Medical Average/Low Stats and ECs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm currently working on my application for next cycle (Fall 2020 admission) but I'm worried that my application is too weak. My GPA and MCAT are pretty average but I really lack clinical hours (especially when I see people with 500+ hours). I didn't really feel set on applying to medical school until late last year, so I didn't get much clinical exposure in my undergraduate years.

How much will it hurt my application? Should I delay for a year?

Here's my info:
cGPA: 3.67 (downward trend, but might go up a little after this quarter with some easier classes). I attend a competitive state school and am in a challenging major (part of the reason for the GPA drop).
MCAT: 513 (128/128/128/129)
Residency: WA
Research:
Sept 2018-present: 400+ hours right now, will be 800+ by end of summer. No publication but will write a Departmental Honors thesis based on my work
Sept 2015-July 2016 (High School): 750+ hours. Paper in progress which is why I want to include it
Volunteering:
Local hospital: ~30 hours. Limited patient contact
Shadowing:
Primary Care: 15 hours
Trauma Surgery: 8 hours
Sports medicine: trying to get it set up now
ECs:
Sports club: 1000+ hours. 750+ in a leadership position.
Hi, and welcome to SDN.

I strongly encourage you to refrain from applying during the upcoming cycle. Future planned hours have no impact on admissions committees' decision-making. Your patient interaction experience is very weak. Your shadowing needs more hours. And I'm not seeing the critical element of nonmedical community service that helps those in need. These missing elements will seriously hurt your chances.

The thesis should be done because you want to or because it's required, not because you think it will benefit your application.

The positives are your research and leadership experience.

Can you further describe your downward grade trend? Perhaps you'd know your year-by-year GPAs?
What is your BCPM GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

You're going to need a gap year. You need to show that you really want to spend the next 40 years around sick people, and that you know what you're getting into.

You also need far more hours in service to others. Medicine is a service profession and we require evidence of your altruism.

And no more research.

I can't sugar coat this: my student interviewers would eat you alive with an app like this.
I'd like to see > 150 hrs clinical experience, > 150 hrs service, and ~50 hrs shadowing.

1) I thought that hours that I do in the next month can be added all the way up to the secondary, which is why I've included them.

2) I attribute the downward trend to starting one of the most competitive majors in my school and taking 3+ higher level STEM classes each quarter. Also, most quarters I took 15-18 credits. This quarter is the only quarter when I'm only taking 1 upper level STEM class, though I'm still taking the maximum course load before needing to pay extra tuition.

Cumulative GPA over time:
Year 1: 3.70/3.85/3.86 (Fall, Winter Spring)
Year 2: 3.85/3.85/3.76/3.74 (Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring)
Year 3: 3.74/3.71/3.68/___ (Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring)

3) BCPM GPA: 3.54 (counting only courses, not research)

4) Since I've completed all of my degree requirements, I'm going to be graduating and taking a gap year. Do you mean I should take a second gap year?
1) You can include all the hours up to the day you submit your application. Some Secondaries allow you to specifically discuss ongoing activities. Some schools accept Update Letters where you can share similar information at various times later in the cycle.

2) Your year-by-year cGPA trend does not concern me. Your overall GPA is good.

3) Why is your BCPM GPA on the lower side (for acceptees)? Is this due to recent lower science/math grades or grades earlier on in college?
If you took research classes that were BCPM, they are included in your GPA. Does that change things?

4) Yes, that's what we mean.

Can you explain why I should stop?
I've been doing research because I'm interested in our area of research and now I'm getting paid through it. The money is pretty important to me especially since I'll be graduating in a couple months and I'm getting a lot of pressure to move out.

A lot of my community involvement was with my sports club. As an officer, I helped make the club and sport more accessible to more people by lowering costs and providing more services. It's not really an underserved community (college kids) and isn't that critical (sports aren't life or death) but I still feel like it shows community involvement and dedication.

You have tons of research hours and very little volunteering. This telegraphs your priorities are on research and not on a lifetime of service to tohers, which is what a Career in medicine is all about. med schools don't want grad students.

What are you going to say when asked how you know you are suited for a life of caring for the sick and suffering? “That you just know”? Imagine how that will go over!

Frankly, this is not the application of a person who dearly wants to be a physician. It is the application of someone who wants to be a doctor as long as it doesn't interfere with research.

This may sound a little harsh, I would call it evidence that you chose to prioritize the short-term over the long-term, which is not a particularly appealing characteristic in a potential physician. You will simply get crowded out by applicants with stronger apps.

Here's the deal: You need to show AdComs that you know what you're getting into, and show off your altruistic, humanistic side. We need to know that you're going to like being around sick or injured people for the next 40 years.

Here's another way of looking at it: would you buy a new car without test driving it? Buy a new suit or dress without trying it on??

We're also not looking for merely for good medical students, we're looking for people who will make good doctors, and 4.0 GPA robots are a dime-a-dozen.

I've seen plenty of posts here from high GPA/high MCAT candidates who were rejected because they had little patient contact experience.

Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, nursing homes, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics.

Some types of volunteer activities are more appealing than others. Volunteering in a nice suburban hospital is all very well and good and all, but doesn't show that you're willing to dig in and get your hands dirty in the same way that working with the developmentally disabled (or homeless, the dying, or Alzheimers or mentally ill or elderly or ESL or domestic, rural impoverished) does. The uncomfortable situations are the ones that really demonstrate your altruism and get you 'brownie points'. Plus, they frankly teach you more -- they develop your compassion and humanity in ways comfortable situations can't.

Service need not be "unique". If you can alleviate suffering in your community through service to the poor, homeless, illiterate, fatherless, etc, you are meeting an otherwise unmet need and learning more about the lives of the people (or types of people) who will someday be your patients. Check out your local houses of worship for volunteer opportunities. The key thing is service to others less fortunate than you. And get off campus and out of your comfort zone!

Examples include: Habitat for Humanity, Ronald McDonald House, Humane Society, crisis hotlines, soup kitchen, food pantry, homeless or women’s shelter, after-school tutoring for students or coaching a sport in a poor school district, teaching ESL to adults at a community center, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, or Meals on Wheels.

Members don't see this ad :)
My research classes with increase the BCPM to 3.58. It's on the lower side because of more recent science classes, mostly chemistry and neuroscience (counted as biology?).
All neuroscience isn't categorized as BIO. It depends primarily on the course content as reflected in the online catalog description, which is what AMCAS goes by, not the department which sponsors it.

In that case, I don't really know how I should categorize neuroscience courses. I feel like the content is pretty much biology.
What else would I categorize it as? Natural/physical sciences?
Why is this important?
If you had a low grade in a neuroscience class and didn't want it to lower your BCPM GPA, it would be nice if it qualified for another category, like PSYCH (behavioral sciences), for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.