August 1st DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PAT = 23
QR = 20
RC = 17
BIO= 18
GCHEM = 19
OCHEM = 19
total science = 19
avarage = 19

I know that my score isn't good but it's still above what I expected although it's lower than what most people expected from me but I do not want to retake it.

Even if I retake it, I don't know if I can do better because I am sure that the questions I have missed were not on any of the study materials I have used.

I am really mad at my math score because they were very easy. I went over each problem twice and still had 10 min extra. I expected 30 so I don't know what happened there. Most questions took me 20 sec to do once, 10 sec to do twice. I didn't have any long word problems. Max was like 2 line long.

PAT: First 3 angle ranking were hard but the rest of them were like 30degree vs. 60 degree vs. 90 degree vs. 120 degree so angle was easy. There was one hole punching problem that was several times harder than Crack PAT. They do 4/5 folds twice and then make a hole that creates 4 half holes at once by using 1 hole. I lost my crack PAT 1 year ago and I didn't practice PAT since then. I had less than 1 min left for 15 questions of folding so I spent less than 5 sec to answer each of them. I expected 18 or less so I was surprised that I got 23.

RC was better than I expected. The highest practice score I got was 10 so 17 was a big jump. I think I could have gotten 18 if i had 1 more sec. I was about to click on the right answer but then time was over.

I don't have much to say about science. They were hard. And I had no choice but to guess on lab questions in bio and gchem cuz I never studied them. I went over destroy ochem several times but still struggled.

MY GPA 3.72 science, 3.73 total.
I am well aware of my low science scores on DAT but I only applied to the schools that require 19 or less on DAT, less than 20 on PAT, and less than 3.6 GPA so I hope I have a chance.

p.s. plz don't make fun of my score XD.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congrats!

you know, I did expect you to get REALLY HIGH scores from you! :)

However, I am really happy for you, since these scores are due to your hard works! That's what it matters right?

again, congrats!

enjoy your summer time! :D

ohh, I heard that sciences are getting harder and QR is getting easier in Aug, is that true?

Last edited:
Solid scores!!
Can you post your Topscore results if you don't mind?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
CAn any one tell me if Cliff's bio has computerized practice tests?

thanks a lot for your help

wow GooD Job!!! :thumbup: :)

Dont worry about retake, I think with the solid Gpa that you have and these scores are above average too. You would do great.

COngratulations. Its finally over for you.

Umm what kind of lab questions did you have for Bio and Chem?? Can you remember the main topics?

I think you have decent scores dude!
Go get some rest and relax!
You definitely don't need to retake (at least IMO).

Nice scores! You definitely have a shot at acceptances with your GPA and DAT. And wow, you had a minute left for 15 pattern folding questions and still ended up with a 23? Pretty impressive.

Also, you shouldn't limit your schools to those that don't seem as competitive as others. You need to aim high and have some confidence b/c you never know what will happen.

I was also expecting high numbers from you but you did the best you could and that's all you can ask for. You've applied smart and I think your GPA shows committment and dedication throughout your undergraduate studies. Enjoy the rest of your summer, you've studied hard.

No section under 17, good job!
When you said the math is like 3+7, i feel like %^*%&&$$

QR was super easy. I think they were easier than SAT1 math that I took 6 yrs ago. I know that I shouldn't tell what was on DAT because it's against the rule so let me modify it and say it. It was asking like what's 3+7.

First of all congrats, those are good scores and with your GPA and some decent EC's you have a good chance of getting in somewhere

Second it that statement is even remotely true, i wanna jump off a bridge(but there is none around where i live). I do kinda hate how some passages are really easier than others on standardized tests, and i think its unfair sometimes but at the end of the day its just chance so you have to deal with the hand thats dealt.

Good luck with applications!(Secondaries suck:thumbdown:)

Members don't see this ad :)
hey congrats! i think your scores are really solid!

may i ask what study materials you used?

WEll done:thumbup:

PAT = 23
QR = 20
RC = 17
BIO= 18
GCHEM = 19
OCHEM = 19
total science = 19
avarage = 19

I know that my score isn't good but it's still above what I expected although it's lower than what most people expected from me but I do not want to retake it.

Even if I retake it, I don't know if I can do better because I am sure that the questions I have missed were not on any of the study materials I have used.

I am really mad at my math score because they were very easy. I went over each problem twice and still had 10 min extra. I expected 30 so I don't know what happened there. Most questions took me 20 sec to do once, 10 sec to do twice. I didn't have any long word problems. Max was like 2 line long.

PAT: First 3 angle ranking were hard but the rest of them were like 30degree vs. 60 degree vs. 90 degree vs. 120 degree so angle was easy. There was one hole punching problem that was several times harder than Crack PAT. They do 4/5 folds twice and then make a hole that creates 4 half holes at once by using 1 hole. I lost my crack PAT 1 year ago and I didn't practice PAT since then. I had less than 1 min left for 15 questions of folding so I spent less than 5 sec to answer each of them. I expected 18 or less so I was surprised that I got 23.

RC was better than I expected. The highest practice score I got was 10 so 17 was a big jump. I think I could have gotten 18 if i had 1 more sec. I was about to click on the right answer but then time was over.

I don't have much to say about science. They were hard. And I had no choice but to guess on lab questions in bio and gchem cuz I never studied them. I went over destroy ochem several times but still struggled.

MY GPA 3.72 science, 3.73 total.
I am well aware of my low science scores on DAT but I only applied to the schools that require 19 or less on DAT, less than 20 on PAT, and less than 3.6 GPA so I hope I have a chance.

p.s. plz don't make fun of my score XD.

Nice scores, I have seen you on SDN for quite a while now and I bet you are so glad to be done with the DAT, so congrats on that! I can't wait to feel the same sense of relief in a couple weeks. :D

I was just curious about your suggestion to skip to the last passage if we get the crocodile one for the first- would you just have to click the next button a bunch of times to get to it, or was there some main menu that you could navigate to each passage with? I wonder how time-consuming it would be to click through all the way, because I need all the time I can get for RC.

hey congrats! i think your scores are really solid!

may i ask what study materials you used?

hm... let's see
I went over top score and none of my score was over 18. It was around 10 most of time.

I went over destroyer several times which I thought was great but maybe my score doesn't support it. LOL Dr. Romano is going to be so angry if he finds out that someone who bought his book got lower than 20 in all science sections.
I was expecting to write a testimony for him :laugh:

I had a friend who had cliff bio. I read about half of it. I thought questions at the end of each chapter were very difficult so didn't do those but I still read half way thru. Maybe that's why my BIO score is so low.

PAT, I used crack PAT 1 year ago and I stopped studying for it because it was gone when my PC died. I think Kaplan BB is overkill, LOL. My PAT was easier than Kaplan blue book especially in angle ranking problems but I think crack was good for time management. I usually finished crack pat with 1~2 min left but I had 1 min left for 15 foldings~. I guess not studying PAT for a year slowed me down.

MATH, dat destroyer math section is overkill. There was a question asking for area of square and then side length was given :laugh:

hey joonkim! good job on your scores bro! i've seen you here for quite a while! back when i took my first test to where i am taking my second test next week!

relax and have a good summer! no need for a retake! :thumbup:

great job man! i've been seeing you around here for a long time and i even found myself getting nervous too while you're takin the exam today haha i woke up at like 2pm and logged on to SDN and the first thing i thought was like oh yea, joon must be struggling with his PAT by this time LOL
Good luck with the rest of your app and now go out and have some fun! you're not supposed to be on SDN at least tonight

:claps:You did A great job N should be fine-
I guess the only thing that you should do from now on is just praying!:)

How did ya tackle ur RCT passages? did you use Kaplan's method, Search & Destroy, or others? Thank you for your help

Good job bro, judging by your constant presence on this site, I know you worked for it. ha

I had less than 1 min left for 15 questions of folding so I spent less than 5 sec to answer each of them. I expected 18 or less so I was surprised that I got 23.

and 1min for 15 questions and you got a 23?! VERY nice work there.

CAn any one tell me if Cliff's bio has computerized practice tests?

thanks a lot for your help

Like someone said above, yes they do... I thought you might also be worth mentioning that if you get the version of the ap bio with the cd-rom (I think it's like $5-10 more than the regular 3rd edition), you get 3 additional 1 hour tests on the cd (compared to the 2 in-book exams you get in the regular edition)... for a total of 5 1hr tests on the cd-rom.

nice joon was pulling for you

I will take mine sept 1 and I would be more than happy with your scores.. :thumbup:

For the bio lab section did you just have like definitions of the different process or was it more like looking at some gel and figuring out distances or molecular weight of different parts of protein.

AGain for chem lab was it just like asking definitions of processes like fractional distillation etc etc or something else.

I dont get the lab part...and I have not studied for it either..but I dont even know what to study?:confused:

If you trust me and get the same passages, do the followings
Crocodile and Vision passages = Kaplan method is way better than S and D.Fungi = S and D is way better than Kaplan method.

Dude, thanks alot-
I hope "many" people post/share their "TOPICS" in RCT like you :thumbup:

Last edited:
good scores. you might want to talk to certain of your "top tier" schools to see if a 17 on rc is good. that is a very important section that can easily make or break your application.

Good job man. We should see less of your threads now right? :)

I don't know.
I have been on SDN for over 3 years and it's hard to imagine leaving this place.

I am hoping that I don't retake DAT but I will think about the worst situation and make sure I don't forget what I learned from today's experience.

good scores. you might want to talk to certain of your "top tier" schools to see if a 17 on rc is good. that is a very important section that can easily make or break your application.

Not to say that this statement is not true, but someone always HAS to come on and say it, and it always makes me laugh, (counting each science topic separately) there are 6 sections on the test, the three sciences and PAT are clearly important..........that leaves........two sections....now go back and read the quote I put up, read it, and crack up

anyone notice the forum pages take about a year and a half to load recently?

well...I thought I said little too much about the detail and didn't want to cause any troubles.

What kind of troubles can you possibly cause? I don't think you had posted any exact word for word questions and answers yet.

What kind of troubles can you possibly cause? I don't think you had posted any exact word for word questions and answers yet.

I don't know. Apparently, some people had different opinion.