Austin, Texas PM&R program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

40YardDash

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard a rumor that there is a PM&R residency program opening up in Austin, Texas. Not sure if it' through UT galveston (UTMB) or UT Southwestern.... I think it's through Brackenridge Seton hospital. Anyone have any info on this? Appreciate the replies

Members don't see this ad.

met the guy who is gonna be the program director.

He said it will be in the UT southwestern system; but it likely won't be taking applications until at least 2012 and it will be a 3 year program so no residents would be there until 2014.

Dr. Chris Garrison is slated to be the program director. They will be accepting applications in 2012 for July 2012 start outside of the match if all goes as planned. If I remember, I think it is 2 spots per year. The ACGME paperwork has already been filed. It will be through the UTSW system with majority of time spent within the Seton-brackenridge system. Word is that they are building a new stand-alone rehab unit but not sure about progress there. There are already some faculty members in place or en route to start.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Chris Garrison is slated to be the program director. They will be accepting applications in 2012 for July 2012 start outside of the match if all goes as planned. If I remember, I think it is 2 spots per year. The ACGME paperwork has already been filed. It will be through the UTSW system with majority of time spent within the Seton-brackenridge system. Word is that they are building a new stand-alone rehab unit but not sure about progress there. There are already some faculty members in place or en route to start.

thanks axm397. ok, im a little confused... so they will accept applications in 2012 for july of 2012? outside of the match? how does that work? If im applying this coming up fall of 2011 for the 2012 match, would I have a chance to apply for this program or im i going to be too early? thanks for the replies

I had the exact same question when I was speaking with Dr. Garrison, and he was very vague with his answers, mostly just saying that as of right then (5/13) they were not taking applications, but that he hoped they would be soon.

I don't know if soon means this summer/fall/winter/next year....

If anyone could clarify I would appreciate it; I am starting my fourth year, will be applying all over the country, but I am a texas boy with a wife who has family in austin.

Thanks again for all the info so far.

I had the exact same question when I was speaking with Dr. Garrison, and he was very vague with his answers, mostly just saying that as of right then (5/13) they were not taking applications, but that he hoped they would be soon.

I don't know if soon means this summer/fall/winter/next year....

If anyone could clarify I would appreciate it; I am starting my fourth year, will be applying all over the country, but I am a texas boy with a wife who has family in austin.

Thanks again for all the info so far.

when did u get to speak with Dr. Garrison? are u doing a rotation under him? I'm from austin too. Maybe we can take those 2 spots eh! ;)

I went to the TMA conference in Houston last weekend. I'm at A&M in college station and we don't have much exposure to PM&R so I took a few days off mostly to do some personal networking.

It was there that I met Dr. Garrison, before his CME lecture; I was asking him for his thoughts about the programs in TX and he mentioned that he was getting one in Austin.

And taking the spots in Austin sounds pretty sweet!:)

I went to the TMA conference in Houston last weekend. I'm at A&M in college station and we don't have much exposure to PM&R so I took a few days off mostly to do some personal networking.

It was there that I met Dr. Garrison, before his CME lecture; I was asking him for his thoughts about the programs in TX and he mentioned that he was getting one in Austin.

And taking the spots in Austin sounds pretty sweet!:)

Scott and White is in the works as well for a new TX program, a little further out though

it wasn't clear to me either but basically, they have the option of taking PGY2s to start July 2012 (so need to have completed intern year already) outside of the match.

So if I'm wanting to apply for the program soon, does anyone know who I need to contact to find out if they will be accepting applications in time for me.