Average ER PA compensation per RVU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Diablo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what an average incentive bonus structure would look like for an experienced ER PA, in reference to RVU? I have 1 reference stating a bonus around $1.50 per RVU incentive on top of a base salary, but cannot find information elsewhere for comparision. Does anyone know where I could find some of this stuff? I'm coming up empty on search and even with Google. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

can't help you with rvu based salary but can tell you that the avg em pa in 2007 made around $94,600 per the aapa survey (http://physician-assistant.advanceweb.com/Editorial/Content/Editorial.aspx?cc=106689)
many made significantly more with a range(this is my guess) of around 65k for a new grad doing fast track only to > 200k for a senior em pa who works a bit of overtime and does everything including solo coverage of the dept(don't laugh- I don't make this but know 2 guys personally who do, 1 in my group.)
I can tell you that my bonus in 2007 worked out to around 14/hr working at a moderate pace, so probably an avg of 4-5 dollars/pt. averaged across all pts. and all shifts. day shift bonus probably averaged more like 25/hr but I work almost 1/2 nights which typically have a lower volume.
we don't use rvu's. we have a formula based on pts seen and avg acuity tied to charges, not collected $.

Oh I agree, the pay can be great, especially here in NC. My fear is that I do extremely well here and honestly shouldn't be leaving such a great position. But I'm ready for a change of scenery. My problem is that I have picked a place that has a higher cost of living, and I'm so nervous that what they offer me will be borderline insulting. I just have my fingers crossed. If they are anywhere near the national average then I can't complain, I just have this gut feeling that they won't ANYWHERE near it.