Australian Pharmacy article I found

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1ive2die

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wowza!

Well, when I graduate pharmacy school in 2013, I will be 33 years old with an astronomical student loan debt........

Option 1: medical school/dental school........the idea of being damn near 60 before i make any substantial income puts a sour taste in my mouth!

Option 2: Drug representative = maybe

Option 3: Miner....h311 NO!

Option 4: start own business.......i would love that

Option5: collect unemployment.....well, didn't Congress or Senate come pretty darn close to not extending unemployment benefits not too long ago?

Some posters on this board have said that if you are a pharmacist already or close to graduating pharmacy school....you will be somewhat fine....but by 2016-2020, if you are thinking of going into pharmacy school.....look for another career......I heard about the situation in Australia.....it is sad.....that's why it's always good to have a SHTF plan in the works.

I have often been curious about international pharmacies. So the Aussies have the same probs as us?

The British pharmacies are under the National Health Care system where prices are set in stone, so little third-party care.

Members don't see this ad :)
I counted 18 pharmacy schools and a population of 22 million there...

I counted 18 pharmacy schools and a population of 22 million there...

That is not very much information. How big are the classes? How competitive is the job market?

A much more relavent statistic might be the number of pharmacists vs total population.

Wowza!

Well, when I graduate pharmacy school in 2013, I will be 33 years old with an astronomical student loan debt........

Option 1: medical school/dental school........the idea of being damn near 60 before i make any substantial income puts a sour taste in my mouth!

Option 2: Drug representative = maybe

Option 3: Miner....h311 NO!

Option 4: start own business.......i would love that

Option5: collect unemployment.....well, didn't Congress or Senate come pretty darn close to not extending unemployment benefits not too long ago?

Some posters on this board have said that if you are a pharmacist already or close to graduating pharmacy school....you will be somewhat fine....but by 2016-2020, if you are thinking of going into pharmacy school.....look for another career......I heard about the situation in Australia.....it is sad.....that's why it's always good to have a SHTF plan in the works.

option 5: lol, don't you need a job FIRST, then get made redundant, BEFORE collecting unemployment?

option 2: goodluck, if you've been reading about pharm, you know it's going to be like 5-10 years of belt tightening and cost cutting.

That is not very much information. How big are the classes? How competitive is the job market?

A much more relavent statistic might be the number of pharmacists vs total population.
Class sizes about the same range as in the US, average about 120. Impressions from the blog are that the job market is in the trash. At least 25,000 pharmacists according to the Pharmaceutical Society of Australia.

Class sizes about the same range as in the US, average about 120. Impressions from the blog are that the job market is in the trash. At least 25,000 pharmacists according to the Pharmaceutical Society of Australia.

Just wait till all those unemployed Aussie pharmacists take up residence in the US or Canada.