Audio/Video Questions - Strategies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rstonk

MS-4
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
While I'm not that worried about the actual content of Step I A/V questions, I don't want to let these items break my stride in a given block. Moreover, I don't exactly feel like wearing bulky headphones throughout the test...

I was thinking of skipping over A/V Q's and saving them until the end of a given block. That way, my headphones only need to go on once in that whole hour.

Do you guys see any immediate pitfalls in this strategy? I suppose it wouldn't kill me to go through the test with the headphones on, if you recommend I just suck it up.

What are your strategies, if you have any, for the A/V Q's? For people that took the test, did they break your flow in any way, and how did you handle that?

Thanks for the help :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I just kept my headphones on during the whole test time and did the occasional A/V question whenever it popped up. I didn't think the headphones were that bulky. But I wear bulky headphones in the library when I study so I'm used to it. If you think that the headphones are going to be uncomfortable throughout the test, then don't wear them until you need to. Simple as that. It only takes 5 seconds to put them on so it's not like you're going to be losing major time putting them on at the end of the block when you go back to the A/V questions.

Cant go backwards in Fred 2. You must perform the questions in the order they are presented.

WHAT THE MOTHER...ARE YOU KIDDING ME? You can't review any of the older questions in the block...like run thru the 48 and go over the 5-10 a 2nd time? THIS IS NUTS!

Members don't see this ad :)
Cant go backwards in Fred 2. You must perform the questions in the order they are presented.

False.

You can navigate to any question within a question block. The only time you CANNOT change an answer is if its part of those "paired questions" the describe in the tutorial. I personally had two of those (4 Q's total) in my Step 1.

I also wore my headphone the entire time. The headphones were ccomfy, the testing center was quiet, and I have a high threshold for distracting noises. Plus I liked the comforting "click" sound you got every time to went to the next question.

As for the OP, I see no problems with your strategy. If you've done the Fred tutorial, you know that before any A/V questions you have to click a button to show the media. This gives you plenty of time to put on the headphones. Also, if you remember from the tutorial, you can replay media over as many times as you want and start and stop throughout it. There's ample time to stop, put on headphones, and proceed when you come across an A/V question.

False.

You can navigate to any question within a question block. The only time you CANNOT change an answer is if its part of those "paired questions" the describe in the tutorial. I personally had two of those (4 Q's total) in my Step 1.

I also wore my headphone the entire time. The headphones were ccomfy, the testing center was quiet, and I have a high threshold for distracting noises. Plus I liked the comforting "click" sound you got every time to went to the next question.

As for the OP, I see no problems with your strategy. If you've done the Fred tutorial, you know that before any A/V questions you have to click a button to show the media. This gives you plenty of time to put on the headphones. Also, if you remember from the tutorial, you can replay media over as many times as you want and start and stop throughout it. There's ample time to stop, put on headphones, and proceed when you come across an A/V question.

Thanks for the clarification. But what the heck is a "paired question"? Like one stem with 2 questions? And then they don't let you go back to that...so weird.

Anywho, also, what are you guys using to get ready for the a/v questions...they're really just heart sounds we need to learn, right? So, everyone's using the UCLA website? I so suck at heart sounds. :(

False.

What happens to the paired questions if you the block backwards?

I like to start at question #48 and finish the block with question #1.

If I'm doing them backwards and paired Q's are 23-24, will it jump to 23 after doing 25?