Auditions: SUB-I vs Elective, does it matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1139416

Got an audition rotation as an elective at a VSLO site I would love to go to residency at. Found out that they have a "SUBI" version of the elective that was offered to me. Does the difference really matter?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it really depends on the program. Might be only a nominal difference, or it might have notably different expectations. Some sub-I rotations really stress the “I,” others not so much. I would ask the program coordinator about it.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it really depends on the program. Might be only a nominal difference, or it might have notably different expectations. Some sub-I rotations really stress the “I,” others not so much. I would ask the program coordinator about it.

Thank you! I looked up the description of both positions on the "visiting student" catalog and they are both exactly the same, literally just copied and pasted. Is that a good sign?

Members don't see this ad :)
It really is hard to know. I’ve done electives that were awesome at the same program where I know the sub-I rotation in my specialty is actual useless trash. I’d say just rotate at places that matter to you and rotations your need.

There realistically is no difference--regardless of whether they are officially called a sub-I, the expectation in an audition rotation is usually to try and function at the level of an intern. If they are offering you a sub-I you should probably take it.

Reactions: 1 users
Since a sub-I has higher expectations than a regular rotation, is the grading distribution more lenient? (i.e. is it easier to get Honors?)

Since a sub-I has higher expectations than a regular rotation, is the grading distribution more lenient? (i.e. is it easier to get Honors?)

You mean the way they do it for "AP" classes in high school? Lol

• Haha
  • Love
It doesn’t matter. It is an audition, meaning you want to get a letter and potentially interview/go there. If they suggest doing a sub I, then you do the sub I. Declining a sub I, in and of itself, may be seen negatively

Reactions: 1 user
In my limited experience it's better because you're not being graded on a curve against your classmates. So in theory everyone who completes a sub-I can honor it, and from my experience most do as long as you put in the work. Not sure if the standards are different at auditions in other institutions.

Literally will not matter. If there really is a difference in the rotations, you should strive to make it a non-difference. Because you want them to evaluate you as a sub-I and you should make that clear up front. Because you really are auditioning for that program.

My experience with getting honors vs high pass vs pass is 10% skill 10% personality 80% what my grader ate for dinner. So yes shoot for the honors but there’s a huge variation in how it’s given out.