Average debt of a fresh med school grad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drox

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what the debt of a fresh grad off med school was. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Be careful when you look at what US News, or any of the schools report. This "average debt" includes the whole class - including people who have full scholarships or whose parents are paying for med school. So it is probably lower than what your debt will be, if you don't fall into one of those categories. A better estimate would look at the schools tuition and estimated living expenses and assume that you won't get any scholarship money.

Members don't see this ad :)
:confused: Hmm...a lot of osteopathic schools at the top of the list. Any explanations?

:confused: Hmm...a lot of osteopathic schools at the top of the list. Any explanations?
People who dont get into a "REAL" med school are desperate and will pretty much pay anything as it is a last ditch effort to be a semi-doc.

The average debt is suppose to be around $120k, although I'm not sure if that includes people on military scholarship and PhD/MD programs. I am one of the lucky few that will see a debt of less than $50k b/c I live at home and my parents are loaning me money for school (I am expected to pay them back in the future).

And DO schools are predominately private with fewer research/other sources of money so they charge more for their students' tuition. DO students, like MD students, mostly have to borrow to pay their tuition and living expenses. And no, they are not 'fake doctors'. :D

Actually, according to US News, their debt figures are only for those who "incur medical school debt." This may include people with partial scholarships or who only have to pay for living expenses, but will not include those with all expenses paid.

Actually, according to US News, their debt figures are only for those who "incur medical school debt." This may include people with partial scholarships or who only have to pay for living expenses, but will not include those with all expenses paid.

:thumbup:

how do the texas schools surpass the california ones? The cost of living in texas is much cheaper + way cheaper tuition. That makes no sense!