Auditions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onagoodday

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. Current Osteopathic MS3. I am currently freaking out about auditions. I want to do ACGME EM, and I was wondering if there were ever situations where people just could not get accepted to auditions?

I have applied to places on vsas and have already been denied by two places due to them already being full. I applied the second they were available.

Any tips or suggestions on places where I could secure an audition or how to increase my chances of getting some. I have no geographic preference and my USMLE scores are above the cutoff for all the programs to be accepted to rotate.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to places that didn't use vsas. They responded quickly and I didn't have a problem getting spots. Problem is they might be filled up already but they respond very quickly to emails.

Sent from my SM-G386T using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Start applying to less competitive places.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have several places that I applied to sitting in "Pending Host Institution Review" status and one in "Under Host Institution Review" status. Did you get a "Rejected" or how did you find out that you were denied the rotation?

I have emailed a few places, no responses. Any suggestions on places to try that do not use vsas? I have found the vast majority use it. Also, I am not applying at particularly competitive places.

I knew I was denied bc I received emails that they were full from the coordinator.

how flexible were your dates? If youre asking for rotations in just 1 or 2 months, then its very difficult to accommodate vs. 3 or 4 available months.

Very flexible, I have dates open July-October for electives

FWIW some places fill prior to VSAS opening (unofficially of course), or they fill shortly after VSAS opening. I recall having my rotations set by March. I would recommend cold calling/emailing all programs and hope for the best.

Reactions: 1 users
Look in the saem residency catelog to find lists of current programs by state then compare to vsas. You'll find some that arent in vsas. Not all residency sites use VSAS. We dont use it, and we nearly filled our spots before most programs even open in VSAS.

Hello. Current Osteopathic MS3. I am currently freaking out about auditions. I want to do ACGME EM, and I was wondering if there were ever situations where people just could not get accepted to auditions?

I have applied to places on vsas and have already been denied by two places due to them already being full. I applied the second they were available.

Any tips or suggestions on places where I could secure an audition or how to increase my chances of getting some. I have no geographic preference and my USMLE scores are above the cutoff for all the programs to be accepted to rotate.
Which places were already full?

JPS in Texas says they're full in August.

Look at less competitive places. Not everyone can rotate at big-name programs during prime audition months. I think LSU Baton Rouge and the University of Mississippi accepted me to rotate there within 24 hours of my application, even for prime months.

I was declined for that block due to them being full.

Hmm I applied via their paper application at the end of feb (before I knew they'd be using vsas) -and haven't heard anything. They emailed me on Thursday and said they sent all apps to the emergency med dept April 1st and that they'd be making decisions soon.

Last edited:
Anyone hear anything from Cook County? There's a bunch of programs that are still not open on VSAS yet (i.e. Yale)

Hmm I applied via their paper application at the end of feb (before I knew they'd be using vsas) -and haven't heard anything. They emailed me on Thursday and said they sent all apps to the emergency med dept April 1st and that they'd be making decisions soon.

I didn't get mine in until late March or early April, so I may have been too far down the list to consider.

Anyone hear anything from Cook County? There's a bunch of programs that are still not open on VSAS yet (i.e. Yale)
Cook County is full july-october at least, they have yet to send out waitlist requests yet

Cook County is full july-october at least, they have yet to send out waitlist requests yet

Shoot. I am hoping Mount Sinai will take me at this point as I had applied really early for these programs (like within 10 mins of them opening). Just got denied from UChicago. This is getting scary...

Shoot. I am hoping Mount Sinai will take me at this point as I had applied really early for these programs (like within 10 mins of them opening). Just got denied from UChicago. This is getting scary...

Apparenty often programs fill with their own students before they even open on VSAS. Wish they'd tell us that before we throw 15 bucks at VSAS.

Apparenty often programs fill with their own students before they even open on VSAS. Wish they'd tell us that before we throw 15 bucks at VSAS.

I have heard this as well. Let's hope there's some spots available at some point in the near future.

I applied to about 10 different ACGME programs as a DO and only heard back from a few. The ones I set up in the fall I didn't hear back until June/July. Just my experience

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app