Average DAT & Average GPA Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TempuraShrimp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if we could have a thread for itnerviews :), acceptances :), and rejections :mad: for people with average stats. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the average GPA and average DAT for an average dental school would be 3.2-3.4 GPA and a 19-20 DAT AA/TS/PAT ? I'm actually right in that ballpark, and could use some encouragement and updates from others in the same boat~

Many thanks, and good luck to all my fellow brethren in this application cycle :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
id say avg GPA more like 3.3-3.6, DAT 19-20.

lol...woops.. if this is the case.. I guess the better question would be: Has anyone with a below average GPA 3.2-3.3 and an average 19-20 DAT AA/TS/PAT landed any interviews yet?

Feeling a bit anxious now.. all this....waiting...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi~ So.. I have a avg DAT 19 AA 19 TS..
Also, my GPA recently has been high (last two years 3.7 science, 3.7 overall) but have a very low undergrad GPA of 3.0.

So.. This thread would be awesome for me! I'm also getting really anxious and worried, haven't gotten replies yet.

This may be a good idea! Thanks to OP.

nice thread.

I definitely will be checking back on this thread.. my ogpa is 3.33 and I take my DAT this upcoming monday (8/13).. hopefully I can ace the exam so schools will "overlook" my low gpa...

What about those of us below avg? We need all the support and good karma we can get our hands on...and calling in some favors doesnt hurt either!

Just got my GPA verified, and I'm right there with you all, oGPA 3.3, sGPA 3.4, BCP 3.4. My DAT scores are above average, but my application is going in late (going out this Friday but still missing LOE's), and I am sweatin' it. Too old to do this again next year. :oops: I'm spending way too much time on this site when I should be working.

19 AA / 19 TS / 19 PAT and I've landed one interview so far. oGPA: ~3.7 sGPA: 3.6

Don't be discouraged by a lot of people on this website...most applicants aren't like sdn dwellers.

20AA/20TS/21PAT oGPA 3.3 sGPA 3.3 - 1 interview as well...Masters 3.95+ I believe is the only reason why!

I have average stats (3.3~ and 18-20 DAT) and I have three interviews so far.

It's POSSIBLE!

Keep your heads in the game, you never know when you're going to see that email that says "CONGRATS!"

Unless of course you see the email from Western which says:

"Good News! Your application has been processed and sent to the College of Dental Medicine Admissions Committee for review. Should you be selected for an interview, we will contact you via phone or email to schedule a convenient interview date. We will provide further details at that time."

When I read, "Good News!" I nearly threw up out of excitement... then I realized that it was not an interview invite.

haha!

Reactions: 4 users

It's POSSIBLE!

Keep your heads in the game, you never know when you're going to see that email that says "CONGRATS!"

"Good News! Your application has been processed and sent to the College of Dental Medicine Admissions Committee for review. Should you be selected for an interview, we will contact you via phone or email to schedule a convenient interview date. We will provide further details at that time."

When I read, "Good News!" I nearly threw up out of excitement... then I realized that it was not an interview invite.

haha!

Ugh, such a tease!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not applying this cycle, but with a current GPA of around 3.30 for both science and non-science I'm looking at applying with very average stats too. The DAT is still a possible game changer, however, as I plan to take in March. Hopefully, my scores will be all above 20.

I wish all you very good luck!

Bleck and iacebwek~~

yea~~ also interested where you got an interview and whether your state residency was at all helpful?

It's POSSIBLE!

haha!

Thats' good to hear man!! May I ask if you are a URM? lol

HAY GUYZ. I guess belong here because of my horrifying 3.16 overall GPA. I'm poor and could only apply to 4 schools. Only one of them has started giving out interviews and they were quick to NOT GIVE ME ONE so I just want to drown my sadness in a bucket of KFC right about now.

HAY GUYZ. I guess belong here because of my horrifying 3.16 overall GPA. I'm poor and could only apply to 4 schools. Only one of them has started giving out interviews and they were quick to NOT GIVE ME ONE so I just want to drown my sadness in a bucket of KFC right about now.

i'm right there with you. family meal all to myself (including the chocolate cake)

I have stats very similar to yours. Which schools did you apply to and where did you get your first interview? Also what batch were you. I am in the 6th batch and applied to 9 schools. My DAT will be posted this Friday.
I got my interview at Baylor...I was in the 1st batch. I also applied to 9. Besides the Texas schools, they're scattered all over the country.

Thats' good to hear man!! May I ask if you are a URM? lol

Wow...

No, I am not a "URM". However, I am a re applicant, completed my master's degree with a high GPA and I have 600+ hours of shadowing.

My friend that IS a URM has only received one interview which he is really grateful for. Being a minority is by NO MEANS a ticket into dental school.

We all sit on SDN hoping to find a way to get into dental school even if we have average stats.... and whenever there is a story of someone who is doing it, there is always one person who assumes that they have some "in" (i.e. URM, military, child of admissions committee member, etc.)

regardless, it's an exciting time and I know this thread is going to be filled with awesome stories in the coming weeks!

GOOD LUCK everyone!

First time applicant, 3.6 Ogpa/3.42sci ..(18AA/19TS/21PAT) , 100 shadow/volunteer hours 300 hr E.C./community service....Applied to 10 schools Aug 1st, received all secondaries, hopefully (PRAYING) I hear something by the end of the month/September...

Let's cheer each other on w00t w00t! It's scary seeing all these people with 24+ DAT's and 40,000,000 shadow hours/community service:eek:.. What we lack in ridiculously superb GPAs/DATs I am sure we make up for in our personalities :D.

LOL agree, Anyways you should get some interviews assuming you are NOT shooting for PENN or harvard.

Wow...

No, I am not a "URM". However, I am a re applicant, completed my master's degree with a high GPA and I have 600+ hours of shadowing.

My friend that IS a URM has only received one interview which he is really grateful for. Being a minority is by NO MEANS a ticket into dental school.

We all sit on SDN hoping to find a way to get into dental school even if we have average stats.... and whenever there is a story of someone who is doing it, there is always one person who assumes that they have some "in" (i.e. URM, military, child of admissions committee member, etc.)

regardless, it's an exciting time and I know this thread is going to be filled with awesome stories in the coming weeks!

GOOD LUCK everyone!

Am a minority, I have worked as hard as most of you, or perhaps even harder. I have a 3.78 sgpa/3.6ogpa and a 21AA22TS. From the first day i started college I considered myself like most of you. Not all of us rely on such a "myth" I will get in because i worked hard for it, and very grateful to this country. SO thanks Blek! :thumbup:

We can do it guys!!!!!!!!!!!!! let's fill this thread with awesome news!

I'm definitely in this camp, Ogpa: 3.59 Sgpa: 3.51 BCP: 3.43 20AA20TS20PAT, so far no rejections org acceptances, but i'm in the 5th batch.

oGPA 3.43, sGPA 3.31 (with my 4.0 from a popular SMP)
oGPA 3.29, sGPA 3.08 (just undergrad)

DAT - 24AA/25TS/22PA

Haven't received an interview yet. :(

I put everything I had into my SMP and DAT, and if I don't get in this cycle I'm done. Life can only be put on pause for so long. Here's to hoping we all reach our dreams this time around.

Sorry but you DEFINITELY DO NOT belong here.

DAT - 24AA/25TS/22PA

I put everything I had into my SMP and DAT, and if I don't get in this cycle I'm done. Life can only be put on pause for so long. Here's to hoping we all reach our dreams this time around.
Wow, that's really discouraging. I'm assuming you applied early? With those scores, I have to believe someone will let you through the door. Do you think it's just the GPA??

I have a similar oGPA - 3.3, sGPA - 3.4, but my non-science GPA is only 2.9. I know it's not supposed to matter, but I'm afraid the low non-science will raise some eyebrows. I thought my DAT scores would help overlook the GPA, but at 23AA, 21TS, and 23PAT, I'm way behind you. Plus I'm applying late. Maybe my 28RC will help push me through?? :xf:

DAT - 24AA/25TS/22PA

Hey, It's still really early!

Don't give up hope!! Really. Your DAT should compensate for your GPA!

Seriously, if you scored above 20 you don't belong here. Hijack a different thread.

DAT - 24AA/25TS/22PA

exactly how i feel at this point

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Just got my score today: TS 19/ AA 20/ PAT 22. thirty min. ago

This is my second year applying. Last year i didn't get accepted at although went to 3 interviews :-( (TS 20 /AA 19/ PAT 16 )

I think I am going to retake DAT for the last time and then I will be done. I will figure something else to do with my life!!!!~ I am 27 now and I have put up with DAT and Application twice and I am burn-out!

But this is a great thread!~

Agree. Why are people comin here with 24AA. Unless ur gpa is below 3.0 them don't come here if u have a dat score like that

I didn't mean to offend anyone, I just figured I related more to this thread and its posters than either the "Sub 3.0" one or those individuals making the "tough decision" on whether to attend Harvard or UPenn. :oops:

I didn't mean to offend anyone, I just figured I related more to this thread and its posters than either the "Sub 3.0" one or those individuals making the "tough decision" on whether to attend Harvard or UPenn. :oops:

Lol good point but you don't belong here man

i have 19AA and 19TS and 21 PAT, 3.48 oGPA

any chance for me ?

pretty good chance I'll say! how are your extra currics?

I hold hope for all of us who have middle of the road stats. Just stay positive and keep your heads up. If you have great extracurricular acts. I am sure you will get interviews!

I have 19AA 20TS 22PAT
sGPA 3.4 bcpGPA 3.43 oGPA 3.35 :xf:

if not this yr than the next. patience and persistence. If dentistry is truly your passion then it will come in time. Good luck to all, as I believe there will always be those of higher qualifications that you, but you may be on that end of the stick the following cycle :).

The average dental school marticulant has a

19 TS 19 AA 19 PAT
with a 3.5 sGPA and overall GPA

At this point in the cycle I doubt anyone can improve their scores that much. Try not to worry about other peoples scores. At this point, just focus on rocking interviews.