Auc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phoenix02

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just got accepted into AUC (Jan '08) and I am thrilled. What is the consensus on this school? Is it solid? Worth the investment? Comparable to St. George's and Ross? How is the residency matching? Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

AUC is one of the better schools that will give you a chance to earn a MD.

If you like an "Americanized" island and do not mind doing rotations in the NY and MI areas, then you are set.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, AUC is definitely good as far as Caribbean schools go. After graduating from there, you can practice in all 50 states. I wouldn't have any qualms.

AUC is probably the number 2 school in the Caribbean after SGU. I would rank it above Ross which is much larger and more cutthroat.

for the people that claim AUC comes 2nd in the top 3/4, what are your reasons for thinking that AUC is better than Ross? It sucks that the chances of getting a dermatology, cardiology, endocrinology, ENT etc. is nearly impossible coming out of the caribbean :( boy if i can only go back in time with the mentality i have now and correct my gpa, i wouldnt be in this position.

It took a lot of research to come to that conclusion.

In fact, the only reason why AUC will probably never be the first choice is because it has the word "Caribbean" in it. Otherwise, it will do the same job as the other 3.

Ross has very high attrition, as many as 30 to 40 percent of their students leave the university. AUC's attrition is about 10 to 12 percent, comparable to a lower tier US MD or DO school. AUC is not as cutthroat as Ross, which admits large numbers of students and then starts weeding them out. SGU's attrition is slightly lower with about 8 percent leaving, but these are for a variety of reasons.

And AUC is not a complete dump to live in either. Why people think Ross is so great is beyond my comprehension. Most people don't go down to where ever they are going to school before they actually start and when they get there they are very dissappointed. Now they are committed and figure what the hell it's only 2 years. I say forget about the "Caribbean" and go where you want to go after you have done your research!!!!!! AUC like what others have said will get you where you want go but it's up to you in the end. Good luck to all.

B

Hi,

Just got accepted into AUC (Jan '08) and I am thrilled. What is the consensus on this school? Is it solid? Worth the investment? Comparable to St. George's and Ross? How is the residency matching? Thanks for your help.

Congratulations! Welcome to the club. There is no consensus per se. I liked it a lot. I liked the island. I liked the profs. I liked 3rd year. 4th year was a pain in the ass setting up your electives, but it's like that at every school, and once you learn the process it's ok. It is solid. Any of the schools that let you become an MD are solid. It's worth the investment. It's comparable to SGU and Ross. Saba's in there, too. I matched EM with 5 or 6 others, handfull in gen surg, handfull in Gas, one in neurosurg, one in rads. If you get the grades and boards, then you will get what you want.

St. Martin is an amazing Island. But don't have too much fun there. Focous on School.