Auditions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dj-Roomba

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the general advice for audition rotations? My naïve self had written off FM before med school but I have been really enjoying my time on my FM and outpatient IM rotations. I have recently started considering applying FM but am unsure about the necessity of audition rotations in the field. Obviously I am not opposed to doing some if necessary but would prefer to not spend months away from my family if I don't have to. My stats for reference:

Step 1: 246
Level 1: 641
Rotations: A's (my school assigns letter grades); Honors for FM and psych
1 abstract, 3rd author
Worked as a medical assistant for 3 years before med school

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Auditions are NOT needed for FM. They are more for your benefit than for the programs. I did not audition anywhere (just did my sub-i at my home program), got interviews almost everywhere I applied, and matched at my top choice. If you can demonstrate a genuine interest in FM and don't have any major red flags you're not mentioning, you will be just fine for FM.

COVID caveat: I do think that people who do auditions and do well will get a bit more of a boost than usual this cycle, just because we have met them in person and know we like them vs someone we've only met on paper and virtually. That said, we have also had people we were less than impressed with who might have been higher on our rank list if they hadn't rotated with us, so it's definitely a double edged sword.
How did the sub-i at your home program work out? I have a small but very competetive community program in my hometown and don't want to risk blowing my chance if a sub-i isnt really needed.