Audiology Program in NJ???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

audiology

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything about Montclair State University's audiology program? I have a limited number of schools I can apply to and Montclair is one of them. But I keep hearing so many negative comments from different people. Does this school hae a bad rep? Please let me know, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I havent heard anything good. I know it offers a ScD rather than an AuD which is somewhat peculiar. A ScD is often equated to a PhD but I do not think a dissertation is required from Montclair as I could not locate students having completed them in the Dissertation Abstracts database. If anyone knows differently, speak up.

Hey Chicoborj (I hope I spelled it right),

I really appreciate your reply. Have you heard anything specifically about why it's not good?

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in Montclair's doctoral program now... I love it and I don't have one bad thing to say about it, nor have I heard anything bad.
The facility is brand new - it has an interview room, hearing aid room, vestibular room, OAE room, research room, audio teaching lab and so much more. We have every piece of equipment. Faculty is excellent and well known in the field. I chose Montclair's program because of the distinct Sc.D. degree. Similar to the Au.D., it is a clinicial degree, however it is compatible to the Ph.D. because it has a huge research component. We need 118 credits for the Sc.D. as opposed to a traditional Au.D. program. I am originally from New York but I moved to Jersey for this program. Feel free to ask me any additional questions. :)

Hi all,

I don't know where to ask this question, but I guess I put that question here. I've been checking out a lot of the programs and they show average GPAs of 3.6 and above. Are they referring to the cumulative GPA or GPA in the major?

It depends on the program. To be considered a competitive applicant I would recommend having over a 3.5 cumulative GPA and over a 3.6 major GPA. But, then again, there are plenty of people who get in with GPA's lower than 3.5.
You really have to consider your overall profile: GPA, GRE scores, volunteer experience, research, etc.

I was reluctant about going to Montclair, because I as well heard negative things about it. I can now say its all crap. Can't say 1 bad thing about it, the professors are very approachable and helpful. As eardoc (wonder who you are) has stated the facility is brand new and is not on campus. Who ever has negatives to say about the MSU program post them here and Ill straighten it out for you. Cheers :thumbup:

I am not one to badmouth anyone, however, you should not consider Montclair for any reason other than if it is close and you just want a degree, as in you do not care about getting one that is quality. If you look at curriculum at different programs, Osborne College of Audiology at Salus University near Phila PA is so much better.

This program is harder perhaps than Montclair but I don't want to be known for graduating from an easy program that takes anyone. Salus' program used to be PCO and there are thousands of audiologists that respect a degree from there. They have real science classes. I looked at their curriculum and can't find anything like it anywhere else.

I hope I am not offending anyone that goes to any other program. Really though, this school is beautiful. I visited there and I know people that go there. They teach you how to be a real doctor of audiology, you get hands on experience, amazing clinical rotations and they have tons of equipment. I think going anywhere else, especially in the tri-state area, is settling on something way less. I was offered a full scholarship to Vanderbilt and I am still going to Salus instead. It will be worth it in the long run because of the classes they have there. I highly reccomend it to anyone who is interested. :)

I am not one to badmouth anyone, however, you should not consider Montclair for any reason other than if it is close and you just want a degree, as in you do not care about getting one that is quality. If you look at curriculum at different programs, Osborne College of Audiology at Salus University near Phila PA is so much better.

This program is harder perhaps than Montclair but I don't want to be known for graduating from an easy program that takes anyone. Salus' program used to be PCO and there are thousands of audiologists that respect a degree from there. They have real science classes. I looked at their curriculum and can't find anything like it anywhere else.

I hope I am not offending anyone that goes to any other program. Really though, this school is beautiful. I visited there and I know people that go there. They teach you how to be a real doctor of audiology, you get hands on experience, amazing clinical rotations and they have tons of equipment. I think going anywhere else, especially in the tri-state area, is settling on something way less. I was offered a full scholarship to Vanderbilt and I am still going to Salus instead. It will be worth it in the long run because of the classes they have there. I highly reccomend it to anyone who is interested. :)

You sound like a spokesperson for the school.. Sounds a little off.. Your previous posts state that it is very medical intense, while that is a valid statement RUSH University near Chicago has a much more intense program and ciriculum. Thanks!

you're joking me right? let me start off by saying if you don't intend on badmouthing anyone, you shouldn't say that. it just makes you seem that is what your intention is, especially when its the first sentence. you do sound like a spokesperson for salus. if its true what you say about vanderbilt, then why should anyone even listen to you? i don't want to badmouth you or anything but your decision making skills are a bit off. therefore, the nonsense that you speak is garbage and on the verge of being malicious. i suggest you keep your nonsensical opinions to yourself.

have a nice day :)

Last edited:
I think a spokesperson for the program is exactly what we have here...

NOTE: waxlover joined 11/13 - below are all of his/her existing posts:

Originally Posted by waxlover (11/13 at 9:32 am)
icon1.gif
Osborne Au.D. at Salus University
Hi
I saw your post, I applied to Salus University's program in their college of Audiology. It is the only college of audiology in the country. I went for a tour and interview and I have a great feeling about getting in. I LOVED it there. Everything about it. They have a medical focus and it is really hands on. I do not think that I would go anywhere else now. They have the most intense curriculum, you can look at it online. You do real medical classes and then their audiology classes are all hands on. The building is beautiful and they had more equipment than the audiology program at any other school I looked at including Towson, Gallaudet, Vanderbilt, Montclair, Northwestern, and Arizona Health Science. I was honestly blown away. Honestly, it is hard for me to think about going anywhere else now. I see it like the Harvard of AuD programs. I know they had a program for a long time called PCO where people could get their AuD if they already had a masters, that was strange for me at first I thought the school might be like online or something. No, it is an amazing campus they have a great place there called the Pennsylvania Ear Institute, it is beautiful. You would get experience there doing everything, cochlear implants, they have three full vestibular courses when other programs have none. They even have these labs where they have tons of equipment that is not in the clinic so y
ou can practice all the time. They have their own rotary chair, which I was reading there are only a small number of in the whole country and they have one in the balance lab! I honestly would say to apply to anyone who wants to get an AuD. They help you go to conferences and I really liked the faculty that I got to meet there. They have the biggest number of students as well, so even if you think you wouldn't get in, just apply, seriously I can't say enough how much I love this program. Just don't take my spot!

Originally Posted by waxlover (11/13 at 9:42 am)

icon14.gif
I would say do Salus
Hi
I applied at Salus, I actually got money from other programs, but I still would say Salus all the way. I think with what you have you will for sure get in. They do let people in as they apply, so they do not wait till the end and compare everyone. They seemed to be very excited about me, I have a good feeling about being let in and my info is similar to yours. They told me that they accept a lot of people who are not communication sciences and disorders. They are very medical, so they do not look at speech the same way a program that is in a communication sciences dept does. They are not in a speech department. Audiology is a college there so they are looking to see if you will do good in their program. I know someone who goes there, she had just over a 3.0 but she had a great interview and she had good GRE scores and she thought that she would get really good letters of recommendation. You have to have some science pre-recs but not speech ones. I would call the lady Heather that works there, she is great and either she or the one faculty member, Dr. Inversa will help you. They have been really helpful for me. I think that you would like it there especially since you would not be the only Non-speech path person there. Do you want to a lot of research? I think the other programs you are looking at are more research than clinical. I guess that is up to you thought, what you want.
Good luck, maybe I will see you at Salus??

Originally Posted by waxlover (11/13 at 9:47 am)
icon14.gif
Did you apply to Salus?
Hi

I would say that since you have a science background you should apply to Salus in PA. They are a very science based program, and if you have good letters of reccomendation might be able to look at specific classes and overlook the total GPA. They do not look for just your average speech major, though I know a girl who goes there who had a speech background and she loves it. I was not a speech major, I am graduating with a degree in physics and was considering pre-med. They told me, when I went for a tour that since my classes in undergrad were harder than those in some speech programs that they would very much consider me. I have a slightly better GPA but I think that if you take even one class between now and when the fall starts, and you do well in it, you could get in. I would really consider it. It is a beautiful school and it really is the only school to consider if you like bio etc. They have a gross anatomy lab, they are really hands on and they really teach you like a first year med student. Had you looked there?

Originally Posted by waxlover (11/13 at 9:50 am)
Hi
My mom is actually friends with one of the faculty and she said that their program is falling apart. I had planned on applying there but now I am going Salus all the way! I would seriously not go anywhere near it. I think it used to have a good enough program, when it was a Masters. Their AuD program is bad and they have like no faculty left. Everyone good has left there.
If you want to be in PA the only real school to consider is Salus. Pitt is ok but it is really far from everything.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Waxlover (staff/faculty/representative of Salus), it is not professional to degrade other reputable programs to make your program look better.

Last edited:
Turn down a full scholarship to Vandi?! Thats crazy talk!! And if you are just now applying to schools why would you have already received a full scholarship to Vandi, am I missing something?

Last edited:
i havent heard of schools giving full rides, ive heard of partial scholarships, but nothing that extreme.

waxlover has clearly inhaled something noxious.

If you know anything about audiology, you don't turn down a full ride to Vandy unless it's a personal circumstance. Do they even give people full funding there??

I heard that the Salus Au.D program recently found the cure to pancreatic cancer, even if in stage IV? Can someone comfirm this? Another question for Salus Au.D students: is there any way I can make my feces smell a bit better without dietary adjustments? I don't own a 'fart fan'.

Hi

I guess that none of you have been offered any of the pediatric scholarships that Vandy or Gallaudet have to offer. That is a full ride. Yes it is extreme, but I guess when you are more mature than talking about farts on a post about graduate school, then you get such a thing. Maybe when you grow up you can get big and strong and go to grad school and not have to break the bank for it. Not that it is any of your business, but I was offered the scholarship for last year, had to pull away for a personal reason and now have found Salus. Think that Vandy is a great school if you want to do research, that is why they are number one on US News and World Report. Salus has a better Science and clinical program, in MY opinion, which I can have.

I am not a spokesperson for Salus, I just really am impressed by it. This is a message board, I am entitled to my opinion, just like the person who thought that Montclair was a good school.

good luck to you all, sounds like you will need it.

i havent heard of schools giving full rides, ive heard of partial scholarships, but nothing that extreme.

you know what we call people like you in Brooklyn, douche bags, so take your arrogance and shove it, now thats my opinion.

Hi everyone,

I am currently a Salus AuD student. I do agree that Waxlover sounds a little arrogant. However, he/she is correct that they have a great program. If you have any questions about the program I would be happy to answer them for you.

speaking of the pediatric scholarship at Gally, applicants should know that the information on the website is wrong. the stipend is significantly smaller this year, but maybe it will change again in the future. i think they are feeling the effects of the crazy economy.

'Douche bag' is the perfect term to describe this guy. 'Tool' also comes to mind.

i understand this is an internet forum and generally that's exactly the place for this kind of banter.

BUT i have to protest. not only is this forum read by other pre-med and med students, who will be our future colleagues and possibly bosses, it's also read by professionals in our own field. take for example the professor from Salus.

i think comments like this and others recently on this board do the opposite of advocating for our field and ourselves as individuals.

the purpose of this forum is to help other students get into their graduate degree program and succeed in it. i don't see how any of the negative comments recently contribute to that goal at all. if i were a new student looking for help on this forum, i would be turned off.

i understand this is an internet forum and generally that's exactly the place for this kind of banter.

BUT i have to protest. not only is this forum read by other pre-med and med students, who will be our future colleagues and possibly bosses, it's also read by professionals in our own field. take for example the professor from Salus.

i think comments like this and others recently on this board do the opposite of advocating for our field and ourselves as individuals.

the purpose of this forum is to help other students get into their graduate degree program and succeed in it. i don't see how any of the negative comments recently contribute to that goal at all. if i were a new student looking for help on this forum, i would be turned off.

That is YOUR purpose for this forum with all do respect. You do not determine mine. If I wish to have a little fun, such as tell you to head on down to McDonalds and pick up a whamburger with those french cries, I am obligated to do so. I do enjoy your informative posts though, so keep those coming.

i understand this isn't the only reason to be on this forum but....

"The mission of SDN is to assist and encourage all students through the challenging and complicated healthcare education process."

http://www.studentdoctor.net/about-us/

Oh yes Waxlover, we should absolutely self-censor and cease talking about flatulence immediately. Having fun is absolutely against the rules when you're in graduate school. Future employers could connect names with faces with employees with SDN with ancient postings and then we'd all be in a world of **** in another decade.

Maybe one of these days you'll grow up and be big and strong and do something besides pursue self-serving interests and sign some enlistment papers. Then, should you make it out alive, you'll get a full ride on the GI Bill instead of an enormous ding dong that you seem to be riding on at current.

In any case, Dustbug20 doesn't need to be another dreg on society and take others' money; he pays for his own tuition with his own hard work through something called employment.

Maybe one of these days you'll grow up and be big and strong and do something besides pursue self-serving interests and sign some enlistment papers. Then, should you make it out alive, you'll get a full ride on the GI Bill instead of an enormous ding dong that you seem to be riding on at current.

:lol::lol:

Oh yes Waxlover, we should absolutely self-censor and cease talking about flatulence immediately. Having fun is absolutely against the rules when you're in graduate school. Future employers could connect names with faces with employees with SDN with ancient postings and then we'd all be in a world of **** in another decade.

In any case, Dustbug20 doesn't need to be another dreg on society and take others' money; he pays for his own tuition with his own hard work through something called employment.
:lol:

I keep getting a good feeling about Montclair and if I don't get accepted, it will shatter my heart.
:xf::scared::scared::xf::luck:

Oh how I remember being in your position audiology! Montclair was my 1st choice... and when that tiny thin envelope showed up in my mailbox my heart nearly jumped out of my chest. I have high hopes for you and when (not if!) you get accepted, you will weigh the pros and cons of each school and make your decision. I got the same feeling about Montclair's program that you did; in fact, all of my fellow students got that feeling and no one has any regrets.