• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

drox

10+ Year Member
May 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
I was wondering what the debt of a fresh grad off med school was. Any ideas?

diosa428

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Status (Visible)
Be careful when you look at what US News, or any of the schools report. This "average debt" includes the whole class - including people who have full scholarships or whose parents are paying for med school. So it is probably lower than what your debt will be, if you don't fall into one of those categories. A better estimate would look at the schools tuition and estimated living expenses and assume that you won't get any scholarship money.

About the Ads

squeaky

Hopeful
10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
:confused: Hmm...a lot of osteopathic schools at the top of the list. Any explanations?

TleilaxuMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2007
Status (Visible)
:confused: Hmm...a lot of osteopathic schools at the top of the list. Any explanations?
People who dont get into a "REAL" med school are desperate and will pretty much pay anything as it is a last ditch effort to be a semi-doc.

NonTradMed

Perpetual Student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2004
Somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
The average debt is suppose to be around $120k, although I'm not sure if that includes people on military scholarship and PhD/MD programs. I am one of the lucky few that will see a debt of less than $50k b/c I live at home and my parents are loaning me money for school (I am expected to pay them back in the future).

And DO schools are predominately private with fewer research/other sources of money so they charge more for their students' tuition. DO students, like MD students, mostly have to borrow to pay their tuition and living expenses. And no, they are not 'fake doctors'. :D

Towelie

Resident Towel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2006
Status (Visible)
Actually, according to US News, their debt figures are only for those who "incur medical school debt." This may include people with partial scholarships or who only have to pay for living expenses, but will not include those with all expenses paid.

BigKurz

10+ Year Member
May 22, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Actually, according to US News, their debt figures are only for those who "incur medical school debt." This may include people with partial scholarships or who only have to pay for living expenses, but will not include those with all expenses paid.

:thumbup:

Returnednds

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
Status (Visible)
how do the texas schools surpass the california ones? The cost of living in texas is much cheaper + way cheaper tuition. That makes no sense!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.