august 2008 retake or just submit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ycheung8

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a search, but the answers that I found was more or less relevant to admissions before 2007. Plus there's such a varied response, several have said August MCAT is too late and that the applicant should wait one more year, and others have said that August MCAT is doable but disadvantageous nonetheless.

Question: Should I just submit the app as early as I can so that I can be complete by August (at latest) or should I retake the MCAT in August?

Or

Should I use some strategy and ask SELECT schools to process my app without waiting for my 2008 MCAT score?

My stats:
July 2007 MCAT: 26 R
August 2007 MCAT: 31 R
(currently registered for August 7th 2008 MCAT)

overall GPA: 3.5
science GPA: not sure yet, probably 3.3

ECs
- volunteering at hospital
- involved in student government for two years
- editor-in-chief for one year
- teacher's assistant for intro bio
- secretary for one year
- social chair for one year

I really feel that I can score significantly higher on the MCAT this year because I've taken more science courses inbetween that have helped me understand intro bio, intro chem and intro physics more. I'm also practicing my reading skills everyday.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't take it again...you've already repeated it and there's no guarantee you'll do better this time.

A 31 is a good score, so stop being neurotic and just apply with what you have.

bump, more advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with foster. I would not take the MCAT again. DO take more classes and get straight As to get your GPA as high as possible (and inform schools you applied to via update letters at the end of the semester).

I applied two years ago, back when they only offered the MCAT twice each year. I couldn't take it in April so I turned in my AMCAS in July and took the MCAT in August. I had a 3.9 GPA and scored a 39 on the MCAT with a publication in a good journal and good extracurriculars, but I didn't even get interviews at some places that I really thought I should have and I got wait-listed at a lot of places too. I was fortunate and ended up at Duke, but it was one of only two schools that accepted me. Taking the MCAT late is definitely a disadvantage. I would consider applying with what you have, and taking the MCAT in August anyway without mentioning it to any schools until you get your score back. If you do significantly better, call and update your application. I've never heard of anyone doing this, but it sounds like a good idea to me.

I would consider applying with what you have, and taking the MCAT in August anyway without mentioning it to any schools until you get your score back. If you do significantly better, call and update your application. I've never heard of anyone doing this, but it sounds like a good idea to me.

The downside to this is if the OP pulls another 26, any school that might have considered him at a 31 will probably pull their acceptance/interview. And the schools do hear you've taken the test whether you mention it or not -- AMCAS reports to the schools you submitted primaries to automatically. I see this as more likely to burn you than help you since the odds of someone having taken it twice already doing dramatically better than a 31 simply isn't as likely as the odds of someone doing worse.

Retaking the MCAT is almost pointless for you at this point because that 3.3 BCMP is going to hold you back a lot more than a 31 ever will. I suggest looking into raising that a bit.

I wouldn't retake it - a 31 is a good score. I think anyone should be darn sure you're going to score significantly higher if you're going to retake the test...otherwise you're doing yourself a disservice.

No MCAT score will "make up" for a low BCPM. I definately say submit ASAP.... In addition, taking more upper-level science does not necessarily increase your MCAT score. Assuming you have a well-balanced score, you probably have a decent grasp of the concepts tested on the MCAT. You also have to think about the possibility of statistical regression towards the mean - you're likely to score lower. And even if you do increase, I would say that submitting late would still put you at a worse disadvantage than you would applying now with your (good) score. Just my $0.02

In addition, taking more upper-level science does not necessarily increase your MCAT score.

Agree. A stronger argument could be made that you will never know as much of the core sciences tested on the MCAT as you do immediately after finishing those courses, while it is fresh in your mind. Upper levels may help hammer in some specifics, but you likely forget more of the basics.

Thank everyone.

Just to clarify, it was pretty balanced 10 PS, 10 V, 11 BS.

I think I'll look into the partial MCAT refund option.

Thank everyone.

Just to clarify, it was pretty balanced 10 PS, 10 V, 11 BS.

I think I'll look into the partial MCAT refund option.

i'm in the same position, i signed up for the august 22 mcat and my last score was a 29, which i know i can bring up.. 3.3 undergrad, 3.7 gpa masters, decent EC

i have the option to push my test forward to august 5 (i don't think i'll be ready for the july mcat), should i?

I have a similar situation. I'm registered for the Aug 22 MCAT. Mt first MCAT was PS 6, BS 10, VR 11, T. My undergrad GPA is 3.9, BCPM is 3.7.

Should I retake? Should I cancel?

Will retaking mean that schools won't process my application until the 2nd set of scores comes in?

Probably (that 6 will hurt you). Probably not. Yes.

I have a similar situation. I'm registered for the Aug 22 MCAT. Mt first MCAT was PS 6, BS 10, VR 11, T. My undergrad GPA is 3.9, BCPM is 3.7.

Should I retake? Should I cancel?

Will retaking mean that schools won't process my application until the 2nd set of scores comes in?

That 6 will really hurt, especially since it's in a science section. I'd retake it and shoot for a more balanced score. A balanced 27 looks much better than an unbalanced one.

That 6 will really hurt, especially since it's in a science section. I'd retake it and shoot for a more balanced score. A balanced 27 looks much better than an unbalanced one.

While true, I think a 27 is going to hurt you pretty significantly (regardless of distribution) in this process. Despite your high GPA, which adcoms will view this as a consequence of grade inflation, I think you're better off shooting for a better score. Granted you may get some love from your state school (or DO schools), but unless you're bringing something else extraordiniary to the table (or you're an URM), I'd get your score up into the 30s.

My stats:
July 2007 MCAT: 26 R
August 2007 MCAT: 31 R
(currently registered for August 7th 2008 MCAT)

I second what everyone else has been saying. A 5 point increase is already pretty substantial, and the last thing you need is to retake and get another 26 (there are MANY threads of people who did a 3rd retake to improve an already adequate score and dropped significantly). You want ADCOMs to know that your jump to a 31 was because of your knowledge, not a fluke...and if your score dropped for any reason all signs would definitely point to fluke.

To those of you with less than a 29 who have not done a retake and improved, study hard and go for it. At that point, your chances are better of increasing your score than lowering it.

From looking at the 27-29 MCAT interview thread, the common theme is that those with low MCAT scores applied EARLY! You have a 31. Run with it and get everything in right away.

While true, I think a 27 is going to hurt you pretty significantly (regardless of distribution) in this process. Despite your high GPA, which adcoms will view this as a consequence of grade inflation, I think you're better off shooting for a better score. Granted you may get some love from your state school (or DO schools), but unless you're bringing something else extraordiniary to the table (or you're an URM), I'd get your score up into the 30s.

Agreed, I was merely trying to say that we've all heard of people getting in with a 27, but it's still a good idea to retake