Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.

August Mcat Disadvantage?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by afilerman, Aug 19, 2002.

1. afilerman

afilerman Junior Member

Can anyone give me an honest assessment of how much a disadvantage August MCAT'ers are in the applications process? Thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches
    Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    Probably very substantial. I mean, you guys wil be getting your MCAT scores in, what, mid october? Compound this with the inherent slowness of AMCAS. The most prudent of us april test takers will have finished all their supplementals by then, and some might have interviewed by then. Honestly, my inclination would be to say, while not total, august mcats will hinder your application considerably.

Basically, have as much done as you can before the scores get back, definitely pay the extra 15 bucks to view them online early, and be ready to pay for express mail. It seems like every day counts in applying. good luck

4. afilerman

afilerman Junior Member

Ugh. So much for the bad news. It's makes one wonder why they offer an August MCAT at all if the reality is your chances of admission are considerably reduced. Doesn't make much sense. Oh well, I will keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for your reply.

5. lola

lola Bovine Member

it will hinder us i'm afraid, but how much probably depends on a particular schools. for schools that screen and will not send a secondary until after they get your scores, we are probably at a significant disadvantage. most schools are giving out secondaries without mcat scores, so at those schools i figure we're only at a slight disadvantage (as long as we get our apps in early).

6. afilerman

afilerman Junior Member

Let's not forget schools that don't do rolling admissions, of which there are a few (USC, Columbia).

7. Lactic Folly

Lactic Folly Inedible Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I wrote last Saturday, but am not applying until next summer.. August MCAT means more time to prepare :) But then again, I'm in Canada.

8. SuzyQ

SuzyQ Senior Member

Lactic Folly...I love your avatar!!

Oh and as for August MCATers being at a disadvantage....yeah I guess they are to some extent. I took the April MCAT (and retook it this past saturday) and I sent in my primary already and applied to 10 schools and have received 9 secondaries back thus far. Im planning on sending in everything within the next two weeks so even though they probably wont send me an invitation for an interview until they see my new scores, I still think its pretty early and wont hinder my chances. Im hoping so at least.

9. Lactic Folly

Lactic Folly Inedible Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hehe, thanks SuzyQ. As a matter of fact, my MCAT lunch consisted mainly of banana-y goodness.

10. Jugador75

Jugador75 Senior Member

My friend Nick has an interesting theory about this. I am not saying I necessarily agree with it, but here?s how it goes. Fact #1: The April people are, on AVERAGE, a more competitive and more intelligent group than the August group. Fact #2: Most med schools probably look at two distinct pools of applicants ? those who took the April test and get their app. in early, and those who took it in august. So although you are certainly at a disadvantage taking the August, it might not be all that bad if you are a relatively competitive applicant. In other words, if you take the test in august and apply late, you will be considered relative to a less competitive applicant pool.

That?s the idea.

11. SouthernGirl

SouthernGirl Senior Member

I'm not so sure that that makes perfect sense. Let's imagine that you have all of your file complete except for the Aug. MCAT scores, which let's say will be sent out in mid-Oct. I'm sure that many folks who took the April MCAT (but weren't quite as on-the-ball completing AMCAS and filling out secondaries, but still have great stats etc.) will be just now getting in all of their stuff. And it seems like most schools, more or less, consider applications as they receive them. Does that makes sense?
    Also, the test scores are standardized so that neither one will provide any sort of unfair advantage to those who take one over the other. (At least this is my understanding, and it seems only fair) Plus, think about those overachieving sophomores who just finished all their pre-med requirements and took the test with the knowledge fresh in their minds!
    I guess the most important thing now is to have AMCAS submitted ASAP, get your rec letters in, and fill out secondaries as you get them, so that all your file is waiting on is the August scores. :)