Average ACT score, but high OAT score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreOptMegs

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here got a decent ACT score, but did fairly well on the OAT.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Most schools don't even ask for your ACT scores. But in the case of MCO, they did. And like you, I had a low ACT score but a 340 OAT AA and 360 OAT TS. They asked me about my low ACT score and I just told them I hadn't studied for it and standardized tests weren't my forte.
So I wouldn't worry too much about it. The ACTs don't measure what you learned in college and don't relate much to optometry, but the OATs do.

Ning-Ju

Ning said:
Hi,

Most schools don't even ask for your ACT scores. But in the case of MCO, they did. And like you, I had a low ACT score but a 340 OAT AA and 360 OAT TS. They asked me about my low ACT score and I just told them I hadn't studied for it and standardized tests weren't my forte.
So I wouldn't worry too much about it. The ACTs don't measure what you learned in college and don't relate much to optometry, but the OATs do.

Ning-Ju

Thank you for your input... It gives me some peace of mind because I am doing really well in undergrad right now and working my tail off, so I am sure I will do well enough on the OAT. If you don't mind me asking, what did you get on the ACT? You schooled the OAT!!! Congrats

I got in to SCO and UAB, and I don't even know what an ACT is exactly. :confused:

Isn't that something people take in highschool? I may be thinking of something else.