August MCAT /Application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whitefang21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a Non-trad applying to MD and DO this cycle. I work full time so in order to balance out mcat studying and work i am taking the august mcat. I know this late in the application cycle but what is the best way to approach this?

My-GPA -3.1,SGPA -3.0. I was a late starter in college so my last 2 years were spent bring up my GPA. As i get older i just want to get my medical education started already so i am willing to take the risk.

Any opinions will help or if anyone has done this. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi -

Hate to tell you this, but I don't think you should apply this year. There's too much competition with higher stats, and stats matter. An August MCAT against your GPA means it would be a waste of time and money to try to get an app together this year.

But there are certainly things you can do to get ready to apply in June 2013. I suggest visiting the postbac forum's low GPA thread for suggestions to improve your chances. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=125347

Best of luck to you.

'Fraid I must agree with Dr. Midlife. I took the August MCAT. I ended up
getting into one of my state schools, but my GPA was more in the 3.6-3.7 range. Honestly, I would even consider taking some more time to study for the MCAT, take it in April and hopefully have less stress overall.