Average age of MSTP matriculants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Plasmodel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I was just wondering (I couldn't find any info online) about the average age of matriculants at MSTP programs? Generally, I think people take at most two years after one's bachelor's degrees to enroll in such a program. So, would say taking three years off after MSTP affect your chances negatively? (granted you were doing research during that time?)

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like I've seen that it's around 23. Don't some schools give these numbers on their websites, or is that just for MD?

I'd agree that average age is of matriculation is within a couple years of graduating college, but waiting 3 years shouldn't be an issue long as you are doing something productive (preferably research). Lots of people take a year or two off between undergrad and the MD/PhD program--I would estimate one third to half have taken a year or more off.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen people straight out of college, one year out, two years out, and three years out. As long as you are doing something productive during that time you should be alright. The only thing to watch out for is if you have taken the MCAT your score may not be viable in 3+ years and you may need to retake.

There's a lot of variation. It seems like at my place the average is that people have taken an extra year beyond college to do some kind of research. ~1/3 of us came straight from college

Of my class, 1/3 are directly out of college, 1/3 took two years, and 1/3 took either 1 year or 3 years.