Average grades, below average MCAT. Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

steeps

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My question is what should I do? 3.6cgpa, 3.4sgpa, 3.9nsgpa. BA in biology, currently getting my MS in biology (will be finished in May). 2 MCAT tries--> 2nd was highest: 9PS,5VR,9BS (23).

Any thoughts are appreciated. I feel completely lost, still stunned by such awful MCAT scores. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My question is what should I do? 3.6cgpa, 3.4sgpa, 3.9nsgpa. BA in biology, currently getting my MS in biology (will be finished in May). 2 MCAT tries--> 2nd was highest: 9PS,5VR,9BS (23).

Any thoughts are appreciated. I feel completely lost, still stunned by such awful MCAT scores. Thanks!

How does your GPA breakdown come out with your undergrad and graduate programs? Your numbers look fine, just curious if you are pretty level across the board or if you have an upward trend.

Your MCAT is low and I think that the 5 in VR will either screen you out of most programs if not all programs. Your PS and BS scores are fantastic though and definitely in the range you want for applying.

I will never say its impossible and it is possible to get into a program, but is quite unlikely given that 5. Many programs will screen you out before you even get an honest review. I think your best choice and I know you might not like hearing this, is to retake the MCAT but focus strictly on improving that verbal score (Your PS and BS are both in a very good place!). Some people plateau over time, but there are strategies that you can practice to help improve each section.

If you can increase that verbal score 2 points (which is much easier to do at lower scores than higher numbers) then you will be in a good place with a 25 (Its still not perfect but definitely an obtainable goal for you so that you are not overwhelmed) and is competitive enough for many programs. You will also be able to apply without the fear of being automatically screened (Sometimes even a 6 or below in one section can be screened out at some schools). Also look into schools that take your highest composite score. Some will take the best VR, BS, and PS from different tests and put them together. I am unsure which schools these are though.

Also remember that applicants are not 100% stats. You are much more than the collection of your GPA and MCAT statistics. So focus on your extra curriculars. You do not need perfect stats to get into medical school. DO schools are incredibly holistic in their approach to selecting applicants, so focus on this. Also make sure you have a DO letter of recommendation going into this. There are plenty of applicants with much higher stats passed over because they are obviously applying to a DO program as a "backup". Show them that you are interested in their philosophy and they will take interest in you.

Good Luck!!

Your MCAT score is a little concerning. I know the verbal can be tough, and it is even tougher to improve, but it is also a really good indicator of your ability to read into given information, draw conclusions, and make inferences. I would really recommend taking the MCAT again, but try a different study strategy this time. If you didn't take a kaplan or princeton review type course, I would really recommend it. They provide a really formulaic way of approaching the verbal sections, that may really help you. Is there a chance English isn't your first language?

With the stats you currently have, you aren't necessarily excluded from DO schools, and in fact, with your MS and probably some good clinical volunteer, you may still be in the running for many schools.

However, I would likely agree with the above post. Your BS and PS scores on the MCAT are very competitive, and your low verbal score just means you have lots of room to improve. With only a 2-3 point increase in your verbal (which is totally feasible, even if verbal is something you struggle with), you will be a VERY VERY competitive applicant for DO. If you didn't allow yourself some time to dedicate completely to the MCAT, that can also be a factor. A good friend of mine scored brilliantly in her GPA, and had tons of EC's, but she was so busy with all of her school and EC's that she didn't have sufficient time to dedicate to the MCAT, and despite being really smart, was under-prepared for the exam both times she took it. It pays to take time off from those ECs if it means you have time to focus completely on MCAT prep.

The MCAT is a nasty beast, especially the verbal, but don't let it stand in your way of becoming a physican. Taking it a third time and bringing up that verbal score will show adcoms your ability to adapt, improve, and your persistence.

Members don't see this ad :)
How does your GPA breakdown come out with your undergrad and graduate programs?

My GPA freshman year was a 2.7 (may have been lower actually)...then soph-senior year I was 3.58, 3.70, 3.85. My sgpa increased significantly as well. Freshman year ruined me, I was just young and dumb, trying to adjust to life away from home. I have not received my grad stats yet, just started in August, but so far I am averaging A's in my classes...I expect to get all A's (hopefully no A-).

My MCAT the first time was 8VR, 7PS, 6BS...so I improved tremendously on PS and BS but then my VR went down...I thought the verbal was much more difficult this year, seemed like the passages were a lot longer than in 2012. I will look into see which schools take the best sections from each test.

Thanks for your feedback!

Your MCAT score is a little concerning. I know the verbal can be tough, and it is even tougher to improve, but it is also a really good indicator of your ability to read into given information, draw conclusions, and make inferences. I would really recommend taking the MCAT again, but try a different study strategy this time. If you didn't take a kaplan or princeton review type course, I would really recommend it. They provide a really formulaic way of approaching the verbal sections, that may really help you. Is there a chance English isn't your first language?

With the stats you currently have, you aren't necessarily excluded from DO schools, and in fact, with your MS and probably some good clinical volunteer, you may still be in the running for many schools.

However, I would likely agree with the above post. Your BS and PS scores on the MCAT are very competitive, and your low verbal score just means you have lots of room to improve. With only a 2-3 point increase in your verbal (which is totally feasible, even if verbal is something you struggle with), you will be a VERY VERY competitive applicant for DO. If you didn't allow yourself some time to dedicate completely to the MCAT, that can also be a factor. A good friend of mine scored brilliantly in her GPA, and had tons of EC's, but she was so busy with all of her school and EC's that she didn't have sufficient time to dedicate to the MCAT, and despite being really smart, was under-prepared for the exam both times she took it. It pays to take time off from those ECs if it means you have time to focus completely on MCAT prep.

The MCAT is a nasty beast, especially the verbal, but don't let it stand in your way of becoming a physican. Taking it a third time and bringing up that verbal score will show adcoms your ability to adapt, improve, and your persistence.
Unfortunately, I can't pull the English isn't my first language...born and raised here in the good ole' US of A. My verbal was always my strongest point, but this year I think I psyched myself out. The passages seemed so much more difficult than the year prior. I got an 8 in verbal my first time taking the exam.

you're grades are fine. you need to pull the mcat up at least 2-3 points and 1-2 points or else it will be really tough.

good luck op

You're FINE with 3.6/3.4/23. Apply to VCOM LUCOM CUSOM ACOM MUCOM WVSOM PCOM-GA WCU KYCOM PNWU LECOM-E SOMA KCOM and LMU and you should have multiple interviews!

you're fine with 3.6/3.4/23. Apply to vcom lucom cusom acom mucom wvsom pcom-ga wcu kycom pnwu lecom-e soma kcom and lmu and you should have multiple interviews!

+1