August MCAT and interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RollTide

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone who took the August MCAT been offered interviews yet? I called AACOM yesterday and they have yet to mail my scores to the schools although they recieved my scores almost 2 weeks ago. Just wondering if anyone else is waiting patiently like myself for them to mail these scores.

-Joshua

Members don't see this ad.

Hang in there Josh. Just remember AACOMAS has at least 20,000 other applicants to process, including yours. They'll get mailed out soon. As soon as you recieve the report in the mail, the schools recieve it simultaneously.

------------------
DocGibby
MSUCOM class of 2004

I spoke with AACOMAS on 10/18/99, they said they had received the scores on 10/16 and that new reports would be sent to schools (and applicants?) in about 2 weeks. I'm not sure if there is any other way schools can get the scores?

No interview here yet either, Tide.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the Aug. MCAT last year. I didn't get my first interview until Feb. so hang in there...I know waiting is tough.

Tonem, you didn't get your first interview until February!? Holy smokes! That means I'll have to wait until the turn of the Millennium. Here's an honest question... do you believe that the schools offer the best students the interviews first after having a bulk of applications to process when the August MCAT scores arrive, or do they just invite qualified candidates as their applications are reviewed in order? And, if you wouldn't mind, where was your interview and with what statistics? Thank you in advance.
smile.gif
I'm just another nervous pre-med student waiting for correspondence (P.S. NYCOM is my school of interest).

Vegeta,

I'm not sure about other schools, but this is how MSUCOM does it (everyone else should be fairly similar).

At MSUCOM, they first take all the applications that they have and weed them out based on academic criteria only.

Taking those with scores which meet the minimal criteria, they are then evaluated and ranked. MSUCOM wants applicants that A)really want to go to MSUCOM, B)really want to be osteopaths (not MD wannabes) and C)have a good understanding of Osteopathic medicine and its principles.

Using A,B,C and academics, they give you a numerical ranking which determines your getting an interview. The higher the rank the sooner your interview. Since they are constantly recieving applications, the rankings can change every week. They make decisions on one day of the week (wednesday).

This is why it is more advantageous to apply early. When there's only 50 or so applications to review your ranking can't be any lower than 50. However, as the applications come pouring in around Nov and Dec, now your looking at a list that goes up to a 1000 or more.

Like I said, I doubt MSU is unique in their methods. I'm sure everyone else uses nearly the same system. I hope this sheds some light on the mystery of why some people get interviews and others don't. In the end it is purely a numbers game.

By the way, if your stats are good you should hear something well before Feb. A lot of times they'll schedual your interview a month in advance.

------------------
DocGibby
MSUCOM class of 2004

I think Gibby did a pretty good job of summarizing the process. The other characteristics an admissions committee might be looking for in a class (besides grades/MCATs) can change from year to year. If they decide that last year's class wasn't diverse enough, or old enough, or experienced enough etc...they will try to mold the incoming class to fit their (revised) ideal class make-up. That's why comparing yourself to people that were accepted in previous years might not give you an accurate expectation of your chances at various schools. I know waiting is difficult...especially when you keep seeing that others are getting multiple acceptances. Hang in there. When you do get interviews remember that the admissions committee has already decided that you are academically qualified....they want to meet you to see what you are as a person. So relax, be yourself, and try to enjoy the experience.