Availability of "No-call, outpatient surgery" or part time jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joshmir

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to get some thoughts on something that has been worrying me recently after having matched into gas.

In reference to these jobs in outpatient surgicenters, where you are 8-4, M-F with no weekends and really no call, it seems like *everybody* I meet going into gas wants one. Either that, or they seem to want to work part time, ie 4 days a week, or 7-days-on-7-days-off type jobs...and in private practice, not academic.

Does anybody have a real handle on their availability in non-physician shortage areas where supply-demand is less in the job-seekers favor? Also, for those starting residency, like myself, the supply-demand thing will be less in our favor 4 years from now. I feel like if I want to live in place like NYC, miami, SF I will be SOL, or will take a big pay cut.

I don't think Locums are a viable solution...I imagine there's an ease to things that you lose if you're in different hospitals all the time.

Looking on gaswork.com yields hardly anything that fits the bill...there are a lot of locums, but very few private practice jobs in these categories in popular areas to live.

Graduating residents I've spoken with say they have found that these are getting harder and harder to find outside academia. Attendings say "Why would they want someone part time when they can have someone full time?" (ie, issues with benefits, scheduling, group malpractice rates, etc) One attending said the M-F, 8-4 no call jobs go to those who were around when the outpatient surgicenter was getting started in the first place. I saw a post on gaswork that listed the quote "very real possibility" of getting into a group that works this schedule in NYC as a perk of taking their call-requiring job.

I guess the next step is to call headhunters to get their perpective, which I will start doing. I invite others who share this concern to do the same and post their results here.

I also request those with dissenting opinions, especially residents and attendings, to please post their opinions here, I would love to hear that these jobs are available and prevalent in non-shortage areas and *how* somebody knows this.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

A couple in my program who are seniors said that she had an easier time getting a part time position because they were coming from an excellent program and she knew a lot of regional. She said that she used being strong in regional as a selling point for herself. I guess with regional she could bill at a high level that made it pay off for them to have her part time at a good salary. Also, I have heard that some placees may need more providers in the morning, but not need everyone in the afternoon. This may open up work for part time spots, although I personally have no experience with any of this.

To add to this, is it possible to job-share? Isn't this essentially a full-time job shared by two people, making it a part-time job for each and splitting the salary b/w the two...possible???? Just an idea!

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I'm the only one worried about this :(

(Where my killa bees at?)

I think that joshmire is really addressing some interesting questions regarding jobs in anesthesia, especially at outpatient surgery centers. I don't know if anyone has looked on gaswork.com lately but I was kind of amazed at the number of locum tenum positions being offered versus permanent positions for anesthesiologists. I was also amazed by the high number of permanent CRNA positions available with salaries in the 170-180's all over the country (and in big cities, not just rural America). As someone who will be starting their residency in anesthesia, I would also be interested to hear perspectives from senior residents/fellows in regard to the current employment opportunities for anesthesiologists.

Thanks

good question. i was wondering the same thing regarding part time jobs or jobs with NO CALL.