Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

August MCAT?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Dr. N, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Dr. N

Dr. N Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I am sure that many premed students are in the same position as I am right now. I will be taking MCAT this August, and apply for 2005 year. I need advice on when should I submit my application. Should I do it as soon as possible, and then my MCAT scores will be released to schools, or I have to wait till my scores are available and then submit application? And also I heard that I might be in disadvantage because of August MCAT. Is this true?

2. UseUrHeadFred

UseUrHeadFred Oh no! It's a Wumpus!
    5+ Year Member

Do the AMCAS as soon as it becomes available. The MCAT scores should be your time limiting factor.

As far as being at a disadvantage, you aren't. I would guess around half of all med school matriculants took the August test. BUT, you have lost the advantage of having an early application. So, you'll be on equal footing, not behind, not ahead, so long as you get your app in and your MCAT scores released.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Heal&Teach

Heal&Teach cogito ergo sum
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Fred is right. If you have everything in, there's still a possibility for you to see acceptances as early as December. I had to wait until late March for my first, but that was b/c I didn't have everything complete until late September, and wasn't verified by AMCAS until mid-November (first interviews in February).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. perambulate

perambulate Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree with the previous posters. I was in your exact situation last year. I took the August MCAT, but I submitted the AMCAS application within a week of it becoming available (early June). Most of the secondaries rolled in over the summer while I was studying for the MCAT. I filled out most of the secondaries over the summer, but was careful not to get so distracted by them that it took time away from studying. As the previous poster said, your goal should be for your MCAT scores to be the last thing schools are waiting on. This means... (1) submit the AMCAS application (and required transcripts) as early as possible, (2) send in all secondaries and letters of recommendation over the summer and early fall (as time permits - don't let this become a distraction, your #1 priority is doing well on the MCAT); all of the secondaries should be in by the time your scores arrive, (3) before your scores arrive, call all the schools you submitted secondaries to and make sure that your application is complete (with the exception of your scores, of course).

I know this feels like a gamble. It certainly did for me. I was shelling out larges sums of money for the initial application, then for 20 secondaries... all before I had received my scores. I kept thinking - what if I bomb the MCAT?, then I've shelled out all this money for nothing... but you will be in fine shape if you apply early and end up doing well on the MCAT. I received my first acceptance in December and the rest came in Jan, Feb and March. Be forewarned - it's a long haul from start (AMCAS) to finish (getting in), and you have to be patient. I'm not saying that you can't get in to medical school if you take the August MCAT and submit the AMCAS application once you get your scores... but I know a lot of people who were very qualified who did this and ended up with late interviews and a lot of waitlists or rejections becauses classes were already filled. Good luck!