Available Sites for NHSC Scholars?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

La Fiera

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I've just been offered the scholarship in return for 2 years commitment as a physician. The problem is, I heard that since the Clinton administration determined to cut (yes cut) funding to such programs, a lot of the sites that are on the NHSC website are not truly places I could work at, and I might have a hard time finding a site to work at. Does anyone know anything about this? I've been trying to contact current scholars to find out the likelyhood of the situatuation.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

La Fiera said:
Hello,
...a lot of the sites that are on the NHSC website are not truly places I could work at, and I might have a hard time finding a site to work at.

Do you mean the sites don't actually exist or you would not want to work at those sites? If the former, I think you might be mistaken. If you do a search here I think you'll find a lot of sites that have been added since the beginning of August.

If the latter, then perhaps the program is not suited to you. I don't think you have any choice but to choose one of these places to work. Or, see if you can find a place of your liking that might be eligible to take a scholar but they'd have to get all their paperwork prepared, submitted, and accepted before you could begin. Good luck...

with that link...make sure to change the third box down (type of opportunity) to opportunities for scholars...
a good way to judge if those sites are still available might be to contact them...i've never done it but i imagine they wouldn't be upset if you checked.
i have spoken with some docs that did their residencies where the wanted to end up...as they got closer to finishing residency they had the area apply to be on the underserved list so they could stay there...according to the docs it wasn't too big of a deal

Members don't see this ad :)
The woman I spoke to said that DESPITE what was offered on the web site specifically for NHSC scholars, that the sites had to apply for government funding and nothing (openings) was guarenteed. In other words, you could apply to work in a place you found on the website, and later find out that they couldn't pay you because it's up to the government to find the money in the end. This woman (an FP) said that at least 2 years ago they had that problem and she knew of 2 scholars who had difficulty finding placement, one didn't find placement up until 1 month before she graduated her residency. I am working on finding out more about it. I contacted 13 sites to see if they actually had spots for scholars and if they could pay them. So far 3 have written back and it sounds promising.
I'd rather hear about these problems now so at least I know of potential problems!
If anyone has any more info, please pass it on!
Thanks

they couldn't pay you because it's up to the government to find the money in the end
i've always been under the impression that the site (if it is private) is the one who will pay you, not the government...
i also heard from NP's that the NP program has had it's share of ups and downs (as opposed to physician)