• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

August MCAT /Application cycle

whitefang21

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2009
  1. Non-Student
    Hello,

I'm a Non-trad applying to MD and DO this cycle. I work full time so in order to balance out mcat studying and work i am taking the august mcat. I know this late in the application cycle but what is the best way to approach this?

My-GPA -3.1,SGPA -3.0. I was a late starter in college so my last 2 years were spent bring up my GPA. As i get older i just want to get my medical education started already so i am willing to take the risk.

Any opinions will help or if anyone has done this. Thanks :)

DrMidlife

has an opinion
    10+ Year Member
    Oct 31, 2006
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      Hi -

Hate to tell you this, but I don't think you should apply this year. There's too much competition with higher stats, and stats matter. An August MCAT against your GPA means it would be a waste of time and money to try to get an app together this year.

But there are certainly things you can do to get ready to apply in June 2013. I suggest visiting the postbac forum's low GPA thread for suggestions to improve your chances. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=125347

Best of luck to you.

Deekle

7+ Year Member
      Dec 23, 2011
      Washington, IL
      1. Medical Student
        'Fraid I must agree with Dr. Midlife. I took the August MCAT. I ended up
        getting into one of my state schools, but my GPA was more in the 3.6-3.7 range. Honestly, I would even consider taking some more time to study for the MCAT, take it in April and hopefully have less stress overall.

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
        Lifetime Donor
        10+ Year Member
        Jul 26, 2009
        The Big Bad Apple
        1. Non-Student
          As i get older i just want to get my medical education started already so i am willing to take the risk.

Is your goal to get into medical school or to get into medical school quickly?

Having below average stats, taking a late MCAT and applying late in the cycle, are factors that work against you. Typically a successful late application is someone who has a good GPA but needed to squeeze in a prereq in the summer, was working in a lab or summer position where a great LOR would be written, etc. Occasionally I see a good student who just wanted to repeat the MCAT after a less than great score from May or June.

My observation from dealing with students who ask for assistance late in the cycle is their applications tend to read rushed, incomplete, disjointed, half-assed and, dare I say, desperate, probably on a 3:1 ratio.

With a weak GPA, you need a strong, MCAT and an early cycle submission of your application with a concise, coherent, and compelling narrative showing strong motivation, commitment and achievement.

I suggest you consider waiting a cycle to improve your chances

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.