AUC vs Ross

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monsoon338

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is AUC that much better than Ross? Over on ValueMD.com, lots of previous Ross students gripe about how horrible the island is. They say that the people admitted are "greasy, grimy, and gripe all the time". And this is from people who went to Ross putting down the school they went to. Is it really that bad down there?

Is it REALLY that hard to stick out 16 months down there?

Members don't see this ad.

Is AUC that much better than Ross? Over on ValueMD.com, lots of previous Ross students gripe about how horrible the island is. They say that the people admitted are "greasy, grimy, and gripe all the time". And this is from people who went to Ross putting down the school they went to. Is it really that bad down there?

Your original question AUC vs ROSS is pretty much diet coke vs diet pepsi kind of a deal. I've said the same thing about here a lot. St. Maarten is certainly a lot nicer than Dominica, and easier to get to. But in general, most ROSS students don't put down their school, it's the island that is a sh*thole, even by the Caribbean standards. But if you lived in any place which is a 3rd World it won't be as shocking. Sticking it out for 16 monts depends entirely on your level of prep, and being able to get with the program. It's really impossible to predict before it actually happens. But if you choose ROSS just prepare yorself mentally. One thing you know for sure it was done before, someone is doing it now, and it will be done again. It might as well be you.

Good Luck

Your original question AUC vs ROSS is pretty much diet coke vs diet pepsi kind of a deal. I've said the same thing about here a lot. St. Maarten is certainly a lot nicer than Dominica, and easier to get to. But in general, most ROSS students don't put down their school, it's the island that is a sh*thole, even by the Caribbean standards. But if you lived in any place which is a 3rd World it won't be as shocking. Sticking it out for 16 monts depends entirely on your level of prep, and being able to get with the program. It's really impossible to predict before it actually happens. But if you choose ROSS just prepare yorself mentally. One thing you know for sure it was done before, someone is doing it now, and it will be done again. It might as well be you.

Good Luck

you went to ross for a short while what I dislike about all your comments about ross is you leave anyone wanting to know about ross hanging and scared maybe it wasn t good for you but it may be for others you have it against ross for your own failures for whatever the reason but you should give others with no knowledge about ross an equal fighting chance if they want to go to ross,,,cut it out already sheesh

Members don't see this ad :)

That's something new i hear. I think you got the question backwards.

That's something new i hear. I think you got the question backwards.

yep generally, i have heard that ross has a better rep than AUC.
i have also heard that island-wise, AUC>Ross.
rep-wise, i don't think it makes that much of a difference.
a prominent caribb school is a prominent caribb school.
i think the affiliate hospitals for clinicals matters a little bit..
cause i guess besides your step scores, that also is taken into heavy consideration when applying for matches.

i've heard that dominica (ross) is very rural..
so if you like nature and can deal with much of it..
by all means..

st. maarten is a tourist attraction so it's more modern and such..
so if you need the 'city life' then you will prefer auc.

i've also heard great things about SGU..
they asked me to write an extra essay so i ended up being lazy.
but i've heard apart from the higher tuition there..
it is up there with ross.

just the $o.o2 of a just-accepted-student.

p.s. i just joined studentdoctor.net.. but valuemd is much more informative.

p.s. i just joined studentdoctor.net.. but valuemd is much more informative.

:laugh: :laugh: Sorry, thats just funny. Valuemd is a good site to get info about the caribbean schools, and to catch up on all the rumors, griping that is prevalent at schools like Ross, but as an overall site, with info. about residency, medical issues, clinical rotations, books etc. etc. SDN is MILES ahead of VMD. If you are going to the islands VMD is a good resource to find out about what you'll need etc, but once you get there its pretty much useless, while SDN has info that will serve you well throughout your medical school experience and beyond.

Disclaimer: I have no vested interest in SDN, but have used both sites since starting med. school. The last time I found VMD useful was 3.7 years ago.

you went to ross for a short while what I dislike about all your comments about ross is you leave anyone wanting to know about ross hanging and scared maybe it wasn t good for you but it may be for others you have it against ross for your own failures for whatever the reason but you should give others with no knowledge about ross an equal fighting chance if they want to go to ross,,,cut it out already sheesh
Try using a period once in a while so we can understand what the hell you're trying to say.

billy doc....i mean no disrespect, but why are you constantly so down on carib schools?(particularly ross)....if i was your age, close to 50, i would be grateful for the chance ross gave you to fulfill your dream......again i mean no disrespect, but reading your posts here and on valuemd, i agree with the above poster that it is very discouraging to students interested in carib schools especially ross.