Austin Psych program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychout

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Any information about this program. There was a poster here who talked about it a couple of months ago....I really would love to go there.

I am a CA1 at a pretty good anesthesia program in the southeast, and want to switch. USMD, decent step scores, no blemishes on record. Would be great to switch as PGY2 into the program.

I interviewed there and was very impressed with the program. It is a new program, and the older residents didn't seem to be top-notch, but the first year class seemed to be excellent. There are no FMGs. It's pretty small, but the PD and chair work very closely with the residents. I think they said their PRITE scores were in the 90th percentile. The reason I did not rank it higher was because it is not yet academically affiliated. It was supposed to become part of UTMB, but now they are wanting to create a medical school in Austin directly under UT. They do have research going on. Fourth year electives are heavily focused on outpatient experiences with private psychiatrists. From what I've heard, nearly all of the non-government employed psychiatrists in Austin accept cash only, and they do very well. If you want to practice in Austin, then the program is great. I wasn't sure I wanted to do that, and the name would not be known in my area. The psych hospital is pretty dumpy, but it is on a nice creek with a bike trail, so you could easily bike from downtown daily. Austin is a great city.