small number of IMG's make it, but probabilities also show that this is not a common story.

Are you talking vet schools?

The poster's history does suggest this person is not an adcom impersonating a student, and is probably legit.

As an admissions professional, I also throw caution. It's not the adcoms that have as much sway as program directors and faculty who can truly compare med students and their training. The way the residency system is setting up now, you may have a small number of IMG's make it, but probabilities also show that this is not a common story.
I did notice that the poster in question last was here in 2014 interviewing at a DO school. And suddenly reappeared. It is just a theory but maybe the school would like students to post positive things online and that's why the student is active again all of a sudden.

On a similar thread, that poster and another one (also with a very sparse history) promoted AUC:

Members don't see this ad :)
This makes me sad to see, as I'm sure you were thrilled to have received an acceptance, especially with a scholarship. However, I strongly urge you to heed the advice of others on this thread. I know it's not what you want to hear and I feel for you. I'm also fairly confident no one here wants to rain on your parade or make you feel bad, but if it means looking out for your best interest in the long run, they will. A few of the other commenters here have been around for a minute and know what they're talking about... don't fall prey to your own confirmation bias by focusing on the one response you wanted to hear, when the vast majority of people are saying otherwise. Is it possible for you to do alright from either of those schools? Yes. Is the cost of reapplying to achieve admission to a US school worth it (all-around cost, not just monetarily)? I believe so. Best of luck to you; heed the advice you receive but ultimately the choice is yours and you shouldn't feel bad about whatever you decide is best for you.

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you so much! I heard so many negative comments that I had given up! How did you like housing options? I have been given a scholarship for housing from Ross, that is one of the reasons I was leading towards this school as pporsed t AUC. Are there any on campus housing options?
I lived with my husband so I did not live on campus, but they do have dorms if you are single. If you aren't wanting to live on campus they have a housing database with apartments that are approved for island living so you dont get ripped off. We paid like 1100 for a tiny apartment, but it worked out for us. It is a little pricy to live on island, but they do help you find housing. Also you can private message me if you have any more questions since people on this site can be negative and its so hard to find legit info about these big decisions.

Last edited:
I lived with my husband so I did not live on campus, but they do have dorms if you are single. If you aren't wanting to live on campus they have a housing database with apartments that are approved for island living so you dont get ripped off. We paid like 1100 for a tiny apartment, but it worked out for us. It is a little pricy to live on island, but they do help you find housing.
True be cautious, but I legit just went this route and was nervous because of all the negative banter on these sites. If people genuinely want some positive advice regarding a caribbean success story let me know. Def not hired by AUC... I owe them a **** ton of money.

the dr i currently work for graduated from st george. he made 1.5 mil last yr.

another dr that i shadowed graduated from st george and is fellowshipping in gastro

another dr i shadowed graduated from st george is in private practice but her lifestyle is garbage and is now in crippling debt

my family friend just failed out of ross as an MS2 3 weeks ago. ik of another dr out of ross who matched but doesnt work bc of personal choices

thats all i have for u in regards to foreign schools, do as u wish

I did notice that the poster in question last was here in 2014 interviewing at a DO school. And suddenly reappeared. It is just a theory but maybe the school would like students to post positive things online and that's why the student is active again all of a sudden.

On a similar thread, that poster and another one (also with a very sparse history) promoted AUC:

Yeah I applied right out of college in 2014 didn’t get in and worked for four years in hospital. When I was getting burnt out at job I reapplied and just went Caribbean route because I didn’t want to retake mcat and was getting married. I went to AUC in 2018 since mcat was still valid there. The reason why I just popped back up is because I just graduated and am matching (hopefully) on Monday. I was talking with friends and was saying how idk why everyone discouraged me from going Caribbean before because it has been a good experience for me. However places like this site scared me when in reality this path is legit for those who are above average. So I logged back in to try to encourage those who have similar stories to my own. Positive messages on this site aren’t always fake, just rare. Good luck all.

Did you end up Matching? And if yes, to which specialty and where? Also, what were your step 1 and 2 scores?

What caught my eye was "45 interview invite and went for 35, the offer included top tier program". It is unbelievable!!!!

Put your life savings, and anything you can borrow, on red or black. Pretty much the same odds as becoming an attending going this route.

Disclaimer: I'm a Caribbean grad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi OP! Long post alert. I am currently an MS1 at AUC and I can honestly say I am loving it so far. My experience here has been pretty wonderful. My class size is about the average / a little smaller than American med schools (104) and the small class size was a huge reason I picked AUC over Ross. As someone stated above, yes the overall number of enrolled students per year is higher than this because of the rolling admissions (September, January, and May classes which all vary in size). The September class is always the biggest because mid-late summer is when most students waiting to hear from US schools receive their rejections / realize they're not coming off waitlists. Each class at Ross is about 400-500 students which is absolute insanity. If you choose AUC, I recommend starting in the January or May class, if possible, just to have the benefit of being in an even smaller class. In just a few months, our entire class has gotten to know each other and our professors on a personal level and it's been pretty great. As soon as you find your people here you'll feel like you have a family away from home.

Our curriculum also recently changed to an organ systems-based curriculum similar to many American MD / DO schools which is the most effective way to learn medicine and retain the knowledge for Step. AUC also provides a cadaver lab to students (with dissection beginning 2nd semester) whereas Ross uses the Complete Anatomy online learning system to learn anatomy. I can't imagine graduating medical school without ever seeing a cadaver - this is an absolute hallmark to your medical education.

Life on the island definitely has its pros and cons. Sint Maarten is definitely a little expensive and you will pay more for everyday life. Groceries and apartments are pricey, but not out of this world. I guess it's just something to be prepared for before coming here. The conveniences that come with living in the states are things I definitely took for granted before moving here. The beautiful libraries and coffee shops to study in, the beauty of getting in your car and going for a drive to clear your head, the endless options of restaurants and carry out, etc. You might have trouble finding certain toiletries and beauty products or your favorite brand of coffee or cereal (or have to go out of your way to get them / ship to the island). Again, these are little things, not life-altering changes, and it's easy to adjust but just something to be aware of. I have a Nespresso machine and I have yet to find Nespresso pods anywhere on the island so I just order in bulk and ship them here lol. Also - you'll often hear people talk about "island time" and it's a REAL thing! Everything on the island (restaurants, taxis, etc.) takes forever and islanders move pretty slow. It's very different to the fast-paced life we're accustomed to in America.

The island is absolutely beautiful and the views / beaches are incomparable to anything I've ever seen. I'm from the midwest so living near the ocean is a foreign concept to me and I have been soaking in every second of it. I don't know how much this matters to you OP but compared to Ross (which is more inland), you can see the ocean / lagoon from virtually any spot on or around campus at AUC at all times of the day. Dealing with the stress that comes with med school, the beauty of the island and being so close to the water is something that calms me and brings me so much joy and was actually an important reason I picked AUC over Ross. The beach is a 5 minute walk away! Granted, you will hardly have time to actually go to the beach and enjoy it but that's the beauty of being able to see it and enjoy the sunset from wherever you're standing.

Contrary to whatever you hear about Caribbean schools, the faculty at AUC (for the most part - there are a few exceptions but you'll find that at any non-Caribbean school too) really care for you and want to see you succeed. They go out of their way to provide you with all the materials necessary to be successful - practice questions, exam breakdowns, etc. They actually listen to student complaints and make changes when something isn't working. I have felt supported by the professors from day one and I'm thankful for that. I have a close friend who attends Ross and absolutely hates it. He has had nothing but bad things to say about his experience there and is actually considering transferring to AUC next semester. Barbados is not exactly the safest place to live (Sint Maarten is very safe) and Ross makes their students live on campus for the first semester. Keep in mind, their "on campus housing" is actually a 25 minute shuttle ride to campus and students are living in "houses" with 3-4 roommates that you don't get to pick. The houses are also co-ed which makes a lot of the female students uncomfortable. I lived on campus at AUC my first semester and I was able to roll out of bed at 7:55 and still make it to class at 8:00. My friend has complained to me about everything from faculty to ridiculous covid policies to the school being unorganized and having zero communication between the school and students. I feel terrible for him because my experience has been so positive.

Please, please, please, PLEASE don't let anyone here (or anywhere for that matter) tell you what to do with your life and what decision to make. There is always going to be tons of negativity surrounding Caribbean medical schools but at the end of the day, YOU KNOW WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU! Does going to a Caribbean school make it harder to get through med school? Yes. Is it more difficult to match? Yes. Are there more hoops you need to jump through? Yes. Are there inconveniences you'll have to deal with on the island? Yes. But is it doable, manageable, and absolutely worth it if your heart is set on becoming a physician and you are willing to put in all the hard work? **** YES. People are going to try their best to talk you out of it and tell you all the worst possible things that can happen. As long as you're aware of the risks and are willing to work your ass off, you will be just fine! I have multiple cousins and friends who went to Caribbean medical schools, matched (some into competitive specialities like dermatology and radiology), completed fellowships at top tier, prestigious hospitals and are making their millions laughing at everyone who tried to stop them along the way. I know that people are just trying to warn you and are commenting with good intentions, but I promise you - nobody knows what Caribbean medical school is like better than a Caribbean medical student. While going to a Caribbean medical school should be your last option, it IS still an option! Keep in mind, IMGs make up 25% of the physician workforce in the states which is HUGE. If all these doctors weren't matching then where would these numbers be coming from?! I may still be an MS1 with a treacherous path ahead of me, but I can honestly say I am so glad I came here and didn't listen to those who tried to talk me out of it. Good luck OP, I wish you the best!

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users
Each class at Ross is about 400-500 students which is absolute insanity.
This is false. The September term might have ~400 while the other incoming terms will have ~180-250. Not that it matters seeing as how the classrooms are practically empty d/t panopto and there isn't a shortage of study spaces.

Here is a photo of my match results so people can stop saying that I am not real. My two close friends from AUC also matched, one in surgery (categorical) and one in family medicine. Caribbean way may not be conventional, but it seems to be working our for me thus far.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 7.21.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 7.21.57 PM.png
    452 KB · Views: 312
Did you end up Matching? And if yes, to which specialty and where? Also, what were your step 1 and 2 scores?
Yes I ended up matching at University of Texas in San Antonio (third choice on rank list). I decided to go into pathology because I worked in the lab before med school and plan to specialize in hematology. My step 1 score was 240 and my step 2 was 245. (I personally thought step 2 was harder). My two closest friends from AUC also matched one into surgery categorical and the other family medicine. For the surgery one, I dont remember her score exactly but I think it was upper 230s (I remember she was not pleased after step 1) and then she killed step 2 I think with a score over 260s. My friend for family medicine matched and her step 1 was 243 and step 2 was in 250s. However, one of the guys I rotated with applied pediatrics and he got a 196 on step 1 and he matched!! He also went to AUC, but I am not sure what he got on step 2. My other friend from AUC matched into ED and his step 1 was in the 220s, I don't know about his step 2. Honestly, what I realized is a lot of it comes down to letters of recommendation; they talked about my letters so much in my interviews. If you have bad scores, good letters can make a huge difference. If you have any questions let me know!

Yes I ended up matching at University of Texas in San Antonio (third choice on rank list). I decided to go into pathology because I worked in the lab before med school and plan to specialize in hematology. My step 1 score was 240 and my step 2 was 245. (I personally thought step 2 was harder). My two closest friends from AUC also matched one into surgery categorical and the other family medicine. For the surgery one, I dont remember her score exactly but I think it was upper 230s (I remember she was not pleased after step 1) and then she killed step 2 I think with a score over 260s. My friend for family medicine matched and her step 1 was 243 and step 2 was in 250s. However, one of the guys I rotated with applied pediatrics and he got a 196 on step 1 and he matched!! He also went to AUC, but I am not sure what he got on step 2. My other friend from AUC matched into ED and his step 1 was in the 220s, I don't know about his step 2. Honestly, what I realized is a lot of it comes down to letters of recommendation; they talked about my letters so much in my interviews. If you have bad scores, good letters can make a huge difference. If you have any questions let me know!
Do you have a response to this?

Is St. James an outlier, with all its Caribbean competition using a different business model? Your posts seem to imply that anyone thinks that it is impossible to succeed, as you and a few examples you cite have, which I don't think anyone who knows what they are talking about ever denied.

The issue is that all Caribbean schools, including yours, do little to no screening on the front end, and the people who don't make the cut are left with big debt or a large hole in their parents' bank account, with no prospect of ever being a licensed MD. And, as the settlement indicates, the schools, and posts like yours, are less than forthcoming about the odds, since they ALL lie about the real odds of success. If they were upfront and honest, their enrollment would be far less than it is.

Last edited:
I just finished MS2 at AUC. Here's the truth: I would guess 1/2 of people make it straight through without failing a class. Bright, personable, impressive folks who have the goods. 25% make it through with a failure or two and get residencies in rural arkansas. 25% quit or fail out during MS1. The person who said "only 4 people end up not finishing" is talking crazy talk. MS1 is the hurdle.

Some of my profs were good and some sucked. I did a master's at a big state medical school in cellular physiology, taking biochem and physiology in same class as MDs, and I had good and terrible teachers along the way. AUC is no different. Some gems. Some ****ty.

I don't understand people who talk **** about caribbean medical schools. How could you possibly know? I know about one state medical school and AUC, but I would never respond to a thread about other schools.

Medical school asks you to learn at a grueling pace. If you don't have proven strategies for encoding lots of new information quickly, you must develop those strategies during medical school. This is much easier said than done. Guessing and checking what works for you while the information hose is wide open is a very unpleasant experience. If your anxiety about how to tackle the material leads to shuffling paper, you fail out.

You take 3 courses per 4-month semester. You have 3 exams + cumulative NBME finals per course. NBME finals means we are learning the same exact stuff. Anybody who is on the fence is welcome to DM me, and I could share outlines of 3 courses and you could see exactly what we are asked to memorize every 4-5 weeks between exams. Do a dry run at home and learn to teach yourself **** and do flashcards. You must hit the ground running or you will fail out. It's that simple imo.

Last edited:
I'm just finished MS2 at AUC. Here's the truth: I would guess 1/2 of people make it straight through without failing a class. Bright, personable, impressive folks who have the goods. 25% make it through with a failure or two and get residencies in rural arkansas. 25% quit or fail out during MS1. The person who said "only 4 people end up not finishing" is talking crazy talk. MS1 is the hurdle. I can only think of one person who made it past MS1 and then failed out during MS2. It's a $90K dollar bet, not $350k because ain't nobody failing out during the later years for academic reasons.

Some of my profs were good and some sucked. I did a master's at a big state medical school in cellular physiology, taking biochem and physiology in same class as MDs, and I had good and terrible teachers along the way. AUC is no different. Some gems. Some ****ty.

I don't understand people who talk **** about caribbean medical schools. How could you possibly know? I know about one state medical school and AUC, but I would never respond to a thread about other schools.

Medical school asks you to learn at a grueling pace. If you don't have proven strategies for encoding lots of new information quickly, you must develop those strategies during medical school. This is much easier said than done. Guessing and checking what works for you while the information hose is wide open is a very unpleasant experience. If your anxiety about how to tackle the material leads to shuffling paper, you fail out.

You take 3 courses per 4-month semester. You have 3 exams + cumulative NBME finals per course. NBME finals means we are learning the same exact stuff as the ****heads in this thread. Anybody who is on the fence is welcome to DM me, and I could share outlines of 3 courses and you could see exactly what we are asked to memorize every 4-5 weeks between exams. Do a dry run at home and learn to teach yourself **** and do flashcards. You must hit the ground running or you will fail out. It's that simple imo.
Sadly, potential students have no way of verifying your (admittedly frightening) statistics as these schools are under no obligation to report the facts.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Some people are more risk averse than others. It's a judgement call. We're all adults. It not working out for some is not the end of the world. It sucks. But it is another path to the same end if it works for you.

Some people are more risk averse than others. It's a judgement call. We're all adults. It not working out for some is not the end of the world. It sucks. But it is another path to the same end if it works for you.
Which is fine if legitimate attrition and match statistics were easily accessible. People are still ultimately individually responsible for such a large investment but they shouldn't have to look at random medical forums and word of mouth to get a general guesstimate of this vital information.

I really don't understand this point. The same people would fail out at any US medical school as well. In the end, you teach yourself.

Match statistics are right on the website. If you make it through, almost everybody matches if you're realistic about where you're competitive.
They don't have proper attrition rates available which is the bigger issue rather than matching.

Also, SJSM just got fined for straight up lying about their match rate. The big 3 are truthful with matches but a lot of the others won't even write the match year on the list they have.

I did my own research and knew all this before starting at Ross, many people do not and trust everything from the schools.

I really don't understand this point. The same people would fail out at any US medical school as well. In the end, you teach yourself.
Actually, no. The point is these people would absolutely NOT fail out, because they not only wouldn't be, but, in fact, were not admitted to any US medical school!! 😀

That's the whole problem with the Caribbean model. They'll take anyone and then weed them out AFTER cashing the federal loan check. Sure, it works for some who go in with their eyes wide open, but plenty of people get screwed.