Audiology vs optometry salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RLK

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone knew how the average audiology salary compares to optometry. Is it around the same or is it a lot less?

I'm just trying to think of some backup plans in case I don't get accepted into optometry school. Money isn't the most important thing, but I'm gonna need enough to pay off my student loans and live on.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
According to the US Department of Labor:

Audiologist:
Median annual earnings of audiologists were $48,400 in 2002. The middle 50 percent earned between $39,510 and $58,430. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $32,500, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $73,130.

According to a 2003 survey by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, the median annual salary for full-time certified audiologists who worked on a calendar-year basis, generally 11 or 12 months annually, was $52,000. For those who worked on an academic-year basis, usually 9 or 10 months annually, the median annual salary was $47,500. The median starting salary for certified audiologists with one to three years experience was $43,000 on a calendar-year basis. Certified audiologists who worked 25 or fewer hours per week had a median hourly salary of $28.00.

Optometrist:
Median annual earnings of salaried optometrists were $86,090 in 2002. The middle 50 percent earned between $62,030 and $115,550. Median annual earnings of salaried optometrists in 2002 were $87,070 in offices of other health practitioners. Salaried optometrists tend to earn more initially than do optometrists who set up their own independent practice. In the long run, however, those in private practice usually earn more.

According to the American Optometric Association, median net annual income for all optometrists, including the self-employed, was $110,000 in 2002. The middle 50 percent earned between $82,500 and $156,500.

Also, this web site stated that in 2 states, you are not required to have license to practice audiology and of those 48, 12 do not require CE.

rpames said:
According to the US Department of Labor:

Audiologist:
Median annual earnings of audiologists were $48,400 in 2002. The middle 50 percent earned between $39,510 and $58,430. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $32,500, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $73,130.

According to a 2003 survey by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, the median annual salary for full-time certified audiologists who worked on a calendar-year basis, generally 11 or 12 months annually, was $52,000. For those who worked on an academic-year basis, usually 9 or 10 months annually, the median annual salary was $47,500. The median starting salary for certified audiologists with one to three years experience was $43,000 on a calendar-year basis. Certified audiologists who worked 25 or fewer hours per week had a median hourly salary of $28.00.

Optometrist:
Median annual earnings of salaried optometrists were $86,090 in 2002. The middle 50 percent earned between $62,030 and $115,550. Median annual earnings of salaried optometrists in 2002 were $87,070 in offices of other health practitioners. Salaried optometrists tend to earn more initially than do optometrists who set up their own independent practice. In the long run, however, those in private practice usually earn more.

According to the American Optometric Association, median net annual income for all optometrists, including the self-employed, was $110,000 in 2002. The middle 50 percent earned between $82,500 and $156,500.

Also, this web site stated that in 2 states, you are not required to have license to practice audiology and of those 48, 12 do not require CE.

Thanks. That's some good information.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind that those Audiology figures are based on today's standards. In 2012, Audiologist will be required to have doctorate degrees, so this field is undergoing plenty of changes right now. Salaries will undoubtedly follow the trend towards a more clinical approach to the field - for the better.

also keep in mind those figures were not for optometrists for their own practices. starting up new optometry practices are very difficult to do these days and most make less than those numbers... especially for the first 5-10 years.

Audiology salaries are far lower than optometry as previous posters have stated stats for previous years. While audiology salaries may go up if medicare direct access is achieved (amongst other legislative changes), I don't think the AuD vs the M.A./M.S. will make a substantial difference. Owning one's own practice is the best way to advance your salary in audiology. I don't believe audiology will close the gap between itself and its big brother counterpart anytime in the near future.