Autopsies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gene_

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
With the change in requirement for autopsies, we have started having 2 residents share each autopsy equally. This has been a lot less efficient than the old system of primary and secondary residents. I think it would be possible to "share equally", but still have primaries responsible for getting the thing signed out and a secondary who basically helps with the dissection and reviews the final report. We don't have mega numbers of autopsies at our hospital. How does your program handle "equal" sharing of autopsy duties?

Members don't see this ad.

With the change in requirement for autopsies, we have started having 2 residents share each autopsy equally. This has been a lot less efficient than the old system of primary and secondary residents. I think it would be possible to "share equally", but still have primaries responsible for getting the thing signed out and a secondary who basically helps with the dissection and reviews the final report. We don't have mega numbers of autopsies at our hospital. How does your program handle "equal" sharing of autopsy duties?

??? how could having 2 residents be A LOT less efficient?

At my program, the 2 residents equally partake in the joy that is called dissection, photographs, cutting in the case, clean up, etc.

The primary writes the report and signs out the case. The secondary puts in their duty by helping out with the duties stated above. (Depending on the secondary, they usually are there to see if all is cool with the report as you have said above. As always, there are secondaries that one should avoid.)

What more could you want in a shared autopsy? All my shared cases have taken half the time...go figure.

Has the requirement changed from 50?

Members don't see this ad :)
??? how could having 2 residents be A LOT less efficient?

At my program, the 2 residents equally partake in the joy that is called dissection, photographs, cutting in the case, clean up, etc.

The primary writes the report and signs out the case. The secondary puts in their duty by helping out with the duties stated above. (Depending on the secondary, they usually are there to see if all is cool with the report as you have said above. As always, there are secondaries that one should avoid.)

What more could you want in a shared autopsy? All my shared cases have taken half the time...go figure.

You have accurately described the way we USED to do it. To comply with current guidelines there are no longer primaries and secondaries. The new autopsy guidelines read something like "autopsies can be shared by two residents, but both residents must equally take part in all aspects of the autopsy (this includes the writeup)."

Judging from the lack of responses, my program must be the only rigidly sticking to the new requirements.

The number is still 50.

We don't share autopsies at my program, with the exception of cases where the resident on neuropathology takes care of the brain, and the resident on autopsy takes care of the rest of the body. We get enough autopsies at our hospital that sharing isn't necessary to get our numbers.