Average Number of classes per semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NikoNLS8

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, how many classes do you usually take per semester, and do med schools look at that, is 4 looked upon negatively versus 5 for example?

Members don't see this ad.

FrkyBgStok said:
well if you are taking 12 credits per semester and you take your time than it doesn't look good to med school. i may be wrong though.

assuming you still finish in 4 yrs

Members don't see this ad :)
NikoNLS8 said:
Just wondering, how many classes do you usually take per semester, and do med schools look at that, is 4 looked upon negatively versus 5 for example?

I wouldn't look so much at the number of classes but rather the number of credits received. My freshman year I only had three classes each semester, but that was due to having an 8 credit course each semester. Now, if I had three courses that each were 4 credits, then I could see where there would be some questioning.

shantster said:
I wouldn't look so much at the number of classes but rather the number of credits received. My freshman year I only had three classes each semester, but that was due to having an 8 credit course each semester. Now, if I had three courses that each were 4 credits, then I could see where there would be some questioning.
Agree. I have a 6 hour accounting class next semester which is over a third of my 16.

shantster said:

yea, it just seems that credit load varies from school to school, a lot of people here talk about taking 20 credits, and the max allowed at my school is 18. What about 4 classes each worth 3 credits, is that bad

BrettBatchelor said:
15 is the norm. at my school and at most others.

right, but on average, how many classes does 15 credits equal to

I'm taking 17 this semester. Math is everyday at 7:30am :thumbdown:

And I do have one question. So far, I am on track to take 17 credits next semester to. However, to meet requirements, we need two semesters of a language. I have taken french since 6th grade, yet have no credits in it. I am totally confident I could sleepwalk through the first 3 levels of french classes here. So would anyone recommend I add on introduction to french next semester, so that I have 21 credits and therefore get it over with?

Chris127 said:

And I do have one question. So far, I am on track to take 17 credits next semester to. However, to meet requirements, we need two semesters of a language. I have taken french since 6th grade, yet have no credits in it. I am totally confident I could sleepwalk through the first 3 levels of french classes here. So would anyone recommend I add on introduction to french next semester, so that I have 21 credits and therefore get it over with?
yea if you are good at it, how many classes is 17 credits?

Chris127 said:

I wouldn't do it. Right now I'm taking 19 credits because I thought that it wouldn't be that bad since 3 of those are physics lecture which I already have AP credit for (many med schools don't accept it for physics). Instead, this is a killer semester for me.

Aren't you a freshman right now? If so, you would have plenty of time to take those credits later in college.

I'm taking 20 credits next semester:
1) Upper Level Biology Class
2) Integrated Psychology/Biology Class
3) Math Class (deals a lot with statistics and probability)
4) Macroeconomics
5) Short Story
6) Theories of Communication
7) Undergraduate Research in Organic Chemistry
8) Model U.N.

Piece of Cake...maybe (I pick up fast)

I won't have to study for math. I'll study the bio and econ classes the day b4 the test. Model U.N. will be over a one week period. Communication is easy. The biopsych. class will also be easy. Only have to worry about short story and orgo research

Members don't see this ad :)
I had 20+ almost every semester (one semester I had 23!). This is because my undergrad had a dual curriculum: Jewish studies and regular college stuff. So I usually took 6 or 7 classes, and with the sciences being 4 or 5 credits it added up. I was in school all day Mon-Thurs (we didn't have class on Friday, except one semester I did a Friday morning orgo lab), meaning from 9 a.m. sometimes until 6 p.m. or later, some semesters with no real break for lunch.

In any case, it seemed normal to me at the time because it was what everybody at my school did. But then when my brother started college I realized how abnormal it really was. I think it helped that my high school schedule was also pretty insane (we had 100 minute courses, except AP sciences were 200 minutes).

I was asked at my Drexel interview about my crazy schedule. I explained it and everything, and I think the interviewer was sort of impressed. But I wouldn't do this just to impress people. Stick to 15 or so if you can!

btw, how many total credits do most people graduate with? I'm just curious.

FrkyBgStok said:
well if you are taking 12 credits per semester and you take your time than it doesn't look good to med school. i may be wrong though.

I think medical schools will look at the bigger picture. Some people don't live with mommy and daddy and have bills to pay. Therefore some of us can only take 12 credits per semester. It depends on your individual situation.

tigress said:
btw, how many total credits do most people graduate with? I'm just curious.

120 at my school.

^ Same here.

Question: Will it look bad if you take 12 credits, even though all those credits are part of the BCPM? I was thinking of ONLY taking that amount of credits and no GE because I don't want my GPA to slip. Saying that, I did plan ahead and would make up for it through summer school, and also taking 15-17 credits thereafter.

The University of Washington is in the quarter system. This quarter I took 23 credits (paid extra after the first 18) and this next quarter I am taking only 17 credits. Most people here do about 12 to 15 credits a quarter. For my major I need 180 credits.

My school was weird and used these crazy things called 'GPA units'. 32 (1 per class, labs get .25 or .5 depending on length) required to graduate and I had 40.25 total. I was actually asked in an interview with the head of an MD/PhD program last year why I did that to myself (took Biochem+lab, PChem, Gen Bio+lab and econ...for a year, and MCAT class too). So I dont think credit hours matter too much as long as you can keep the GPA up and show a definite direction with your studies.

Take what you need to take to satisfy major(s) and/or minor requirements and graduation requirements (both courses and hours). Don't worry about the rest too much. Just make sure you have a balanced college experience. You WILL be very frustrated and unhappy if you try to do too much.

JG198 said:
Take what you need to take to satisfy major(s) and/or minor requirements and graduation requirements (both courses and hours). Don't worry about the rest too much. Just make sure you have a balanced college experience. You WILL be very frustrated and unhappy if you try to do too much.

oh, and if you are interested in research, give it a shot!

Chris127 said:

Your school doesn't allow you to test out of it? Usually many schools have language profiency options. I was opted out of my lower level spanish classes.

Turkeyman said:
120 at my school.
same here

AWhitehair said:
I think medical schools will look at the bigger picture. Some people don't live with mommy and daddy and have bills to pay. Therefore some of us can only take 12 credits per semester. It depends on your individual situation.
THANK YOU for mentioning it. I was going to say that as well. But when you are submitting your resume and work experiences with your app/interview then you are given the chance to redeem yourself. There are many ways to get into medical school. :thumbup:

averaging around 21 credits a semester. But having 12 this semester is so nice :)

JG198 said:

I agree. Last spring I took 17 hours (but with 5 labs it felt more like 25) along with working 50+ hours/week to pay for all of those classes and it was the absolute worst 4 months of my life. I seriously felt like I was trying to do 25 hours of work in a 24 hour day and my relationships with family, friends (and my bed) suffered tremendously. Also, even though you plan on taking fairly easy classes you WILL be spending MUCH more time in school/library than if you had just taken the average 15 hours. This type of courseload (again, only from my experiences) hastens the onset of the dreaded burnout.

To the OP, as other posters have mentioned, it really doesn't matter how many classes you take, but the hours of credit you receive and the difficulty of those classes.

My university requires 124 hours for graduation (weird huh? I thought it was 120 across the board, oh well just one extra science class with lab it won't kill me).

Most semesters I have taken around 17 or 18 (BME major), but my last semester I managed to schedule 12....very nice and relieving. Unfortunately 2 of those 12 are my engineering senior design project, which should count more like 6 in my opinion....I would have a super easy time if I were a bio major instead, but oh well, I got myself into this one. Im graduating with 148 next may.