August 2005 OAT or October 2005 OAT?

A

achino2

Hello fellow pre-optometrists and optometrists!
I know I don't post here ever, but I am always browsing through the forums and am learning so much from all of you! Anyways, I wanted some of your opinons regarding the upcoming OAT's. I want to apply to optometry school this upcoming fall, and there are two OAT's I can take: the August 2005 OAT, which is computerized, or the October 2005 OAT, which is the last pencil/paper exam that will ever be given. However, I am not sure which one to take. Here is my situation....

This summer, I will have more time to study for the OAT (I will be take one summer course though.), but I am afraid of the computerized format of the OAT. I have heard it is fairly difficult to maneuver through some of the sections and use the given time efficiently. For the fall, I have a full course load (17 credit hours) and won't have much time to study for the OAT, but I am more familiar and feel that I might do better on a paper/pencil exam (as compared to a computerized exam).

So with all this said, WHICH OAT SHOULD I TAKE?!? Any advice would be great! Thanks! :)

EDIT: Just so you all know, if you take the August 2005 OAT, you are ineligble for the October 2005 written OAT exam (due to their 3 month interval policy).

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

In my opinion, I think you would be better off taking the computerized OAT in August 2005, because:

- your file would be considered "complete" sooner (provided you have already sent in your transcripts and letters of rec)
- it sounds like you have more time to study for it = a better score

Don't worry about the computerized format. A highly recommended practice tool is the Topscore CD for OAT because it allows you to simulate the testing setting. It definitely allows you to get used to taking computer tests.

hope this helps.

t.s said:
Hello,

In my opinion, I think you would be better off taking the computerized OAT in August 2005, because:

- your file would be considered "complete" sooner (provided you have already sent in your transcripts and letters of rec)
- it sounds like you have more time to study for it = a better score

Don't worry about the computerized format. A highly recommended practice tool is the Topscore CD for OAT because it allows you to simulate the testing setting. It definitely allows you to get used to taking computer tests.

hope this helps.

Are there any OFFICIAL tools that help prepare for the computerized OAT? The reason I ask is because I purchased TOP Score but didn't end up using it at all. Maybe it was just me, but I found the questions from TOP Score really hard AND they didn't even closely resemble the kind of questions on the official practice test you get from the OAT people. Also, the real OAT was WAY easier than TOP Score. I found the TOP Score questions very convoluted and required many steps to reach the answer. The real OAT was nothing like that... in fact, I found most questions on the real OAT fairly straightforward.

Did anybody else find TOP Score just hideous? I should have kept the CD because then I could have given it to someone instead of just wasting $$$....

Anyways, I just feel I have to give people on this forum some warning about TOP Score since I seem to be the only one who didn't find it helpful: if you feel like CRYING after doing a practice test on TOP Score, try doing the official practice test sent by the OAT people. If you can do the official stuff, you should be good for the OAT.

Also, I am most definitely a paper-pencil person so if given a choice, I would opt for the October exam. I wouldn't want anything rattling me on test day if it could have been prevented (I'm starting to feel old and dated... I've ALWAYS written tests by hand!!) However, if you don't rattle easily, or if your preference for the tried-and-true paper exam isn't really that strong, write the August OAT. Apparently, there is some advantage to completing your application earlier if a school has rolling admission -- especially if your gpa/OAT aren't that great. At the very least, if you do poorly in August, you might be able to re-write in October.

PLUS...you might feel a lot better doing it in August. Who wants the OAT hanging over one's head during fall term? Good luck.