August MCAT and applying...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

algae

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the April MCAT and did alright, but I am certain that I would better if I took it in again. I must also add that the admissions office of the school that I am most interested in said my scores were "very competitive", though I didn't think they were that great! I already submitted my application to AACOMAS, so would the schools I have applied to even consider my August scores or would they base their decision to accept/reject on the April scores? How does this work? Thanks for any insight! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations on getting a positive review of your scores. Unless your current GPA and MCAT scores do not meet most schools' criteria, you will get a secondary from the schools once your AACOMAS application is processed [except with NYCOM because they have no secondary until the interview, and except for schools giving preference to residents].

Since you already submitted your AACOMAS application, you may try to update it, if it has not yet been processed. (Judging by the other posts, it looks like AACOMAS is behind again this year). You should be able to indicate you plan to retake in August 2001.

If your AACOMAS grades have already been verified, and there is no way to update your profile thru AACOMAS, then you might send a letter to each admissions office, indicating that you plan to retake the MCAT in August. If you want the schools to hold off reviewing your application until they receive the August 2001 scores (in October), you can indicate that in the letter.

I would weigh the disadvantage of applying later in a rolling admissions cycle against how bad you think your current scores are. It sounds like your scores are not that bad, and you should at least get the secondaries filled out now.

I think each school may be different in their approach to reviewing applications without the scores. If your first scores meet their criteria for a secondary, they will send you a secondary as soon as AACOMAS processes the application. Once you submit your secondary, you will be considered for an interview. If you do not meet their cut-off criteria, I would think they might put you in a HOLD category until they see your August scores. (However, I have heard of allopathic schools sending out rejection letters before the August scores, rejecting despite "giving you the benefit of higher scores.") To confirm, look at each school's websites or call their admissions' office. Many schools list their cut-off criteria for a secondary on their websites.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Do you have to give in your letter of recommendation before you get your secondaries?

Originally posted by girldr:
•Do you have to give in your letter of recommendation before you get your secondaries?•

My advisor explicitly advised me against sending any letters of recommendation to schools until my secondaries are finished and sent in. He said he has seen situations where letters sent early (before the school has an official file for you) were lost much more often than letters sent after a file is established. I'm heeding his advice, you can use it or ignore it, your choice. Good luck either way. :)