Audition Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Just Applied

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I were a student in Philly and wanted to persue a residency position in NY, would I be able to do audition rotations in the NY area like Mt. Sinai or NYP, or LIJ (My family lives in the area) or would I be restricted to only areas near my school (Drexel)? I obviously would be doing this in hopes to attain a residency position.

Members don't see this ad.

You can basically apply to do an audition elective at any residency program in the country. You'll need to look more into the specifics with your school and the program in terms of getting credit. Community hospitals may only have "loose" associations with medical schools so getting credit for graduation may be trickier.

Members don't see this ad :)
teamdick said:
You can basically apply to do an audition elective at any residency program in the country. You'll need to look more into the specifics with your school and the program in terms of getting credit. Community hospitals may only have "loose" associations with medical schools so getting credit for graduation may be trickier.

Can an audition (elective ) rotation hurt your chances? :mad:

A few reasons to do audition electives:
First, you expose yourself to the program. If you are a competative applicant, but not top notched, and you do well on your elective you can greatly increase your chances of getting moved up on the rank list. Programs would rather take people they know and work well with over a paper candidate who did a good acting job during the interview. Now, this does not always happen, for example, no matter how well you do on your Derm audition, if you have a 187 and C- average, you liekly aren't getting the spot. Then some programs always like to take AOAs and top of the class people.
Secondly, you can get a LOR from the elective, and if it's from some good name place with a well known Chairman, it will help you.
Of course you can bomb the elective, it's a double edged sword. Just remember to work hard, read, show interest, and play nice with everyone.

What are you applying into? This will help you decide.

The number of residencies int eh city is huge.