AUHS pharmacy school? Are you serious?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moissanite69

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
During work, one of my tech told me that her school AUHS is openning PharmD program. Here's the website:
http://www.auhs.edu/schools/sop/

I was like "Holy f*". Are you serious? This is only a vocational school with LVN and RNs undergrad programs. Plus, why do we even need another pharmacy school in Southern California where pharmacy job market is completely saturated!!

Members don't see this ad.

yeah what a sh*tty idea this is, goodluck trying to get rotation spots with USC, Western, LLU, UCSD, and UCSF with agreements in place in the region.

good thing i'll be like 5 years into practice when this **** show opens

I hope it gets shelved like Samuel Meritt's SOP in the bay area.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah what a sh*tty idea this is, goodluck trying to get rotation spots with USC, Western, LLU, UCSD, and UCSF with agreements in place in the region.

It is not too difficult when this school charges high tuition and use part of it to pay for rotation sites.

ACPE said "not so fast" to AUHS at their June Board meeting...
http://www.acpe-accredit.org/pdf/ReportofProceedingsJune2011.pdf

Say what you will about ACPE, but they put the brakes on a lot of budding programs this June:

South (TN): No advancement to pre-candidate status
Midway: Voluntarily withdrew application for pre-candidate status
AUHS: Site visit not authorized
Fairleigh Dickinson: Site visit not authorized
Marshall: Site visit not authorized

Of the eight programs aiming for pre-candidate status or site visit authorizations, only THREE (Cedarville, Manchester, South Florida) got them. That's less than a 40% success rate.

I'll leave it to y'all to speculate whether or not ACPE is getting tougher, or these programs just didn't have their stuff together.

ACPE said "not so fast" to AUHS at their June Board meeting...
http://www.acpe-accredit.org/pdf/ReportofProceedingsJune2011.pdf

Say what you will about ACPE, but they put the brakes on a lot of budding programs this June:

South (TN): No advancement to pre-candidate status
Midway: Voluntarily withdrew application for pre-candidate status
AUHS: Site visit not authorized
Fairleigh Dickinson: Site visit not authorized
Marshall: Site visit not authorized

Of the eight programs aiming for pre-candidate status or site visit authorizations, only THREE (Cedarville, Manchester, South Florida) got them. That's less than a 40% success rate.

I'll leave it to y'all to speculate whether or not ACPE is getting tougher, or these programs just didn't have their stuff together.

Going to go with the latter.........

If they are arbitrarily getting stricter, they better hope these colleges getting denied won't call the bluff...............

It is not too difficult when this school charges high tuition and use part of it to pay for rotation sites.

might not be too difficult in the 1st place, my friend's relatively new school pays less than the surrounding schools for spots and they managed to get plenty.

good thing i'll be like 5 years into practice when this **** show opens

I hope it gets shelved like Samuel Meritt's SOP in the bay area.

Why was Samuel Meritt's SOP shelved?

Also the pharmacy profession is getting trolled. :laugh:

They are going to fill their seats. They just need to get all the rejects of all the other California schools. They are watering down the profession.

http://www.accp.com/careers/onlinePositionListings.aspx?mode=view&id=39318
"
Founding Dean, Pharmacy Program
Position Start Date 02/01/2011
Application Deadline 01/31/2011
Salary 200,000 to 250,000
Position Type Academic Administrator

Position Description
Founding Dean, Pharmacy

West Coast University (WCU) has received approval from its Board of Trustees to begin a School of Pharmacy, and is now ready to develop a doctor of pharmacy (PharmD) program under the direction of a Founding Dean. This is an excellent opportunity to craft a teaching intensive school of pharmacy strongly connected to the University’s mission of embracing a student-centric learning partnership that leads to professional success. The new school of pharmacy will be based on WCU’s North Hollywood campus in Los Angeles, California and join nursing, dental hygiene and graduate programs in nursing and health care administration at the site. It is expected that an inaugural class of 65 will enroll in the Fall Term of 2013. The dean of pharmacy will report to the Provost of West Coast University on academic matters and to the campus Executive Director on administrative matters

A distinctive of West Coast University is to provide an innovative and challenging learning environment. As a teaching institution, the curriculum coupled with committed and accomplished faculty will prepare students to enter the pharmacy profession with the competence and confidence needed for professional success.

Responsibility:
Reporting to the University Provost and Campus Executive Director initial responsibilities will include: leading the ACPE accreditation process, beginning with application for precandidate status; recruitment of a leadership team and faculty ; designing a practice-oriented curriculum; overseeing renovations and construction of facilities for the pharmacy program; provision of leadership, direction and coordination in the development, interpretation, and implementation of pharmacy program policies and procedures. Ensures program compliance according to specific California Bureau of Consumer Affairs Board of Pharmacy Requirements and State licensing requirements; and establishing collaborative relationships, including sites for experiential placements, within the healthcare community of the Los Angeles metro area and the region.

Qualification:
•Terminal degree (e.g., PhD, EdD, JD, PharmD) from an accredited college or university which includes substantial course work in pharmacy, a pharmaceutical discipline, education and/or administration.
•If a pharmacist, currently hold or be eligible for California Pharmacist License.
•Minimum five years in an academic or administrative position with two (2) years in a senior level position in a higher education setting with increasing responsibilities in academic administration, and leadership within a regionally accredited institution in higher education.
•Five years experience teaching in licensure eligible pharmacy programs.
•Knowledge of education/governmental compliance and regulatory standards such as ACPE, ACICS, WASC, regional and other accreditation standards.
•Must have held previous leadership team administrative position (dean, associate dean, or assistant dean level, etc.) in an accredited school of pharmacy or a comparable leadership position outside academia.
•Participation on an ACPE site-visitor team(s), in site-visitor training or a pharmacy school/college self-study workshop offered by ACPE.

Applications/nominations must include a letter of interest, current curriculum vitae, and contact information for three (3) references. WCU will honor applicants’ confidentiality. The screening of applicants will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. A starting date in early 2011 is expected. Please send nominations and/or applications to [email protected] or contact Jin Choi at 714-415-6524 for additional information.

West Coast University is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we seek candidates who desire to work in and serve an ethnically-diverse population."

another one?

It does NOT offer a PharmD. Seriously.

http://www.auhs.edu/schools/sop/

"Pre-Pharmacy Degree Program
Bachelor of Science in Pharmaceutical Sciences
Starting September 26, 2011"

But it wants to:

The Pre-Pharmacy, Bachelors of Science in Pharmaceutical Sciences Program (BSPS), at the American University of Health Sciences provides a rigorous and interdisciplinary three-year degree program. The degree serves the role of a preparatory major for admissions into a professional curriculum leading to the Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) program at AUHS or other Schools of Pharmacy and Health Sciences. The BSPS program at AUHS ultimately prepares graduates for a career path in the Pharmaceutical Industry and the Healthcare Sector.

I know I saw that!!! But I was more just shocked that the webpage advertises its school of pharmacy when it currently is offering nothing but a *cough* worthless B.S!!!

I know I saw that!!! But I was more just shocked that the webpage advertises its school of pharmacy when it currently is offering nothing but a *cough* worthless B.S!!!

i think their goal is to get to underclassmen to pay 30-40K of tuition while they do this worthless BS degree by promising them that they will have a spot in their PhamD program. What stands out here aside from this being a complete joke and mockery of a doctorate program is that they applied for accreditation without having a dean in place.

I don't even wanna bother talking about new schools in CA, that topic has been discussed plenty.

If any of you are going to AUHS orientation on February 4, 2012' I want to warn you that this school is a fraud. They take $150 for the application and if you have the minmum qualification they will offer you an interview. When you go for the interview, they will require you to take a nonsense IQ test (wonderlic). They will inform you that without passing this test, you will not have an interview. If you want to waste your money and time you can try them, otherwise, i advice each one of you not to support their corrupted way of collecting money. Oh by the way, they only accept cash or money order which explains alot about their unethical intentions.

If any of you are going to AUHS orientation on February 4, 2012' I want to warn you that this school is a fraud. They take $150 for the application and if you have the minmum qualification they will offer you an interview. When you go for the interview, they will require you to take a nonsense IQ test (wonderlic). They will inform you that without passing this test, you will not have an interview. If you want to waste your money and time you can try them, otherwise, i advice each one of you not to support their corrupted way of collecting money. Oh by the way, they only accept cash or money order which explains alot about their unethical intentions.

Anyone else got any updates on this FOR-PROFIT school?

I am thinking they will absolutely get accredited, but the timeline is the question.
Southern California has close to 18 million people supposedly, so the waiting list to get in will be very long i think.

So I was going around looking for forums regarding this schoool and found this site. I have two things to say.

First, all PharmD schools require an application fee.
Second, if you think you have it in you to get into a PharmD program, you should be able to pass this exam (the Wonderlic test) with ease. So I'm assuming you didn't pass? Pathetic..

So I was going around looking for forums regarding this schoool and found this site. I have two things to say.

Second, if you think you have it in you to get into a PharmD program, you should be able to pass this exam (the Wonderlic test) with ease. So I'm assuming you didn't pass? Pathetic..

lol, i think the point is...what the hell kind of ******* school requires the wonderlick test?

you look at real schools like...berkeley, stanford, upenn, harvard....they don't require stupid sh.t like that. they require, you know, real tests and stuff. :laugh:

For PharmCAS, yes, not all of them have another fee on top of that. Where does that money go exactly?
Second, if you think you have it in you to get into a PharmD program, you should be able to pass this exam (the Wonderlic test) with ease.
But if you've already taken the PCAT and have good enough grades to get an interview, why bother with an IQ test? I can think of two possibilities. The first is that they grant everybody an interview, deserved or not, and just use this to make sure they don't get anyone who is superbly idiotic. The second is that they are creating an illusion that they are a tough program so you need to be really smart, but they are actually just wasting your time.

As much as I hate the school and think that they are destroying pharmacy and anyone who is associated with them should be ashamed, I can not bash them for doing the IQ test. I think it's unusual, but it doesn't hurt anyone.

Just thinking what 220 more new pharmacists a year coming from this long beach school and north hollywood school will do in the la job market is fricking scary. sigh... I look for wages to drop to 40 bucks an hr soon in the next 5 yrs.

As much as I hate the school and think that they are destroying pharmacy and anyone who is associated with them should be ashamed, I can not bash them for doing the IQ test. I think it's unusual, but it doesn't hurt anyone.

Just thinking what 220 more new pharmacists a year coming from this long beach school and north hollywood school will do in the la job market is fricking scary. sigh... I look for wages to drop to 40 bucks an hr soon in the next 5 yrs.

220? that probably won't happen for years and years....more like 70-90 a year for the 1st 4 years.