AUC vs ROSS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raptor

Found one
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide which school is better?

Members don't see this ad.

when i was at ross, many auc students were transfering in towards 3rd semester. i don't think there is much of a difference during the basic sciences, but they were telling me the ross rotations were better. i don't think auc is a bad school, but ross has lots of sites (especially in nyc) and the ross office in new jersey plans your whole clinical schedule for you. i'm not sure that auc does that.

thank you soo much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm. Leaving aside which school is better, lets look at the environment.

Sint Maarten, or Dominica.

Well, I've been to both. No way I'd go to Dominica to live for a year or two.

For all practical purposes, there is really no difference in the end which school you obtain your degree from. But, to directly answer your question, both schools train and prepare students equally well for residency, and program directors who are "open-minded" and are actually willing to consider applicants from Carib programs know this and interview candidates from both. St. George's is also in the same boat.

I will tell you, as a resident in a University-based GME program that is about 70% U.S. allo grads, 20% DO, and the rest U.S. or foreign IMG, it makes absolutely no difference where you went to undergrad med once you get into a program. No one cares anymore, and you will be judged solely on your work ethic, how you get along with your colleagues and patients, and whether or not you are a competent clinician. If you can succeed in all three areas, you will sail. And, just so you know, I can count on no hands the number of times I've been asked by a patient where I went to medical school. Get it?

So, pick a school that has a track record of placing graduates in the type of residency you want in the city/location/program you want. Do well on the boards. Get good LORs. The rest will fall into place.

-Skip Intro
Ross '05 Graduate
PGY-1 Prelim Medicine
PGY-2 Anesthesiology (July '06)

Wow, thanks so much Dr. Skip Intro. I've seen you post some really good stuff on this forum and the others. I have another question since you already been successful through the process. There is a rumor that says that you have to have really good credit to go to a caribbean school. Is this rumor true? My credit isnt perfect and I am still working on improving it, will this hinder me going to one of these great schools? Will I have enough financial aid to cover the cost and living expenses? Thank you in advance.

Raptor

i guess no one can answer my question :confused: :smuggrin:

Raptor said:
i guess no one can answer my question :confused: :smuggrin:

I knew some with bad credit that had trouble getting enough loans. But we can't really answer your questions because there are too many variables. I don't have any idea what Ross' guidelines are. I know your credit affects interest rates too.